Music and its future...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 13, 2006
I was thinking about this the other day...
Music always seems to evolve from generation to generation...different genres of music keeps on getting developed...but where else can music really go? does anyone think that basically all genres of music have been created, and just more and more sub-genres will be the only things comin? And how far can that go? Or does anyone think that maybe more genres will just mix togethor like hip-hop/rock...

Also, what types of music do you all think doesnt get enough respect and why? is it just not mainstream enough, or is it too far ahead of its time?

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
In the "near" future, I think combination of genres will start to become bigger. Such as rap and electronic, rock and electronic, rock and reggae, etc. (in this case, "electronic" mostly meaning about drum and bass, breakbeats, or trip hop, etc. not trance and hardcore techno). It already sort of has started to emerge... Ive gone to a lot of Hip Hop + Drum and Bass shows recently where the two genres are literally intertwined into one peformance.. and its fucking sick.

For "totally new genres", as in music thats never been heard before in a specific format... thats hard to imagine. I mean, maybe its possible, but when I think about it, my mind cant really grasp something like that happening. Sound waves have pretty much been manipulated in every way possible when talking about our current technology.

but who knows.. in 100 years, i bet people are going to be listening to some really crazy, trippy, different shit.

Dec 25, 2003
Hip-hop/Rap & Techno is already evolving into a new genre believe it or not!!!

It's called Grime! I recently seen that shit on MTV News when Sway made a segment about it... Its originating in Britain & is supposedly spreading to Europe... Its a big trip to listen to those British folks try to rap over techno beats... I was freaking out myself... But I knew in the beginning this was going to evolve sooner or later... Its even interesting......

Oct 25, 2003
suicidalboomerang.blogspot.com
i don't know where "music" will be going...

i'm not a great fan of newer music or Genre mixing...

Unless it has a really unique twist...(a few songs here and there)

i'm more into classics...

There are a lot of Underground oldies that i still want to collect...

I like to unfold classics that came out over 30 years ago...

But whatever New generation Music decides to do...

it will have listeners i'm sure...

~

May 15, 2002
I was shrooming last night and wrote up a big, long response to this question, but instead of clicking "post reply", I clicked the X on my internet browser.

So, I will just say this: music will never die. Music is like all art in that it is a reflection of culture; no matter how superficial or how conscious that culture is, the music will reflect it. Culture is constantly changing, therefore music is always changing; be it the instruments, the lyrics, or some other factor, music will continue to evolve.

People tend to believe music is dead when there is no "new" music that they like (I'm one of them), but that says nothing for the process of progression, just the direction the music went in. Music will always change, whether it's for the better or for worse, it will keep moving and evolving.

Mar 18, 2006
i would say music will definetly be going new places and evolving with new genres/sub genres..how can u say it wont!? sure, some will be off shoots.....but there is always goin to be new character and colour which will reflect off, thats lyfe....but yehh, rap music has a chance to really evolve more because the lyrics are so potent....compared to other genres which the lyrics stay in a certain mold more often then not....i dont really see limits there.....but like 1 duke said....people have been manipulatin wavelengths and sounds for ions so it might be that drastic.....but that has to do with imagination, its limitless so the potential for new genres is there