R&B/RAP ACTS IN THE INDUSTRY...(DISCUSSION)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.dugoutent.com
What are your thoughts on R&B/RAP acts? And why are there not too many out right now that are being pushed?

When I speak on this, I mean cats who can both sing and rap. Folks like Mr.Droop, Jae Rilla, Luni, Matai & even cats who got a semi mid tempo sing type voice in hooks like Mr.Kee or Vell of Full Clip.

What are your thoughts on this and do any of you think there is a market for it? I honestly think there is, because from my standpoint it show's versitility and not only that but show's that you have no boundaries. I guess you can say I am bias because it's my style of music. But, I don't see why it's not pushed and strived for more in the industry. I would love to pick up an album like that from any of the artist's I listed and even some I ain't heard of.

Maybe we're stuck in the era of we need the hard shyt still? Your thoughts folks?

PR.

Apr 25, 2002
www.dugoutent.com
I should also add ^you^ to that list. Cause it's there but I mean it's like not enough folks are trying to take the chance....maybe fear of rejection or no real sales?

I agree with what you said as well. There is something about singing added to a song by the artist himself. It puts feeling behind him/her and just creates another dimension. And like you said, the possiblity of a radio hit.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean Ja Rule type ish, but actual smooth shyt...

Apr 25, 2002
oh my dam. Shea Shea on the vocalz??!?! can't wait to hear that!

I agree, I love a nice smooth cut more singing less rappin. Mary J Blige does it a lot and does it well.

I'd like to see the folks who have the talent to sing as well as bust a verse shine more!

Apr 25, 2002
www.dugoutent.com
Yea the age does take a toll on the voice. I agree. It's good to hear your using more of it now Shea, might as well....I think it's just another addition to the arsenal and one that may get you more guest features if not for rapping, for singing. :)

I'd like to hear your ish if you ever get a minute....I'll let you hear the tracks I just finished writing once I get them recorded....you may be pleasantly surprised. ;)

PR.

Aug 16, 2002
I like when rappers throw a liitle singin in there music as long as its they sound coo doin it! like tha Jacka & Hustlah both got that kind of style and a group from sac called CCH got that style too!

GOTTI

Apr 25, 2002
www.dugoutent.com
SOAK::GAME - I can dig that!

SHEA - Bet that....sounds good. I got one called "Goin Crazy" you may really dig that's on some ol' Genuwine type shyt....that is what was told to me. I'll let you be the judge when it's done. It's pretty sick.

TACT - What songs does Twista have like that and what album? I need to peep that for real.

Rican Gotti - 1st of all good to see another Rican on the board and 2nd, does CCH have an album out yet?

PR.

Apr 25, 2002
I feel u on this one, there definitely should be more. The style is pretty tight, in a way I guess we are kinda talkin about a Nelly though? Nelly is around, he has merged his style much better than Lunasicc or any of the above artists. Thats why he's on the radio.
I think Luni could probably DO it, but I havent really heard any great vocals from him since "Do You Wanna Get High," maybe i'm slippin about this because Im hella high right now but thats all i can really think of in terms of his singing that blew my mind.

Apr 25, 2002
www.dugoutent.com
I think you right. Um, Nelly in a sense is singing when he raps too...but I do understand how folks can get annoyed by it's repetitiveness. The song I like from Nel is the Batter Up track. That shyt knocks and I like how he mixed it up. My track from Lunasicc has to be the one where he sings: "If you see me on the 100 spokes.....(and so on)" That track knocks.

Also now that we talkin Sac shyt....I like the cat that sang on Lynch's shyt...."I Refuse To Lose....Fuck them 22's....I gotta AP10 and a throw away tech 9 so you ni**as can't fuck with mine...." That song gets me every time...he is the same cat that is on The Plague singing "Is Anybody Listening". Tight vocals.

PR.

Apr 25, 2002
www.masteredtrax.com
Im feelin this idea like fuck Rae, my lady thinks its girlish cause I dont always bump that hard shit and I like the singing on the hooks and shit like that but I would rather hear that then some shoot em up shit, i listen to that all day everyday and sometimes the other shit just sounds better after a long day. But anyway, cucizy is interested in this and of course with Denise backin us, look for Unknown Muzic Ent. to do a lot of this kind of music.

Apr 25, 2002
i think jae rilla does it tha best.. He does it alot on his songs andi hella feel what he's doin.

Shea: it dosent matter to me if its singin to a girl or whateva.. I think songs like tha Luv letters on Reese album is a good example.. Rae did a pretty good job on that..

Aug 16, 2002
@ D.U.G.O.U.T

ITS GOOD TO KNOW THERE IS ANOTHER BORICUA ON HERE TOO I THOUGHT I WAS ON SOLO!!

ABOUT CCH THEY GOT AN ALBUM OUT CALLED "WE BUBBLIN" AND THA SHIT IS A CLASSIC IT STAYS IN ROTATION IN MY RIDE, ITS A REAL KICK BACK ALBUM SOMETHING TO SMOKE TO! ITS A TRIP THAT YOU LIKE THAT CAT D-DUBB FORM LYNCH'S SHIT CAUSE HE IS ON LIKE 5 TRACKS ON THE CCH ALBUM AND HE DOES GOT A COO VOICE!! HE BE SPITTIN TOO HE IS ON THAT SONG "WEST COAST PARLAE" OFF THE SPREAD YO HUSTLE COMP!

GOTTI

Apr 25, 2002
www.dugoutent.com
Good Shyt Ant...and thank you....yep, that was Shea singing that Ghetto Harmony in the background....alot of folks love that song. Glad to hear you did as well. I agree with you on Jae too, the cat is talented and a Major needs to swoop him cause I can see him blowin cats like Nelly out the water with the right money behind him.

Rican Gotti - Fo sho playa....been here a minute, glad to see you reppin...on the original Bart I was "Southbay_Reekan". and as for D-DUBB, man that is a savage....I dig his shyt alot. I'd love to do some work with him in the future.

PR.