Mbox Question

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 4, 2002
www.kavierocks.com
This is probably a dumb question. I've Googled it and came up with nothing that answered myv question. But, my cousin is looking to purchase an Mbox, and I was thinking with the way that Digidesign is so picky about what works with what, can you use the Mbox outside of Pro Tools? For example if you just wanted to play something through Windows Media Player, or even playback something in FL or Reason. After thinking about it, I thought why wouldn't it be, but you never know with Digidesign products. Any help is appreciated.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
As long as the Digidesign Asio drivers are installed and working properly the above shouldn't be a problem.

Your friend will need the Digidesign CoreAudio Drivers. These are for use of Digidesign hardware without Pro Tools.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=3&langid=100&

^ Use the Drop-List for Pro Tools Software or the A-E section on All Products List to find Drivers.

Whether or not it's stable I am not sure, that may also depend on your system type (Mac/PC). You shouldn't have any problems using the MBox with other DAW/Sequencers on PC. Such as Cubase for instance. I have read of some instability within Mac systems. Latency issues should be minimal. Just make sure you have the proper drivers installed, you can get them from the Digidesign website.

Feb 2, 2006
i got an mbox 2 mini right now - i actually disabled my sound card that came with the computer so i could play everything off my monitors through the mbox. everything works fine the only problem is you can't have two applications using the driver at the same time - you won't be able to play a song off of your hard drive and play a song off myspace at the same time. sometimes i be slappin some shit off winamp and open up the internet and go on siccness and shit and then i wanna hear whatever someone posted i gotta close winamp, close my browser, and re open it up to hear it because of that driver issue. also some programs or games dont work with your mbox-2 so you gotta download: Digi MME helper and enable them manually so you can hear it. but all in all its worth it cuz i got pro tools baby!