MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman went under the knife on Tuesday, then reported his procedure was “a success.”

Weidman needed minor surgery on both knees, and he tweeted a thumbs-up picture from his Instagram account late Tuesday night.

In March, the 185-pound titleholder was forced out of his scheduled title defense against Lyoto Machida at next month’s UFC 173 card. Instead, he’ll defend his title against the former light heavyweight champion in the main event of UFC 175 in July.

UFC 175 is set for July 5 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

“Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. Surgery was a success!” Weidman said on Instagram and Twitter.

Weidman (11-0 MMA, 7-0 UFC) was originally supposed to fight Vitor Belfort (24-10 MMA, 13-6 UFC) in the UFC 173 main event. But when the Nevada State Athletic Commission banned testosterone-replacement therapy, Belfort was removed from the card so he could have ample time for his body to adjust to a career with it. Instead, Machida (21-4 MMA, 13-4 UFC) was inserted into the title fight, which will be just his third bout at middleweight.

Weidman this past July knocked out longtime middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva to win the title. Then in December, he defended it when Silva broke his leg when Weidman checked a kick – one of the most gruesome injuries in MMA history.

For the latest on UFC 175, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Johny Hendricks targets fall return, wants division to move forward in absence

UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks will be on the mend until the latter portion of this year, but while he recovers from a recent bicep surgery, “Bigg Rigg” would like to see the contenders narrow in a crowded division.

“How many people are claiming they deserve a shot at me?” I’ll be out for a little bit longer, so I would like to have them all fight one more time,” Hendricks told MMAjunkie.

In the current 170-pound landscape, the likes of Tyron Woodley, Hector Lombard, Rory MacDonald, Matt Brown, Nick Diaz and Robbie Lawler could all have legitimate claims as the next opponent for Hendricks (16-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC).

From the champ’s perspective, though, he believes there should be no doubt surrounding who holds No. 1 contender status, much like when he climbed to the top.

“How many people in the last year were the No. 1 contender? Just one: It was me,” Hendricks said. “That’s what you work for. You don’t work to be one of the four, one of the five or one of the six guys who think they deserve it and hopefully get picked. They should fight. Then instead of picking from four, you can pick from one or two. That’s what I’m looking at.”

While Hendricks wants the most deserving contender once he returns to the cage, he also believes he’s in no position to pick and choose. Hendricks has been willing to fight any opponent put in front of him to this point in his career, and now that he has the belt, he doesn’t expect that to change.

“Realistically, it doesn’t matter to me,” Hendricks said. “I don’t care who I fight. Now that I’m at the top, I know I’m going to have to run through everybody, and that’s what I plan on doing. Whoever the UFC thinks is the No. 1 contender, let’s fight them, get through them, and then move on to the next one.”

One man Hendricks won’t be fighting anytime in the near future is former UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. “Rush” is just one of two men to hold a win over Hendricks, and the American was hoping for a rematch if St-Pierre came out of his self-imposed hiatus from the sport.

But St-Pierre recently suffered a torn ACL in training, meaning any plan to return are off the table for the foreseeable future.

“It does bum me out; it does stink,” Hendricks said. “It sucks when you hear about anybody getting injured. It doesn’t matter when it is, who it is or how it happened. It always sucks. You don’t wish anything bad upon anybody. So when I heard about him getting injured, I felt bad that he got injured again. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and hopefully he comes back.”

While St-Pierre’s injury will sideline him for an undetermined period of time, Hendricks says his return to the octagon is targeted for a much more specific timeframe.

After undergoing a gruesome surgery to reattach a torn bicep, Hendricks would like his next fight to take place in the fall. If it were up to him, the sooner the better.

“I want to push myself to the limit, but I want to keep it within the doctor’s range,” Hendricks said. “I’m saying I’ll return anywhere from September to November. I know that’s a huge spread, but if I’m healing up quickly, which I believe I’m going to, then September is easy. Then again, I don’t want to push it too quick because if I reinjure it, I’ll be out even longer.”

Even though just a few weeks have passed since Hendricks won the belt at UFC 171, he is already itching to get back to work. The 30-year-old still has a lot of rehab to do before fighting becomes a reality, but with the line of hungry contenders growing, there’s no shortage of motivation for the champion to get back to 100 percent.

“The only thing that’s bothering me right now is I’m on the DL list,” Hendricks said. “I’ve got to sit and let my body heal and that’s probably the hardest thing for me to do. I want to get back in the octagon. That’s all I really know is to fight. I’m hoping I can get back there as soon as possible.”

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
sounds like the april fools joke today is announcing Rousey vs Carano, before everyone gets their hopes up

at this point, Carano would NEVER be able to make 135, I remember she would struggle to make 145 and its been what, four 1/2 yrs. since she last fought. This believe it or not has been catching sum buzz(no pun intended) over the last few weeks. Ronda talkin bout she wont go up to 145 to Cyborg but would for Gina?! GTFO! The only grappling I would LOVE to see is them between the sheets, with me in it!!

and yes I know it was an april fools joke...lol. but it was actually brought up to both

RM211

Sicc OG
Feb 10, 2006
Despite quick turnaround, UFC 173's Robbie Lawler in no rush for another title shot

While Robbie Lawler is confident another UFC title fight will come his way before the end of his career, the 32-year-old insists he won’t be upset if some time passes prior to it coming to fruition.

Following his narrow loss to Johny Hendricks for the vacant welterweight title at UFC 171 in March, Lawler (22-10 MMA, 7-4 UFC) is taking little time off from competition. He already has a bout scheduled against Jake Ellenberger (29-7 MMA, 8-3 UFC) at May’s UFC 173 event in Las Vegas.

Some fighters would take an extended layoff after such a monumental loss, but for Lawler, he only knows one way to get over a defeat, and that’s to get right back on the horse.

“I’m not dwelling on the loss at all,” Lawler told MMAjunkie. “It comes down to getting better, working on my skills and pushing myself to get better. That’s about it.

“The opportunity arose where I could get a fight. I’m making the most of it. I’m back in the gym and working out, getting my body ready.”

After participating in a five-round bout with Hendricks that set a new UFC title fight record for most significant strikes landed, there is some concern that Lawler could be putting his body through too much, too quickly.

“Ruthless” denies that notion, though, and says he has been ready to get back to work since the Monday following his bout with Hendricks.

“I worked out that Monday after the fight, just to get some blood flowing in my muscles (and) work out any sore muscles, and then I rested for the next week,” Lawler said. “After a week I started lifting, pushing myself harder than I normally do a week out from a fight. Now I’m just right back in it and pushing myself to get better.”

Ellenberger is one of the most powerful strikers in the division and has solid wrestling credentials to back it up. With that in mind, Lawler knows he’ll need to be at his best if he hopes to get past “The Juggernaut.”

“He’s a quality opponent,” Lawler said. “He’s one of the top fighters in the UFC right now at 170. He brings power, he brings wrestling, he brings a lot of skills to the table and I need to be sharp to beat a guy like him.”

While notching a victory over Ellenberger would be a colossal step toward receiving another UFC title shot, Lawler says he is pushing the idea of a rematch with Hendricks – or whoever holds the belt at the time – to the back of his mind and is focused solely on the task at hand.

“I’m not even looking at the title picture right now,” Lawler said. “I’m looking at Jake as a huge test and I need to get ready for him. I’m not looking past him or where this puts me on the list of all the fighters in the division. I know I just need to push myself, get better and everything else will take care of itself.”

UFC 173 takes place May 24 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Apr 25, 2002
rewatched the fight. looks like she busted her shit 3 minutes into the first round. she blocked a head kick with what looks like the same spot on the x-ray. she was still punching with that arm and even putting pressure on the break against the cage. looks like it started fuckin with her in the 5th, maybe 4th. when she knocked Werner down with the kick at the end, she was only throwing rights to end the fight. she's a sav.

(Holly Holm twitter)
Whoa! What a night?! Yes this is what happens when you LAZILY block a head kick. Arm is feeling ok...Ego not so much

Sep 20, 2005
FUCK YOU
who ever has fight pass these fights start in a few minutes

ufc fight night 39

main CARD
UFC Fight Pass, 2 p.m. ET
Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Clay Guida vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
John Howard vs. Ryan LaFlare
Beneil Dariush vs. Ramsey Nijem
preliminary CARD

UFC Fight Pass, 12:15 p.m. ET