SMITH & WESSON - 50CAL PISTOL?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 21, 2002
Sacramento, CA

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. -- Dirty Harry is now outgunned: Smith & Wesson has introduced its biggest handgun ever, a .50-caliber Magnum revolver.

The five-shot Model 500 revolver with an 81/2 inch barrel weighs 721/2 ounces, or about 4 1/2 pounds - roughly a pound more than the big-frame .44-caliber Magnum boasted by Dirty Harry in the movies.

It fires a new .50-caliber cartridge that the company said produces nearly three times the muzzle energy of the .44 Magnum.

Company president Roy C. Cuny said the new revolver builds on the .357 Magnum revolver it introduced in the 1930s and the .44 Magnum that it brought out in the 1950s.

The .50-caliber gun, which sells for $989, is one of nine new models the company introduced this week at a trade show in Orlando, Fla. Cuny said it was the largest number of new introductions in recent years.

Handgun sales have long been on the decline in the United States, and Smith & Wesson has struggled along with other gunmakers.

But Smith & Wesson, long the industry leader, also lost business after a negotiating a settlement with the government over gun safety, agreeing last year to include safety locks on all its guns, as well as to a series of other safety features and marketing changes.

When the other gunmakers decided not to follow Smith & Wesson's lead, gun advocates blamed the company for selling out.

Smith & Wesson Corp., based in Springfield, is a subsidiary of Smith & Wesson Holding Corp., based in Scottsdale, Ariz.

May 5, 2002
cool i like the d.e. model of a 50cal better something bout revolvers i don't like about it, i like the mags batter easier reloading

May 12, 2002
You gotta remember the Desert Eagle and others before it are 50 Cal's. This is a 50 magnum and is supposed to have more powder. You get the same capacity except it is much easier to load the Eagle. Your accuracy should be much better with the S&W though. Either way if you get hit, its curtains.