RIP

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 9, 2003
I would like to give a heartfelt RIP to Bay Area Rap Music. It's been 7 long years since you died, and I've thought about you often during that time. Sometimes I wish you were still around with us, but I can't bring back the dead so its time for myself and the rest of the mourners to move on. I know that many people are fronting like you're still here with us, but they are deep in denial and unable to cope with the loss. Some may claim to have seen you dining with Elvis or appearing in a Baby Beesh video, but the rest of us know the bitter truth about your demise.

Bay Area Rap Music, like all other trends, you've gone to the great beyond and joined other dead genres of music like Ragtime, Disco, New Wave, Punk rock, and Hair Bands. You will be missed.

Dana Dane

RIP Vallejo Kid
May 3, 2002
Terrapatch said:
Some may claim to have seen you dining with Elvis or appearing in a Baby Beesh video,
Fuck everything else...this line was funny as hell.

The bay ain't dead though dude.

Sep 9, 2003
^^^^That implies that 12 good bay cds came out in the past year. 12 good bay cds haven't come out in the past SEVEN years, let alone the past 12 months. And Mac Dre is a pale imitation of his old Rompilation self. Anyone who puts out 5 cds a year, and only a quarter of the songs on each is good, needs to consolidate all that into 1 good album.

Apr 25, 2002
who remembers that interview with e40. he was talkin about how the bay been puttin shit in rap that rappers use now. like back in the mid 90's the bay had liquor bottles and shit in the videos, but it got edited out. now you turn on the tv you see drank all over the place. bay area rap is starting some new shit. people talk about how the bay aint as tight as it was in the mid 90s. yall wrong. bay rap is still that tight, its just on a different level. pick up that keak da sneak "copium" and get stoopid wit it!! WHAT IT IZZZZZZZZZ WHAT IT DOOOO, FOO U DONT KNOW ME!!

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
Well I wont say that 12 good bay Cd's have come out in the past year, but just for fun (not to argue your point at all) i can name 12 in the last 7 years with ease, all from different artists.

E-40 - Element Of Suprise
Luniz - Luniztik Muzik
Mac Dre - Stupid Doo Doo Dumb
Yukmouth - Thugged Out
3x Krazy - Stackin' Chips
San Quinn & Messy Marv - Explosive Mode
Mac Mall - Mackin' Speaks Louder Than Words
B-Legit - Hemp Museum (7th years in a month)
The Click - Money And Muscle
The Jacka - Jacka
Andre Nickatina & Equipto - Midnight Machinegun etc...
Keak Da Sneak - Counting Other Peoples Money

There's way no anyone can argue any of the CD's on that list without being in the minority (With the exception of the keak if you havent gotten into it or just dont like him).

I know your whole point & what you're trying to get across... I don't even disagree too much... but I think 7 years might be just a bit too much.

& If you add Sacramento to the bay area (I know its not... i know... but sac rappers are always sick), then I could double that list :)

Feb 19, 2003
You want a dozen? I'll give you a dozen (or more)!

Well, Terrapatch is entitled to his opinion, and I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I CAN name at least a dozen Bay rap CDs from the past year that could be considered good (if not great), provided that you listen to them w/ an open mind and NOT expect them to sound like '92-'96:

Game Inflikted--DA CHRONICLEZ (nice debut--hard lyrics...)
Too Short--MARRIED TO THE GAME (not real Bay-ish, but still cool)
E-40--BREAKING NEWS (let it grow on you--you may be surprised)
Keak--COPIUM (Keak never fails to blow my mind...)
Mac Dre--AL BOO BOO (his flow's better than it's been lately. Funny guy...)
Yukmouth--GODZILLA (Yuk shows that he can do it all here...)
JT--PROJECT POETRY (JT raps from his heart and not his wallet...)
The GLP--STRAIGHT OUT THE LABB #2 (JT still produces dope tracks)
Ecay Uno's debut (not sure if he's Bay or not)
FE--WHAT WE DO (versatile)
Black C.--LAST MAN STANDING (still puttin' it down)
Young Thugg--THUG LIVIN' (another good debut)
Jay Tee--HIGH CALIBER (40 Ounce never disappoints)
U.D.I.--THE HANGOVER (bottoms up!)
Taydatay--OUT OF SIGHT, ON THE GRIND (different for Tay, but cool)
Rydah J. Klyde--FLY GANGSTA (solid and fun)
P.S.D.--U AIN'T HEARD OF ME?!? (waaaaay slept-on)
The Gamblaz--THUNDEROUS MUZIK (short but tight. Dope Mal tracks)
Dubee-TURFMATIC (dope and fun if taken on its' own terms)
The Done Deal Fam--MIXTAPE #1 (can't wait for more)
The Delinquents--TOWN BUSINESS (pros keep it real to themselves)

There's probably others, but I'll stop there. Here's a quote from Chuck D. Yeah, I know he's not Bay-related, but it's germane to this topic:

"If someone comes along and complains about Rap being 'not what it used to be', it's only a sign of THAT PERSON getting old."

Many people have a hard time seeing past that--whatever era THEY grew up is what they consider "the best," and they just can't break out of their "era." An '80s' teen may say that the '80s music was the "best", but a person who came of age during the '70s' may argue that the music of the '70s' is the "best." To appreciate today's Bay Rap, you have to get your head out of the '90s, IMHO...

Eazy-E once said (regarding street rap): "As long as you've got gangstas and other people going through this shit, the music will be around in one form or another." And that goes for Bay rap, too, even if much of the world doesn't know about it. PEACE!

Rusto

Sicc OG
Nov 2, 2002
the problem with bay rap is NOTHING stands out anymore. Its like its all mashed together into one big mix tape.

N

NOSTRIL KING

I'm a lyrics man. I love good beats, and I love gangsta shit - but I just can't deal with the bullshit lyrical content in bay CDs.

"[Random line about pimping]/
[random line about having fancy things]/
[random line about having a gun]/
[random line about blasting someone]/
[poor attempt at a creative threat]/
[another threat]/
[attempt at lyricism making no sense]/
[attempt at speed rap making no sense]/
[idiotic metaphor]/
[simile disguised as metaphor]/
[braggadocio about sexual skill]/
[braggadocio about large penis]/
[braggadocio about treating women like trash]/
[braggadocio about large drug money stashes]/
[braggadocio about large car]/
[random threat using title of the song]

[generic chorus about street cred]

^^^^THAT IS EVERY SINGLE BAY SONG IN THE PAST 7 YEARS. I AGREE WITH TERRAPATCH 100%.

Aug 27, 2003
www.thewritersoven.com
nostril king u hav nothing positive in life do you? If you are so sick of bay music and everything is so weak to you. stop coming to a form that talks about bay music fruity pebbles.

anyway, my opinion is this:

the problem in the bay is that too many people "think" they can rap, they were fans of the early bay legends, started to bust a few lines themselves and said, "hey look we can put out a cd too!" and the sad thign is that sum sorry ass folks really boost their confidence by saying, yeha your shits hot... theres just to much shit out on the market, too many people tryign to do it..its like a fad, like wearign your fuckin pants backwards but the sad thign is this fad aint fading at all, anytime soon.

Apr 25, 2002
Damn... remember the days when you could buy pretty much any Bay release and that shit was on KNOCK!!! Then slowly, around the end of the golden era, you started realizing the Bay releases were getting weaker and weaker, but you still forced yourself to like them.

Finally, after much money wasted on dusty, unlistened-to Bay cds sitting on the shelf, you woke up and realized the dream was over. The mourning began, and we been stuck in the pit ever since.

Aug 18, 2002
?????........some you were in grade school '94-'96, I doubt those of you really know what your speaking on. I'm not bitter, just tired of all this bitching. Plenty of good music out on these streets today....to each his own. If you can't find it....that's on you homie.

Aug 9, 2002
Who ever say that the bay is dead then something is wrong with their head. i'm from dago and the bay ain't never died down here. but L.A on the other hand is pushin up seaweed.

Jul 6, 2002
$o. $an Fran
The problem with the bay is everybody talkin about the bay is dead over and over. It's bad enough wit main stream but when people from our own back yard talk that shit man it's sad. I think the bay will always be tight fuck that mutha fuckin bullshit.