MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

CZAR

Sicc OG
Aug 25, 2003
hell yes it is, i have a feeling that Kelvin will go for takedowns often and get caught in a submission. Mike Brown is no joke off his bacc, we just dont see it enough.
Hmmm I might have to watch this Mike Brown cat. I never heard of him. Got Em!! :cheeky:

Apr 25, 2002
LMAO Reebok deal is getting worse as more info comes out. Turns out the fighters only get $3 from each sale of those $90 Reebok kit jerseys with their names on it.

I've never heard of an industry where an athlete gets such a small percentage of an item with their name or likeness on it.
damn. then most these fighters aint getting shit. I wonder how much UFC gets?

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
LMAO Reebok deal is getting worse as more info comes out. Turns out the fighters only get $3 from each sale of those $90 Reebok kit jerseys with their names on it.

I've never heard of an industry where an athlete gets such a small percentage of an item with their name or likeness on it.
but they are getting 21% dana white would never lie

Apr 25, 2002
ufc is the worst paying sport by far i would guess
MMA's the sport. UFC is the promotion. the sport itself doesn't really pay much, in general, aside from what you get from your sponsors. it's probably the lowest paying sport where your body gets fucked up the most. head to toe.

Bellator (co-owned by Viacom) is the promotion a lot of these UFC guys and unsigned fighters are going to start signing to. they allow sponsors in the cage, and they don't "tax" sponsors in the cage like UFC did. they actually have a lot of good lower weighted fighters that can help grow Bellator if they don't jump ship and sign to UFC.

Props: GTS and GTS
Jan 29, 2005
PHX
MMA's the sport. UFC is the promotion. the sport itself doesn't really pay much, in general, aside from what you get from your sponsors. it's probably the lowest paying sport where your body gets fucked up the most. head to toe.

Bellator (co-owned by Viacom) is the promotion a lot of these UFC guys and unsigned fighters are going to start signing to. they allow sponsors in the cage, and they don't "tax" sponsors in the cage like UFC did. they actually have a lot of good lower weighted fighters that can help grow Bellator if they don't jump ship and sign to UFC.
The problem with Bellator is they don't put on enough shows, they're only averaging like 12 shows a year now. They have champions like Will Brooks literally begging on social media for a fight cause he said they won't even return his calls lol and they keep signing more and more fighters who they can't even give more than 2 fights a year to.

They're also overpaying guys like Josh Koscheck, Melvin Guillard and now Josh Thomson who just signed yesterday who have zero upside. Viacom is probably gonna get pissed off soon and be like "yo Scott Coker, why are you paying Josh Thomson $100,000+ when we only sold 3,000 tickets and only got 400,000 viewers for the show he's main eventing?"

Bellator is hemorrhaging money right now and have never had a profitable year, yet they're paying Ken Shamrock and Kimbo Slice $250,000 each with no return on investment. They averaged 1.6 million viewers for that card on Spike TV which has one of the largest viewership footholds on cable. That's UFC Fight Night on Fox Sports 1 numbers lol

I don't think Bellator is going to be able to sustain more than a couple more years before Viacom finally pulls the plug. Viacom already pulled TNA Wrestling from Spike, which had better ratings and cost less to produce than Bellator. Eventually Viacom is gonna get tired of losing money for no reason.

Apr 25, 2002
Brooks should be fighting Held, who both i think would be top 5 easily in UFC.

Bellator had hella shows a year before Coker took over. they just don't have enough fighters on the roster. everybody wanted to go to UFC cus it was the "big time". UFC has over 500 fighter contracts spread through 10 classes. they have plenty of fighters for their shows but a lot of fighters still have to beg for a fight, while some (like Cowboy) get to fight when they want. and most of those 500 fighters aren't special. i never bought into that "UFC is the best fighters in the world" shit. Bellator needs a new marketing dept to anti-that.

now it's about sponsor money vs PPV points. most of the UFC wont ever get PPV points.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
now it's about sponsor money vs PPV points. most of the UFC wont ever get PPV points.
On that note though most of the Bellator roster isn't getting sponsor money either.

You'll have a select few at the top who will get a decent pay check and that's it. This is the same organization where Rick Hawn fought for their title and had his sponsor refuse to pay him his $1500 owed to him after the fight.

That's the sponsorship dollars Bellator fighters get, $1500 to fight for the "World" championship and then they had to battle the sponsor afterwards to get paid lol

Look at some of their recent payouts. They still have guys fighting on the prelims getting paid only $1000, $1500, and $2000 fighting for a multi-billion dollar media company and Bellator prelim fighters get ZERO sponsorship money. I went to a Bellator show a few months ago, all them prelim fighters had empty shorts and no banners lol

Right now you're looking at a select few at the top that will make real money from sponsorship dollars in Bellator, but you still have most of the roster including people who fight on the main card that get less than that bare minimum $2500 Reebok sponsorship paycheck.

As pathetic as the Reebok money is and as sad as the 10k show/10k win for brand new fighters in the UFC is, it's still way better than anything Bellator is offering. Be a young fighter and go to Bellator, make $1000 with no sponsor money, be a young fighter and go to the UFC make possibly $20,000 with a $2500 Reebok check.

Apr 25, 2002
true. its a fucked up game.

but once Bellator comes up (if they survive), sponsors will pay more for advertisements. no one knows what WSOF, RFA or Legacy is so Bellator is the "go to" tv space from this point on. that's valuable ad space but it don't mean Bellator will capitalize on it. they got real talent, but they need to sign more UFC fighters to "test" the other fighters. Josh Thomson is a good sign. he's known and tested and i think he'll have a hard time with Bellators top 5, which makes Bellator stronger.

Rumble came back to a UFC title run off a stint with WSOF, which he fought Arlovski, who is now (again) a UFC HW contender. that shows how UFC aint special and there's killers in every promotion. they don't got everybody all the time.

Bellator and fighter managers need to step it up if they want to stay in business. they can make it pop.

Feb 10, 2006
Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 3m3 minutes ago
Official: Anderson Silva by NAC suspended for one year (dating back to Jan. 31, 2015), fined 200k win bonus, 30% of 800k purse. /fin

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 2m2 minutes ago
Quick correction: Silva's total purse was 800k, so he's fined 200k (his win bonus) + 180k (30% of 600k show money). Never was good at math.

Feb 10, 2006
So I guess Cain is getting the immediate rematch?? or waiting for Mir/Arlovski?

M @Mikeb ohnMMA 13m13 minutes ago
There's your other big fight, Ireland. RT @MMAjunkieSteven: Multiple sources confirm Rothwell vs. Miocic set for UFC Fight Night 76.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
Werdum is gonna be in Halo 5 lol this is dope

UFC champ Fabricio Werdum to appear in Halo 5: Guardians - Bloody Elbow

Fabricio Werdum is a big fan of the Halo series - one of the most successful first-person shooter video games on consoles. Set for release on October 27th, Halo 5: Guardians is the long awaited sequel to Halo 4, and the head brass at Microsoft confirmed at Gamescom on Wednesday that none other than UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum would be making a cameo appearance in the game.

"Fabricio Werdum makes a small cameo appearance in Halo 5: Guardians. He's a big fan of Halo and we're big fans of his, so it's always fun when these kinds of things work out," said a Microsoft spokesperson. "It's a bit of an Easter egg though, so you'll have to really be looking for it."

The cameo was arranged with developers 343 industries before the Brazilian defeated Cain Velasquez to claim the heavyweight title at UFC 188 on June 13th.

Microsoft wouldn't reveal the specifics of Werdum's character but it's expected that the 38-year-old will feature as non-player character (NPCs), meaning that players won't be able to walk, talk and shoot as Werdum's cameo in the game.

Previous Halo titles have also featured celebrity cameos from Conan O'Brien, Andy Richter and the voice actors from the long-running Red vs Blue series.

Ariel Helwani and Dana White confirmed on Wednesday that Fabricio Werdum's first title defense will be a rematch against Cain Velasquez. No venue or date has been announced for the bout yet.