Pavlik hurts hands and arms accidentally

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 17, 2003
Anybody see this story man could've been alot worst for dude.

NEW YORK -- Middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik needed more than 100 stitches to close cuts on both of his hands and arms Tuesday after he accidentally put them through a kitchen window he was repairing, according to manager Cameron Dunkin.

Pavlik
Despite the injury, Dunkin said that Pavlik's rematch with former champion Jermain Taylor on Feb. 16 (HBO PPV) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas was not in jeopardy.

"He's fine," said Dunkin, here with Victor Ortiz, his junior welterweight prospect who faces Carlos Maussa on the undercard of the Miguel Cotto-Shane Mosley fight Saturday night (HBO PPV, 9 ET) at Madison Square Garden. "Kelly was working on his house and he was pushing on the window. It had a crack or a weak spot and he put both of his hands through it. He had cuts on both hands and arms, but the glass didn't cut any tendons or arteries, thank God."

Dunkin said that Pavlik needed 108 stitches, which will be removed in two to three weeks.

"He'll have scars but the stitches will come out and he will be ready to train in about four weeks," Dunkin said. "He'll be OK. It does not affect the fight at all."

Dunkin said Pavlik has been doing work on his home for quite some time.

"It was an old window and he was going to put in a new screen," Dunkin said. "I said to him, 'Why are you doing this? Just buy a new house.' He goes, 'I didn't think it was that hard to do. I was just trying to get some repairs done.' "

Pavlik, 25, of Youngstown, Ohio, won the middleweight championship on Sept. 29 in Atlantic City, N.J., when he rallied from a second-round knockdown to knock out Taylor in the seventh round in one of the year's most explosive fights.

A few weeks later, Taylor (27-1-1, 17 KOs) exercised his contractual option for a rematch, which will take place at the catch weight of 166 pounds. Pavlik's title will not be at stake.

The injury, Dunkin said, will prevent Pavlik (32-0, 29 KOs) from traveling to the Cotto-Mosley fight, where promoter Top Rank had set up some media interviews for him.

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.