PSN DOWN?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 24, 2005
Yeah. XBL went down Christmas of 2007, and into the first week of 2008 I believe. Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare both released that year. The outage was from so many users trying to log in lol.

Feb 7, 2006
http://gamerant.com/microsoft-xbox-live-psn-downtime-aaron-80885/

Poor PlayStation 3. It just can’t seem to catch a break. As the highly publicized PlayStation Network outage continues, Microsoft has to be secretly grinning behind the scenes. In fact, they do expect a jump in Xbox Live users while Sony sorts out this mess.

While they certainly would never admit to offices full of high-powered executives doing the happy dance for the last few days, a Microsoft distribution network representative did take the time to chime in on the situation.

Pecover v Electronic ArtsA Class of EA Football Game Buyers Has Been Certified in Federal Courtwww.easportslitigation.comAds by Google
Here’s what they had to say:

“Of course it’s regretful that Sony is encountering issues at such a busy time, and Microsoft takes no joy in the problems gamers are having playing their favourite games online. That being said, we are expecting Microsoft’s robust online network to see an increase of traffic from those gamers who own both systems. Being able to play their games via the Xbox LIVE network could make all the difference for some gamers, and the Xbox Nations event will allow all of them to do just that – whether they have a Gold subscription or not.”

Obviously Microsoft isn’t going to go into full-on tongue-out gloat mode, but the humor derived simply from the timing of this PR disaster for Sony surely isn’t lost on them. As the rep mentions, the Xbox Nations event this coming weekend is going to give everyone who owns a network connected Xbox a chance to experience the Gold service for a few days. For anyone who primarily does their online gaming over PSN, this is the perfect time for Microsoft to blanket them with their warm, working-Xbox-Live-network embrace.

Possibly the bigger timing snafu at play here comes with the releases of Portal 2, Mortal Kombat and SOCOM 4 this past week. These were three (maybe two) high profile releases that, on paper, had the better in-box incentives for gamers to purchase them on the PS3. SOCOM is exclusive to the console, Portal 2 offered a full game key for Steam to PS3 and cross-platform play, while Mortal Kombat gave them gaming’s favorite bad-ass, Kratos, as an exclusive playable character. Anyone who purchased those games for Sony’s console instead of the Xbox 360, myself included, has to be kicking themselves at least a little bit since the online portions of these games have been rendered useless for the better part of these games’ launch week.

If there were ever a time for Xbox 360 fanboys to feel justified with their usual chants of, “You get what you pay for,” this would be it. Any PS3 owners feeling a more than a little irked at this situation? Will Microsoft see their expected spike in Xbox Live traffic? Does anyone want to trade me a 360 copy of Mortal Kombat for a PS3 one?

I'll never defect playstation 4 life!

R

Sicc OG
Dec 7, 2005
this doesn't bother me i've spent most of the past few days outside enjoying the weather lol

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
A little editorial

The PlayStation Network has been down for a solid two days. We don't know when it will end. All we know, in its third day, is that Sony says an "external intrusion" is responsible for the outage. All multiplayer gaming is conked. Some downloadable titles are completely unplayable. (Those good old title updates are still being served, though.) Does Sony owe anyone anything for the inconvenience?

Remember, this isn't the first time the PlayStation Network has suffered prolonged outages. Last February, a clock error in older models of the PlayStation 3 confused 2010 for a leap year and prevented users from signing into PSN. And, of course, attacks earlier this month by Anonymous succeeded in bringing down PSN intermittently, at least until Sony's security contractors figured out how to block them and Anonymous itself called off the operation.

This, however, is much more than a DDoS attack taking things out of commission for a couple of hours. We'd been told to expect an outage at least as long as a couple of days. And when PSN is down, that means access to the PlayStation Store and all multiplayer gaming are gone, and even certain titles are completely unplayable, online or offline.

Should Sony offer anything to their PSN customers? Are they even obligated to? It's tricky because, unlike Xbox Live, you can take advantage of all online multiplayer features with a free account over PSN. So for millions of users, the service most often used over PSN is "free," (or at least assumed into the retail cost of the game.) Were this Xbox Live, we'd likely be seeing free months tacked onto folks' Gold subscriptions left and right.

Maybe that should happen for subscribers to PlayStation Plus, but offering everyone a free month of that would look to some like a cynical way to hook people into the service. Not to mention existing PlayStation Plus subscribers would see some dilution of the exclusives and offers they get through the service during that freebie period.

A free downloadable game? If it's one published by SCEA, perhaps. More likely we'd see some kind of secondary offer - a movie rental or a piece of downloadable content.

Still there are some games that cannot be played at all because of DRM requiring you to log into PlayStation Network - notably Capcom's Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 and Final Fight. I own both. Should I get some kind of refund or credit to my PlayStation wallet? With more than 70 million subscribers, even a dollar credit to everyone makes this an extremely expensive gesture for Sony.

Maybe, if this really is an external intrusion, and PSN has been brought down through no fault of Sony's, maybe it doesn't feel compelled to offer anything. And maybe you don't feel they should either.

MysticOracle

si vis pacem para bellum
May 4, 2006
707- VALLEJO
actually...i do think sony owes playstation plus users something...sorry but i have game saves i cant access on their servers ...which better still be there when they come back online...i paid money for a service i cant use....

and the whole LIVE thing...i would consider a subscription.....oh wait...my 360 is RROD...AGAIN..

mrtonguetwista

$$ Deep Pockets $$
Feb 6, 2003
We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.

We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.