S/PDIF

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
I've searched and read the (only) thread regarding S/PDIF, but I didn't get too much information for it. I also research it on Wikipedia, but that just confused me even more. My question is, what exactly can S/PDIF be used for?

I've seen that people use them for CD and/or DVD players when connecting hardware. Could this be a way for importing audio into a computer (DAW) through an M-Audio Fast Track Pro for example?

Oct 11, 2005
Spdif is basiclly one cable that can transfer 2 channels of audio (R and L) at the same time. It is a purely digtal cable so some sort of AD converter must be used on the way in and some sort of DA converter must be used on the way out.

Example:

On your fast track pro, you might use your spdif in and out to bypass the Fast Track's onboard converters (which are wack imo). You would plug your mic into a standalone converter/mic pre like lets say an Apogee mini me, which would than plug into the spdif's in port. This would successfully bypass the fast tracks ad converter instead using the mini me's converter. From there you can A) use the fast tracks outputs to your monitors (which is crappy conversion) or B) use a da converter like lets say a benchmark and go from the spdif out to the benchmack dac and than to your monitors. This would than give you a top notch 2 channel signal threw a mediocre interface.

Hopes this helps and didnt make things more confusing.

May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
It kinda did confuse me a little more. I'm not too up on AD/DA converters. So, say for example I'm getting pretty good audio through my Fast Track Pro (as for now, since my funds and knowledge aren't allowing me to step up at this time), would I have any use for the S/PDIF, based on what you stated above?

Oct 11, 2005
It kinda did confuse me a little more. I'm not too up on AD/DA converters. So, say for example I'm getting pretty good audio through my Fast Track Pro (as for now, since my funds and knowledge aren't allowing me to step up at this time), would I have any use for the S/PDIF, based on what you stated above?
Nope, if your happy with you product than I say its not nessecary. Its more of a luxury to have it sinces its basically 2 more channels of audio that you have to provide the converters for if you wanted to get a great sounding signal path.

May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
Wanted to bump this up to ask another question regarding SPDIF.

I have a cheap little DVD player (think I paid about $30 for it) and I want to run that though my Fast Track Pro to record some audio. Would the Digital Audio Out (Coaxial) port on the DVD player be the equivalent to or the same thing as SPDIF? If so, I'm having problems getting sound into Pro Tools. I have the Digital Audio Out of the DVD player plugged into the SPDIF in on the Fast Track, but I don't get any sound coming through, and when I hit record in Pro Tools I get a loud buzzing noise and no audio.

I'm kind of thinking that it's because I coupled two cables together. Not sure if that's the problem, but I'll check that out to see if it changes anything. But any advice would help.

yes

Sicc OG
Feb 9, 2006
^^^sscandal knows his shit basically if you get an ad/converter or what not you could run up all the way to a 192k sample rate which will give you a more true sound then what your recording then having a 96k system which is ok but is nothin like 192

Jun 12, 2004
deepsleeprecords.com
Coaxial=s/pdif
s/pdif=Sony/Phillips digital interface.

It's just a way to transfer audio digitally. If that's confusing, think of it as transferring data and not audio. You're not limited to audio signals but typically, that's what you use it for.

The advantage is that other than jitter, you transfer the audio exactly as it is without any quality loss. So if you have a workstation keyboard or anything else, an audio recorder, etc... instead of going from the audio 1/4" outputs into the inputs of the audio device, you go digital to digital and have no quality loss. Converters are not perfect and going from the keyboard analog audio outputs takes 1 digital to analog conversion and then to get it into the DAW it takes an analog to digital converstion. To avoid errors and noise from the analog audio transfer and conversions, you go digital to digital and avoid that altogether.

The reason why your digital to digital transfer is not working is probably because you're not using the right type of cables. RCA cables that are used for home stereo systems and other consumer-level devices are not the same as the cables needed for digital audio transfters. You need to get a cable for digital audio or a video RCA cable might work also. The impendance is different from what I can remember so that's why any RCA cable won't work.

You might also have to choose a sync source, whether internal or external, when it comes to d/pdif, adat, tdif, etc... This is why there's devices such as the apogee Big Ben, which is used to "clock" a series of digital devices.

May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
I am using Digital Audio Coaxial cables. Went out and bought the from Target, Sony brand. If you can, could you give me some direction on how to get this to work because I know longer have the manual for the DVD player and I still can't get this to work. Would appreciate it.

Jun 12, 2004
deepsleeprecords.com
I don't fuck with Pro tools but it might just be a matter of selecting the right inputs on the tracks. Usually the analog ins are inputs 1 and 2 for the left and right channels respectively and s/pdif is channels 3 and 4.

Clocking is probably already set to "internal" but that should be somewhere in your audio preferences in PT. You shouldn't have to but if internal is no good, select external and choose the spdif connection as the clocking source.