RAIDERS sign Ray Buchanan

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 6, 2002
On Friday, Buchanan made a big play in prolonging his career, agreeing to a five-year, $12 million deal with the Oakland Raiders to be a free safety first and cornerback if needed.

Because Oakland has only about $125,000 in available cap funds, the team must first clear some salary cap room before it can officially sign Buchanan to a contract, which offiicials told ESPN.com would be completed next week.

It's fitting he would sign with the Raiders, who seem to relish signing long-time veterans. Buchanan hinted of his desire to play in Oakland after the Atlanta Falcons released him last month. He visited the Raiders Friday after attending the NFL Players Association Annual Meeting in Hawaii and was ready to sign immediately.

"I wanted to find a team that has some loyalty," Buchanan said. "There is a lot of history and a lot of background with the Raiders. I was excited about it. I walked out of the building wearing a Raider hat with the shield on it. It's a great feeling."

Oakland already features a pair of top-shelf cornerbacks in "franchise" player Charles Woodson and emerging star Phillip Buchanan (no relation). Other cornerbacks on the roster include Nnamdi Asomugha, the Raiders' first-round pick in 2003, along with journeyman veterans Clarence Love and Ike Charlton.

At free safety, Buchanan believes he has a chance to get back into making big plays. He has 46 career interceptions, but only three over the past two seasons in Atlanta. By mid-season, he's lost his starting position, though the Falcons were using him a little at safety.

"I have a goal and my goal is to get double-digit sacks for a team," Buchanan said. "I think that could happen at free safety."

By signing Buchanan, the Raiders gain plenty of flexibility. It's not out of the question for Rod Woodson to retire if his knee isn't right. And then there is the possibility of Charles Woodson, an unsigned franchise player, holding out.

"I give them a lot of flexibility because I can play safety, but if they need me, I can go out on the edge and play corner, too," Buchanan said. "They can use me in the slot to cover. My hands are not tied."

The former Louisville star has 723 career tackles and an amazing 170 passes defensed. Buchanan has at least one interception every year in the NFL and seven times had four or more pickoffs.

He began his career with Indianapolis in 1993 as a third-round draft choice. After four seasons with the Colts, he signed with Atlanta as a "transition" free agent in 1997 and was chosen for the Pro Bowl in 1998.

May 6, 2002
smitdaddy said:
The Raiders did the right thing going all D in the offseason.
for sure!! Al knows what he is doing.. we are going to be deep in those "just in case situations"(injuries)... it's going to be hard to come to our home and score! ya feel me

welcome to the Black Hole.................

Jan 4, 2003
Now this either means that c.wood will be traded since ray plays CB or Rod Woodson will retire and then Ray will be starting free safety

Jan 4, 2003
fuck yeah the damn bucs taught us that D wins championships..So I think we done a great job so far getting or Defense built now its time to finish the D off and start on the Offense which wont be bad since we normally have the #1 offense