Oblivion fucks your mothers.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 25, 2003
This game looks sick as fuck. Many people disappointed with Morrowind had their concerns listened to, apparently, and Bethesda has finally made a decent sequel to Daggerfall.

Rankings:
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/927345.asp

Out of 41 reviews, the average is a 9.5.

The game looks like everything Morrowind tried to be. You can talk with every NPC, every line of dialogue is voice-acted. NPCs have a schedule: They eat sleep, steal from people, go to work, go home, etc. You can own a house, rob houses, rob shops, steal or buy a horse, etc. You can even drop treasure on the ground and wait for people to rummage through it, kill them, etc.

You can play it "stealth" style, the combat is supposed to be more fun, and any options you had in the game Daggerfall are here and more.

Review:
Each year there is always one title that the gaming industry really looks forward to being released, but there are very few games that make gamers want to squeal like teenage girls at an N’Sync concert. The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is one of those titles. Huge. Expansive. Non-linear. Open-ended. None of these words really quite describes what I like to call Oblivion, which is a “single-player MMORPG”. An MMOG is like a living game experience. Through patches, expansions, and the experience of sharing your game play with thousands of other people an Online Role-Playing game can seem never-ending as you explore the various jobs, skills, and environments provided for you. It could literally take months to see and do absolutely everything inside an MMORPG. TES: Oblivion is exactly like that, minus the people and the required internet connection, hence the term “Single-Player MMORPG”.

If you’ve never played a TES game and plan on trying out Oblivion, then you are in for a treat. The TES series started off 12 years ago with a small title known as The Elders Scrolls: Arena. TES: Arena was considered the first non-linear open-ended RPG ever. While Arena is considered a classic by today’s gaming standards, many of its features are still present in the series today which many keep many die-hard fans coming back.
Oblivion starts off simply with you choosing a race, name and look for your character. Never has any single player game allowed you to customize the look of your character like Oblivion. If you have ever played Star Wars Galaxies, then you might not be as surprised at the character creation. Oblivion’s predecessor Morrowind gave you the ability to choose your race and a single look for your character. Once you chose a race and gender, you could choose a head from 5 or 6 pre-generated looks. Oblivion gives you the ability to not only choose your head, but customize everything about it. You have the ability to change everything from the hair-style to your nose width and height to color of your skin. When you are done, you find yourself in prison (every Elder Scroll game starts this way, no one really knows why) when you are found by the Emperor and his private guards known as “The Blades”. After speaking with the Emperor, voiced courtesy of the celebrated actor, Patrick Stewart, you discover that his life is in danger and his guards are quickly ushering him out of the city through a secret passage which just happens to be located in your cell.

At this point your class is still a mystery as the game introduces you to various aspects of the game through a small dungeon crawl through the sewers. While it sounds a bit boring for an advanced gamer, this introduction is not only used to set up your character, but draw you into the world of Tamriel. At the end of the dungeon sequence, you are suggested a class based on how you played your character up to that point. You are then given the ability to choose your class, or even create your own. Once you escape the sewers and are out in the free world, you can choose to follow the main quest line or follow your own path. From this point on how you play the game is entirely up to you.

The Elder Scroll system allows you to use any skill in the game regardless of your class or race. How well you do it is based on your skill progress. When creating a character class you must choose 2 main attributes that you specialize in such as Strength, Agility, Intelligence, etc. You then choose 7 Major skills that you think your character will use the most often during his or her life. The rest of the skills become your Minor skills. Increasing a Major skill will allow your character to level up and give you the choice of increasing his or her base attributes. Increasing a skill is as simple as using it. The more you use it, the better you will become at it. Oblivion introduced a new Skill tier system that fans of the series will enjoy. All skills, except magical skills, are separated out into 5 tiers: Novice, Apprentice, Journeyman, Expert, and Master. Each tier has a special advantage or bonus for increasing your skill. For example in Morrowind, maxing your Acrobatics ability up to the level of 100 just increased the distance in which you could jump. In Oblivion, maxing your Acrobatics skill will give you a special ability that allows you to jump off the surface of water.

The various non-combat skills are one of the aspects of the game that can overwhelm a player simply because there is just so much to do. If you have the proper tools, and the right ingredients you can make your potions with their own effects through Alchemy. If you like to like to play a Magic based class and join the Mages Guild, you eventually gain access to create your own spells with their own effects. For those who like to play the stealthy role in a game, lockpicking and pickpocketing can be welcome break from the general hack-and-slash. If you want your character to be as powerful as he or she can be, take up Enchanting. Enchanting armor and weapons will not only increase your base stats, but will also make a relatively cheap item worth quite a bit of gold to a vendor.

The game can be played in either first person or third person perspective. As a seasoned MMORPG player, I instinctively went to third person but found playing in first person was much more enjoyable. Both melee and ranged battles are very intense in first person. Performing an attack is limited to pushing a single button, but battles can be very quick or slow depending on how smart you play. In Morrowind, you would just hit an opponent until he fell. With Oblivion, you have to balance your attacks with a blend of fast and powerful blows, while raising your shield or weapon to block or parry an attack. The Enemy AI is a lot more advanced than in the previous games. If you are at the losing end of a battle your opponent will taunt you as your health diminishes. If you find yourself easily dispatching an opponent, they may actually run away to heal themselves or even drink a health potion in an effort to win.

Everything about the game is beautiful. There is no object in Oblivion that has not been modeled, textured, and designed with such attention to detail that you may very well forget that you are playing a video game. The wild landscapes in Tamriel are enough to take your breath away. You could wander around aimlessly for hours just taking in the sights and sounds. Also, every enemy is just as detailed as the landscape and environment around them. Graphically, there is nothing negative I can say about this game. Oblivion is quite possibly the best looking title I have ever had the privilege to experience as a gamer.

The interface is simple enough, but it is also the only negative feature I found in the game. If you are a fan of the series and a PC gamer, you can very quickly notice that the interface was designed for the Xbox 360 and gamers playing with controllers instead of keyboard and mice. In Morrowind, if you wanted to bring up your map you pushed “M” for your map, “J” for your journal and so on. In Oblivion, the entire menu system is all under one button, Tab. This change in game control wasn’t that hard to get used to, but deciphering every menu’s tab icon was a bit of a challenge unless you took the time to read and memorize the manual. Hitting Tab will bring up the menu for the last window you had up, but unfortunately several of the menus don’t have a title at the top. So for the first few hours of game play I stumbled around the various menus trying to figure out what each one meant since there are no descriptive tooltips available (or any tooltips at all for that matter). Flip through the manual quickly if you don’t want to spend time scratching your head. As far as I'm concerned, this is a minor problem and easily diminished as you learn the game. I can't bring myself to take points off for a slightly flawed menu system that I have managed to get use to well enough.

Another keen difference between the older games and the new game is travel. In the previous game, Morrowind, you could travel around the province either slowly by foot, or quickly by silt strider. Oblivion eliminated the downtime of travel by allow you to “Fast Travel” through you world map. If you want to run from the Imperial City to Bruma, you will most definitely encounter some unfriendly wildlife and possibly a roving bandit or two. Fast travel cuts out the time it takes to travel by estimating the time it would take you to get from one destination to the next. The only downside to this is that you don’t get to discover hidden ruins or monuments and that's half the fun. Still, for those who like the faster paced game, you'll find the change to be a great enhancement. For those of us that like to wonder around and enjoy the scenery, we can still do that as well.

Along with acclaimed Havok physics engine, Bethesda released a new game feature with Oblivion called Radiant AI. Ever play an RPG and wonder why all the NPCs just stand around or follow the same path through a town over and over? In Oblivion, each and every NPC has a set schedule of tasks that they have to accomplish everyday. If you want, you can literally follow an NPC around town each day and watch them eat breakfast, go to work, take a lunch break, talk and gossip with other NPCs, and eventually go home and sleep. Be careful where you follow them though. This isn’t Final Fantasy so NPCs will take great offense if they find you in their home rifling through their property (which is VERY tempting to do). Every NPC is professionally voiced which makes interacting and talking to them really enjoyable.

Ultimately, Oblivion is very enjoyable on either Xbox 360 or on PC. The Xbox 360 has some unlockable content available to gamers who must do absolutely every quest available, while the PC version has a downloadable content creator which will extend the replayability. The most impressive thing about Oblivion is how it appeals to every aspect of the RPG genre with a quality that no other RPG has ever done. Whether you’re looking for fast paced combat, an in depth story line, colorful dialog, a completely open-ended questing system, or simply beautiful jaw dropping graphics you will find something you absolutely love to do in Oblivion.

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
Yeah the shit is awesome, and its only going to get better with the few major patches later this year. My main problem with it is that it 'scales everything' to your level. it kind of defeats the purpose of visiting high-elite level areas and seeing the bad ass monsters that could fuck you up. Its always pretty easy combat overall because wherever you are, it matches your level.

But other than that its sick. Plus there will be an optional patch to get rid of scaling within a few months im guessing...

I liked Daggerfall the best out of the 3 previous ES games.. with Arena a close second. ive been down with this series since a friend introduced Arena to me in like 95 lol.. primitive shit but i still see it like i did back then, fun ass game.

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
WHITE DEVIL said:
I've been playing this series too Psilo.

Started with Arena, Daggerfall favorite, disappointed with Morrowind.
DAMN... SAME

Daggerfall fucking kicked my ass.. I was on that for so long. Arena for longer, but thats only because I was 11 years old or so when a friend introduced it to me and at that age, games like these are pretty hard cause they can get confusing.

Morrowind.. i didnt even beat it. A lot of people liked it a lot, but I thought it was too open-spaced out and not really 'cities' how i liked them in daggerfall. (meaning BIG ASS CITIES where i can do what the fuck i want)

Oblivion is near perfection when it comes to graphics and land-creation. They created a bad ass fucking world.. way better than any other 3d RPG ever has.. and ill definitely be playing this for at least 80 hours, then ill probably start again with a new guy.. lol

Aug 31, 2003
www.ebay.com
Morrowind i kind of zoomed by it. I wasn't interested enough in it to do a lot of the side missions but I've been playing Oblivion almost non stop. Sad to say I've never played Arena or Daggerfall.

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
my main problem with oblivion is that... theres no point to play any other game while i have it!! .. haha, for real, i havent touched anything else in a while. Theres too much to do in the Obv world to put it off. I gotta keep moving forward and beat that shit. Ive put in like 15 hours and i think im only about 10% of the way through the game. FUCK!

Dec 25, 2003
naner12 said:
Morrowind i kind of zoomed by it. I wasn't interested enough in it to do a lot of the side missions but I've been playing Oblivion almost non stop. Sad to say I've never played Arena or Daggerfall.
Arena/Daggerfall were a gillion times better than Morrowind. Morrowind felt like a wax museum, compared to Arena and DF, completely awesome, open-ended, and interesting games.

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
i showed a friend arena a couple years ago, and he was fucking disgusted by the graphics. he asked how i even knew what was going on in that game. Lol.. i realized thats not how i see that game.. it looks perfectly normal to me since i played it when it was "the shit" in 94 or whenever.

so i think its probably hard for the newer fans to the series to switch back to something that primitive. Even though i still think that shit is fucking advanced, hahaha. Arena had like at LEAST 120 cities and dungeons.. and daggerfall.. FUuuuck, i dont even know... it had like 600 cities to visit? Many of them were randomized but it still felt like you were in a world bigger than anything else ever made.

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
hahaha i guessed 600, i was way fucking off. Peep the stats:

Daggerfall is the largest Elder Scrolls game to date, featuring a game world estimated as being roughly twice the size of Great Britain, with over 15,000 towns, cities, villages, and dungeons for the player's character to explore. According to Todd Howard, Elder Scrolls programmer, the game's sequel, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is 0.0001 percent the size of Daggerfall. Vvardenfell, the explorable part of the province of Morrowind in the third game has 10 square miles, including all of the delta regions on the fringes (the mainland Vvardenfell is about 6 square miles). The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has approximately 16 square miles to explore. In Daggerfall, there are 750,000+ non-player characters (NPCs) for the player to interact with, compared to the count of around 1000 NPCs found in Morrowind and Oblivion.

Dec 25, 2003
Arenas graphics were better, I think, than what was out there at the time. (SNES and Sega?) And Daggerfall came out in 96, when the first Playstation was coming out, and it still held up then.

It definitely is about more than graphics though. The fact that you could *choose* what you did made it 100x better than Japanese RPGs. I am a JRPG hater for the most part.

I will play a Japanese RPG now and then, but ever since I got Shadowrun for the Sega I've tended to go with more adult games, games that give you choices, games with "darker" themes, etc. Japanese RPGs are all so full of the same lame ass cliches...shit gets on my nerves.

Dec 25, 2003
That is all true....but you gotta remember most of Daggerfall was randomly generated, towns, NPC names, etc. so you could probly cut all of daggerfall's stats by about 300% lol.