(SD Hip-Hop) "a subterranean Sasquatch existence" Citybeat Review

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 13, 2008
www.youngmass.com
"... a city (San Diego) where local hip-hop mostly lives a subterranean Sasquatch existence." - Nathan Dinsdale (From the "Young Mass Presents... The Best Of Daygo City" album review in this weeks SD Citybeat weekly)

But we DID get the "EXTRASPECIALGOOD" tag! Shoutout to HeatRok who's "Gritty trunk-thumper" ("Feelin Like Ooh Wee") got props along with the tracks by Jimmy Powers, OCT, & Mr. Ridley. Why thay got to speak down on the albums best song title... Crhymes' cannabis anthem "Smoke And Get High" with Tha Cor?!?! I love that joint!!!!

Man... thay really slam some of the local talent hard in thease reviews??? (Alow would fit in well) Peep some excerpts:

"This CD was hand-delivered by the band’s stripper-hot drummer along with a bottle of Crown Royal. Good thing, because I’d need to be drunk to enjoy this generic Ramones-style pop-punk. "

"...people who listened to your album want to punch you in the nut-sack"

" ...mostly it just makes me want to give myself a vasectomy" ,

"...I paid nothing for XXX's demo and I still feel robbed."

Audios, Higher Minds, Zany-Zane, Mag-Flux, Pac 10, Parker and the Numberman, and 50/50(Miki Vale) are in there to name just a few of the Hip hop reviews. Overall it's a good read with some funny slams.

Peep it -> http://sdcitybeat.com/cms/story/detail/the_great_demo_review_2010_part_three/9053/

New Mass track "Misery" now up at -> http://www.myspace.com/massterpiece

Aug 13, 2008
www.youngmass.com
I know... I guess thay are known for the slams in this yearly issue. This is the text...

EXTRASPECIALGOOD
Young Mass Presents…
The Best of Daygo City

With some three-dozen local rappers featured on this album, you’d think that at least some of them can handle a microphone. The album is noteworthy enough for the fact that it assembles 20 legitimate tracks in a city where local hip-hop mostly lives a subterranean Sasquatch existence. But, to the credit of ringmaster Young Mass, Daygo City does, in fact, represent a solid collection of homegrown talent. Granted, a lot of the subject material is threadbare with lyrical content often mirroring the base instincts of song titles that range from the not-so-subtle (“Work My Kitty”) to the absurdly straightforward (“Smoke and Get High”). Then again, one of the album’s high-water marks is HeatRok’s gritty trunk-thumper “Feelin Like Ooh Wee,” which sounds like it could have been a b-side on the Hustle & Flow soundtrack. Other highlights include “Same James” (Jimmy Powers), “Come Correct” (O.C.T. / Outta Control) and “Danger! Danger!” (Mr. Ridley, Bazerkowitz, Trust 1, Matlock). Curiously, most of the tracks (with “Free” a possible exception) featuring Young Mass play second fiddle to the best the album has to offer, but he deserves credit for offering them up in the first place. Labeling this the best San Diego has to offer might not be entirely accurate, but it’s a good start. MS/massterpiece.

—Nathan Dinsdale

Dec 9, 2008
The City Beat is heavily bias towards indy rock...

they always talk about the hip hop scene being hard to find, but I have personally invited them to numerous events but they don't show up...

they just fail to recognize anything happening outside of downtown and northpark it..

is what it is...

The music editor of the City Beat's name is Seth Combs..holler @ him and let him know.

[email protected]