Seattle vs Portland

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

CODE

Sicc OG
Oct 20, 2002
I apologize up front for this thread because it has nothing to do NW rap.....

But I just got a job offer form a big name firm in the finacial services/brokerage Industry in dowtown Portland in the US bank tower......

I have until Monday to sign the contract. So, I have until Monaday to decide if I want to relocate to Portland from Seattle, indefinetly......

What I thought of Portland, when i was there visiting last month, was a city with a Seattle feel only half the size and about 5 years behind the times of Seattle without traffic.......

Is Portland a straight city to live in?
What jumps off in Portland?
What neighborghoods would you want to live in (downtown, I know about the Pearl and Goose hallow)?
Restaraunts downtown, clubs, areas?
Economically viable?

any feedback would be appreciated.....

Jul 10, 2002
^^^
I don't know much about P-town (although I was just down there last tues.). It's pretty small, easy to get around downtown, and easy to park...

My $.02 is that if the job is lucrative and in the field your interested in, go for it. Nowhere does it say your stuck their for life, but build your expierience and resume. If its terrible 6 months ain't that long to stick around and bounce, if you can tolerate it stick with it for 1-2 years, and if your diggin it, keep on keepin' on! Unless you are expecting better offers or deals to come rollin' in, if this one fits your criteria you may wanna entertain the possibility... also the cost of living in P-Town is like 1/2 that in seattle...

bottom line though, its all on you...

Holla!

p.s. congrats homie, looks like your at where you want to be, stay strong w/ your hustle mayne...

Oct 12, 2004
if u want the fast life stay in seattle
if u wanna slow it up and catch a breath and watch your next move go to portland
most importantly id stay where im from so i can hold it down and rep to the fullest, another thing is that portland aint very far from seattle so there reallly aint no reason to relocate yadidimean?

Aug 20, 2004
Jomodo said:
^^^
I don't know much about P-town (although I was just down there last tues.). It's pretty small, easy to get around downtown, and easy to park...

My $.02 is that if the job is lucrative and in the field your interested in, go for it. Nowhere does it say your stuck their for life, but build your expierience and resume. If its terrible 6 months ain't that long to stick around and bounce, if you can tolerate it stick with it for 1-2 years, and if your diggin it, keep on keepin' on! Unless you are expecting better offers or deals to come rollin' in, if this one fits your criteria you may wanna entertain the possibility... also the cost of living in P-Town is like 1/2 that in seattle...

bottom line though, its all on you...

Holla!

p.s. congrats homie, looks like your at where you want to be, stay strong w/ your hustle mayne...
And regardless...youre only what...4 hours from Seattle...so its still like home...you could be relocatin to somewhere like NY...now THAT would be drastic...

CODE

Sicc OG
Oct 20, 2002
Good lookin yall....

JOMODO.....as always, thanks for the positive words. How is business these days in the rising interest rate enviroment? Do you know much about Countrywide? I know I can get on with Ameriquest or Countrywide as a loan officer....holla at me on the pm tho....

Feb 21, 2003
www.myspace.com
Portland not that bad! I was born & raised here & prefer this small city over Seattle cuz I could care less about the traffic up that way. As far as living in the P.O. I prefer North & NE Portland over the rest of the city(Even though North & Inner NEP are going through regentrification).

There are quite a few Night Clubs downtown & as you may or may not know Portland full of strip clubs.

May 6, 2002
nonstop.bandcamp.com
portland is bigger then yall think.. "Portland Metro population • 2,006,308"... and calm is right... the northside is goin thru a major gentrification... so it looks like were gonna start seein alot of hoods pop up in gresham and southeast... and you can buy a house over here for dirt cheap cause the crime rates brought the property values down so far...

but its still been kinda crazy around here.. and alot of the white ppl are movin out because of the violence... but the minorities enroled in schools have been dropping every year around here, so that means they're prolly all movin away... if your a monority this city will just make you hate white ppl even more..... but i guess thats natural if you see your neighborhoods change before your eyes...

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
xpanther206 said:
Yeah if you have a car that can fly. Heavy traffic it can be 4-5 hours easy.
Man.....I have driven to Portland and back hella times at all times of the day and night and it's never taken more than 2 1/2 hours. Maybe if there was an accident and the freeway was movin' at 30mph.....ALL THE WAY THERE.

Portland is about 200 miles away......if you're smashing doin' 70-80mph (or faster).....do the math smart guy.

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
I was offered $50,000 a year when I was 17 from a company in Beaverton, Oregon called Metro One Telecommunications and it was the smartest decision I ever made. Beaverton is right next to Portland and although at the time I didn't really give a fuck what the city was like I must say P-Town is hella tight. I was looking only at the money and opportunity and used it to my advantage. I was at that job for only 6 months but I used it to get another job in Redmond, Washington which I had for five years. Seattle is my home though, I figured that out real quick in Oregon. I missed all my family and friends and when I got off work Friday night I would drive back to Seattle for the weekend until Monday morning when I would drive 3 hours to work. I'm an evergreen state man myself, to the fullest. But I think it would be a smart idea for you to take that job and if you miss the town use that job to your advantage. That's my $.02...

Apr 25, 2002
^^

For some reason I thought you were like 19 years old right out of Shorewood HS. Must be older than I thought, still pretty impressive resume for someone so young.

CODE

Sicc OG
Oct 20, 2002
LOL.....

I'm takin it to Portland tomorrow morning, I'll let ya know what I decide....

Thanks for all the input from everyone.