Music Videos: Lets Save Them Too

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 5, 2009
Everyday I go on WWSH and watch the new music videos all these artist (Mainstream/Up And Coming) are making and all I can say is how crappy and similar they all are.

But who's fault is it??
Some can argue the artist, but I think it is the people who shoot the videos. Ill get to this in a second... But...

When I say "Crappy" Im not speaking on the quality of cameras (even though there is some videos made with cheap cameras) cuz now a days EVERYONE HAS AN HD CAMERA. So now that you have a Good Cameras, either as Directors/Camera Man think of a vision and take pride of your craft. I think people are taking away the whole creative process from Directors/Film Producers just to make a quick buck. I dont mind the hustle, get ya money, but damn add some contect to ya videos. Show us "Consumers" why your video is better than the next person and why ARTIST should pay you PEOPLE WHO MAKE VIDEOS to make music videos.

Im not a director/video editor/ or have much to do with film, Im a sound engineer and I see the same shit that happen to Music is happening to videos. Just cuz you record on Pro Tools and have a condenser mic, doesnt mean it SOUNDS GOOD. Its a process of Mixing and Mastering, which is just as important and CREATIVE as the artist's role and is what distinguishes good sounding music from great sounding music.

So for those who make Films/Music Videos/or any visual work. Before you work with an artist, try to pitch him an idea for the song, and try to add some content to it. Take a film class at your local CC, watch movies and films that are recognized as great because of their production work, study your craft. Work on your video editing skills and try to be different, cuz YOU are just as important, and if you get that done.. Money will come

So shout out to those who are doing a good job, continue the good work, and for those who are just starting as Mac Dre would say "Turn it up a notch"

Mix

Nov 23, 2006
www.myspace.com
Everyday I go on WWSH and watch the new music videos all these artist (Mainstream/Up And Coming) are making and all I can say is how crappy and similar they all are.
WSHH is the number one source of crappy/similar sounding bullshit on the internet, lol. I used to be all like "Damn what the fuck's up with these weak ass shits, everyone's bitin off each other, none of these niggas have any substance, woopwoopwoop..." now I dont even pay attention to that type of shit anymore brah...

i think in this age videos are one of the most important ways to get your shit out there. but it's just like music, if you really wanna get your shit heard do something creative and original that will stick out and get people's attention. i dont even think camera quality matters that much, more just the type of vibe and vision you present. but i notice just like matt blaque had a hit and all of a sudden got on EVERYONE's hooks, now everyone in the Bay's going to the same 3 directors to shoot their shit... think outside the box.

we've all seen niggas throwin money in the air, "doin it big" at the club, posted on the block in front of 30 cats, jumpin out of the rented cars and "peelin" some model chicks a million times just like we heard em rap about it a million times. this problem aint nothin new.

Jan 5, 2009
VIDEOS DONT MAKE MONEY...SO MOST PEOPLE JUST LOOK AT IT AS A PROMOTIONAL TOOL 2 TRY 2 SELL ALBUMS..BACC IN THE DAY PEOPLE HAD BIG BUDGETS 4 TH EVISUAL SIDE OF THE GAME...THOSE DAYS ARE OVER.
I agree that they are a promotional use, and I think its a very good promo tool.. But what im trying to say is why dont we add some creativity to the videos.. maybe follow the storyline, take multiple shots from different views and angles to get different perspectives.. Its much more than being in front of a car, or ya hommiez behind you.. you get what Im sayin?

and im not sayin everyone is going to do it or want to do it.. but since videos are a way to promote yaself, why not try to be different?

Jan 5, 2009
WSHH is the number one source of crappy/similar sounding bullshit on the internet, lol. I used to be all like "Damn what the fuck's up with these weak ass shits, everyone's bitin off each other, none of these niggas have any substance, woopwoopwoop..." now I dont even pay attention to that type of shit anymore brah...

i think in this age videos are one of the most important ways to get your shit out there. but it's just like music, if you really wanna get your shit heard do something creative and original that will stick out and get people's attention. i dont even think camera quality matters that much, more just the type of vibe and vision you present. but i notice just like matt blaque had a hit and all of a sudden got on EVERYONE's hooks, now everyone in the Bay's going to the same 3 directors to shoot their shit... think outside the box.

we've all seen niggas throwin money in the air, "doin it big" at the club, posted on the block in front of 30 cats, jumpin out of the rented cars and "peelin" some model chicks a million times just like we heard em rap about it a million times. this problem aint nothin new.
I feel you breh.. and your an example that I could use.. I know u on a personal level and I know you take you music, and beat making very serious. and you take time in composing and putting together a final product with creativity and thought behind it.. why cant mufuckas do the same with they video editing and video content?? lol and I know there is exceptions of people who do it.. Im just trying to encourage more people to do it

Jan 6, 2008
www.youtube.com
The issues i've ran into as someone that makes music videos for bay area artists is that 1, none of them are willing to spend the extra cash that it takes to really plan out a music video with content. and 2, 75% of people literally ask for a music video that they've seen done

Jun 25, 2005
Storylines require acting and most rappers obviously aren't too good at acting.
Storylines along with mood, lighting and composition is what I like to see in videos...shit sometimes not even storylines sometimes I just like to see how the video was just put together over all LOL

Thing is the cheaper and more accessible the technology becomes it makes it easier for the market to be flooded like the OP said bout makin music same with videos and photography...anybody can cop a camera and all of a sudden theyre a photographer...anybody can download photoshop all of a sudden they do covers etc...it is what it is I guess

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Yeah the cinematography plays a big role, but if the lighting and shots are great, it doesn't matter if it's just another strip club/ballin scene ya know? That's the polish level which is important if you're polishing gold, but kind of missing the point if you're polishing a turd ya feel me? Also, director and cinematographer are different jobs all together. Here's a great example of purposefully bad acting in a great video, which actually enhanced it.

Nov 25, 2003
SUNSHINE CITY,CA
HOLD UP!!

FIRST OF ALL WE SHOULD ASK, WHO'S WATCHING WHAT??? CUZ THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF VIDEOS ACCESSIBLE 2 THE PUBLIC. THE VIDEOS THEY SHOW ON TV NOW ARE SET 2 PLEASE CERTAIN CROWDS BUT I RARELY WATCH THOSE...ONCE AGAIN THE MARKET IS OVERSATURATED. $200 IS A GREAT PRICE 4 A VIDEO. SO ALL THE HOMIES OR WHOEVER WANTS 2 CAN SHOOT A VIDEO AND MAKE U WATCH IT.
I THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX, AND WONDER HOW EFFECTIVE SHOOTING A $200 COULD BE 4 AN ARTIST..?? SINCE MAJOR LABELS SPEND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON VIDEOS AND PROMOTION, AND THEN CHARGE IT BACC 2 THE ARTIST...ITS ALMOST LIKE BEING PAID 2 ACT...EXCEPT U MIGHT NOT GET PAID AFTER THEY RE-COUP. IF I COULD GET TOP QUALITY VIDEOS AT $200 APIECE I WOULD BUT 10 OF EM ASAP. :cool
MAYBE Y'ALL ARE WATCHING WACC VIDEOS CUZ THE ONLY MUSIC U CARIN ABOUT IS IN THE BAY...ARTISTS IN THE BAY HAVE 2 LEAVE THE BAY 2 MAKE A DIFFERENCE. THERES A LOT OF MUSIC(AND VIDEOS) OUT THERE. 50% OF IT IS NOT PROFESSIONAL.

0R0

Girbaud Shuttle Jeans
Dec 10, 2006
BasedWorld
Storyline isn't everything tho, you can get a great looking video like this with pretty much zero storyline and it's just as effective, although this requires a lot more skill by the director and cinematographer to pull off. Here's a perfect example.