Moe Green "Rocky Maivia"

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 20, 2004
www.refillrecords.com
Jan 20, 2004
www.refillrecords.com
KMEL FRESHMAN 10

Despite having produced such talents as Tupac Shakur, MC Hammer, Too Short and E-40, the Bay Area still doesn't get a lot of love in the hip-hop world.

It's not considered to be in the same league as Los Angeles, Atlanta or New York when it comes to churning out rappers of note.

Well, here are 10 young men that could change that rap.

San Francisco radio station KMEL-FM 106.1 recently announced the first of what it plans as an annual list of the Bay Area's fastest-rising hip-hop stars.

These rappers, dubbed the "Bay Area's 10 Freshmen," are NIO Tha Gift, Jay Ant, Roach Gigz, P Child, Iamsu!,
DB the General, TRUTHLiVE, DaVinci, Cousin Fik and Moe Green.

The idea for the list was hatched by DJ Amen, one of KMEL's most-popular on-air personalities, who was looking for a way to shine a light on the Bay Area's deep pool of rap talent.

"We searched for artists who, despite having little to no radio play, have a strong presence and the potential to be the next big thing locally — and hopefully beyond," he said.

It shouldn't surprise most hip-hop followers that seven of the 10 Freshmen hail from the East Bay, long considered the rap epicenter of the Bay Area.

Jan 20, 2004
www.refillrecords.com
Moe Green in the new SF Weekly

http://www.sfweekly.com/2010-07-14/music/vallejo-rapper-moe-green-wants-fame-too-badly-to-sleep/

Vallejo rapper Moe Green wants fame too badly to sleep

In high school, Gregory Carter called himself Moe Green, the Money-Makin' Machine ("Ching ching!"). Now, a little more "real" with himself at 22, he's Moe Green, the Dreamer — an everyday joe from Vallejo. The up-and-coming rapper doesn't roll with an entourage; stays away from violent house parties; hates club dress codes; and, when he has a show to perform, arrives early.

"It might be three people there with the first person on," says Green, fiddling with his A's cap at a Vallejo Starbucks. "I'm out there, standing in the front row. I don't do no superstar stuff. I'm not famous, you know what I'm sayin'?"

But Green wants to be famous. His dream job is punching in at the studio — MCing for a living — and, as he raps on "Going for the Kill," "grindin' till I leave a legacy, some Michael Jordan shit." Until then, Gregory Carter and Moe Green will have to peacefully coexist.

On a recent Thursday night, KMEL's Freshman 10, a group of some of the best new Bay Area rappers, gathered for an industry mixer. Green's inclusion means he's one step closer to his dream. But he still had to duck out of the afterparty to go work for FedEx. "I didn't get back to Vallejo till like 2:30," he says. "I had to be at work at three that morning."

When most people are thinking about lunch, Green is just finishing up his shift loading trucks. He hates "wasting" his day, so he tries to spend time recording — even if it means falling asleep in the studio. "I'm supposed to go home and sleep, but there's too much to do," he says. "I always had this thing about wasting my day, even as a kid."

Green's love for words was evident from a young age. Though his first tape was an "Ice Ice Baby" single, he also devoured the poems of Langston Hughes and competed in regional speech meets.

He got more involved with his own poetry while attending Vallejo High School, jotting down raps during "sustained silent reading" time. Before long, he and another SSR refugee founded a Kill Bill–inspired crew called the Crazy 88 Mob. "[There] was only like 10 of us," he laughs. "If even 10."

The Crazy 88 Mob amounted to a stack of airbrushed T-shirts. But a path had revealed itself to Green, and he endured a stint at Solano Community College only by slipping into the library during breaks to check out rappers on YouTube. He recalls, "My friend was like, 'Your mind's in the Matrix, blood. You just dreaming all the time, daydreaming.'"

Green turned the admonishment into a nickname, "Moe the Dreamer" — even as a well-received mixtape, I Just Want You to Hear My Voice, and a deal with Interdependent Media started suggesting that it wasn't a dream after all.

Green fulfills another dream with his debut album, Rocky Maivia: Non-Title Match, which was released free on his Bandcamp site this week. Musically, it swerves in and out of hip-hop, with inflections of ambient/electronic, pop, and jazz — there's even a '50s-style TV jingle introducing the everyday Moe Green.

This range of styles may be the result of hours spent watching MTV's video countdown show, TRL. Though pop stars like 'N Sync and Adele might not garner a lot of street cred, Green learned not to care: "I got to a certain point in my life where I was like, 'Dude, forget what everybody thinks. If you like it, just like it. Stop trying to fit in.'"

Whatever the music, Green sticks close to his theme of following his dreams wherever they take him. On "KIM," he says he will "walk like I'm Forrest Gump on a mission." More poignantly, on "Emerald City," he'll "skip lunch so I can buy recording time." When he raps, he's casually smooth, slowly rolling over the vowels and instilling each consonant with anxious determination.

Moe Green's dreams don't end with Rocky Maivia. The name says it all: Pro wrestler Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson called himself Rocky Maivia when he first entered the ring, and Green intends to trace his own career arc from the Rocky Maivia stage up through the superstardom of the Rock.

Sure, it's lofty — he isn't called Moe the Dreamer for nothing — but Green is holding down a postgraveyard shift and staying up all day to make it happen.

"I work on the side and try to focus on this dream full-time," he says. "If you got a Plan B, you thinking you might fail. ... There's no Plan B with me, man."

Look for a leak of the album tomorrow.
The CD will be available for free at a few retail stores

Jan 20, 2004
www.refillrecords.com

01. He's Moe Green (Intro)
02. Goin For The Kill
03. Non Title Match
Produced By: Martin
04. Emerald City
Produced By: Nick Maples
05. Daydreamer
Produced By: DJ Ammbush
06. Ride
Produced By: MT The Great
07. Search Party
Produced By: Rick V
08. Keep It Ill
Produced By: SU!
09. KIM
Produced By: Hg
10. Cruise Control
Produced By: Dj Ammbush
11. Don't Hurt Me (feat 1OAK)
Produced By: 1OAK
12. Level After Like
Produced By: Miles Brandon
13. Buzz Lightyear
Produced By: Tye-Bo
14. Top Turnbuckle Lifestyle
Produced By: Nick Maples
15. What It Is
Produced By: @Joey_Cool
16. Preliminaries
Produced By: Droop E
17. The Exclamation Point
Produced By: Justinkase

http://moegreen.bandcamp.com/

Free CD's available at:

San Francisco - Ameoba
Berkeley - Rasputins
Vallejo - Rasputins

Thanks for the support!

Sep 12, 2005
This album is dope! Fresh production and Moe Green has a lot of talent and a pretty polished sound. This has been a great year for bay area hip hop: Nio Tha Gift, DaVinci, E-40, Rafael Casal, some Jacka/Laroo albums and now Moe Green (I'm sure there are others too). Great way to start off the year!

DJ Mark 7

djmark7.com
Jul 18, 1977
www.djmark7.com
^^^Yeah man that was hella cool for Moe to throw that in there. While it's true, he could have easily left that part out. I'm happy for the success he has so far and look forward to what he has in store for the future!