Raiders give Culpepper a workout

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 22, 2003
www.dankmobb.com
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/30/SPGPJR9MK23.DTL
(07-30) 18:06 PDT NAPA -- The Raiders gave free-agent quarterback Daunte Culpepper a workout Monday in Florida, a league source confirmed Monday, the latest indication No. 1 draft pick JaMarcus Russell's holdout could last awhile.

Personnel staffer George Streeter oversaw the workout with Culpepper, an eight-year veteran who was cut by the Miami Dolphins on July 17.

Culpepper missed nine games in 2005 after needing major surgery to repair three torn ligaments in his right knee. He has told reporters his knee is now fine.

The tryout came as Raiders coach Lane Kiffin praised quarterback Josh McCown, who is splitting first-team snaps with Andrew Walter.

"He's shown us that he continues to make plays," Kiffin said after a morning practice Monday. "As you watch the film, god, he's not scared of anything. If you watch him around his team now, this team kind of watched him a little bit. I guess you can call him the guy, he's a real guy. You notice it, the receivers, the linemen, he's fitting in really well."
Looks like J-Russ is going to hold out for a while.

Quick

May 6, 2002
Yay Area, CA
BrOwn_BoY said:
WHATS THE POINT THERES NO WAY THERE GONNA SIGN ESPECCIALLY WITH THE MONEY WERE GIVING TO RUSSELL.
A guy that hasnt played since 05 and just got cut from the Dolphins, isnt going to cost that much.

Plus Russell is holding out too.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Culpepper won't sign with the Raiders... makes no sense at all. Russell will eventually sign. McCown is probably going to be the starter anyways.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Damn it looks like they're serious about Culpepper... I maybe wrong. If anything he'll probably sign a one year deal... right?

Mar 16, 2005
well well well I guess all still is not well in Raider Nation....lol

but I wont say anymore since I will just be labled a hater anyways even though I speak the truth!

Feb 28, 2007
ALL HAS NEVER BENN WELL FOR THE RAIDERS LATELY YOU SHOULDNT BE SUPRISED. THERES NOTHING OUTRAGOUSLY WRONG WITH A HOLD OUT IF IT DOES HAPPEN. HE PROBABLY WASNT GOING TO BE THE OPENING DAY STARTER.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
thascary1 said:
well well well I guess all still is not well in Raider Nation....lol

but I wont say anymore since I will just be labled a hater anyways even though I speak the truth!
J-Russ isn't the only qb holding out... there are a few more holdouts so it's not just in Raider nation. The Raiders should have been in negotiations with Russell before they drafted him.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
weren't people talking about getting culpepper earlier to guide russell? I say cut walter and sign culpepper, have him start with mccown as the backup all while prepping russell to take over late in the season (unless culpepper does well and there's a chance to make the playoffs, but realisticly that probably won't happen)

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
J-Russ isn't the only qb holding out... there are a few more holdouts so it's not just in Raider nation. The Raiders should have been in negotiations with Russell before they drafted him.
ding ding ding ding

this is why JR holding out is more of a concern than say Quinn.

Quinn is holding out because he "thinks" he deserves higher pay even though he was drafted lower....that's a stalemate

on the other hand JR knew he was probably #1...Raiders knew they were probably drafting him...GET THE DEAL DONE BEFORE YOU PICK HIM!

Now the raiders could be getting screwed...if Lions cave into Calvins demands that makes JR's contract stance even higher!

Shoulda got it down.

And it's not about who is starting the season....TRAINING CAMP is about leraning the way the team runs....JR is not there......he's not learning, he's not gdtting to know the team, etc etc etc......

He is just falling more and more behind now...and this in turn causes more problems for raider nation

So this isn't like the other qb's holding out.....they should had him signed by noe, because if the lions cave into Calvin and what if the Browns cave into Quinn???? OUCH FOR THE RAIDERS!!!!!

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
@ thascary 1...I agree mostly with what you said... but I say "Ouch" for other teams that are dealing with hold outs as well. Carolina, K.C., Detroit.

@Defy... I don't see Culpepper starting over McCown if they did sign Culpepper. It's McCown's job to lose. He's been there since day 1 and it wouldn't be fair for the Raiders to bring in Culpepper (who's not 100% anyway) and just hand him the starting job. McCown's been putting in the most work and has been a great team player so far. He's the starting Qb this year regardless of what happens with JR/Culpepper.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
If anyone is looking like an idiot it's Brady Quinn. He fell in the draft and got the nerve to hold out. Cleveland did him a favor by drafting him he should at least do them a favor and accept what they're offering him. If Cleveland didn't draft him he probably would of ended up getting drafted in the second round.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
^I'm a raider fan, I get my hopes up every time the season starts (yeah, I know thats setting me up for a joke :ermm:)

@Tony: it ain't really about who's been there since day one, its about who will benifit the team more. I don't see mccown as a better qb than culpepper. I think that if he's signed and gets in quickly he has a good chance of starting, and a hell of alot better than walter. kiffen seems like a logical coach and would have them compete for the starting position, not just hand it to someone because they've been with the raiders longer or they've been in the nfl longer.

scary - why is this 1st round qb holdout any different than any of the other 1st round qb holdouts in the past?

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Defy said:
@Tony: it ain't really about who's been there since day one, its about who will benifit the team more. I don't see mccown as a better qb than culpepper. I think that if he's signed and gets in quickly he has a good chance of starting, and a hell of alot better than walter. kiffen seems like a logical coach and would have them compete for the starting position, not just hand it to someone because they've been with the raiders longer or they've been in the nfl longer.
I hear you... but McCown has had an early jump as far as the playbook/training camp goes. You see Walter fell behind because he had surgery. He (McCown) has been puttin' in the most work... taking most snaps with the 1st team offense. Culpepper is not even fully recovered from his surgery or injury or whatever is going on with him. I think if they did sign Culpepper there would be no way he'd beat McCown out for the starting job at the beginning of the season. No way...

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
Tony said:
@ thascary 1...I agree mostly with what you said... but I say "Ouch" for other teams that are dealing with hold outs as well. Carolina, K.C., Detroit.

@Defy... I don't see Culpepper starting over McCown if they did sign Culpepper. It's McCown's job to lose. He's been there since day 1 and it wouldn't be fair for the Raiders to bring in Culpepper (who's not 100% anyway) and just hand him the starting job. McCown's been putting in the most work and has been a great team player so far. He's the starting Qb this year regardless of what happens with JR/Culpepper.
The NFL isn't a friend's league; it's a business. Fair doesn't mean shit...

Walter's been there longer than McCown; by your standards, HE should be the starter.

Culpepper > McCown...Culpepper's had a devestating injury, so he could have an excuse for underperforming for 2 years...McCown's never done anything in a relatively healthy career.