Mastering

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

EAT

May 14, 2002
Dup folks,

1. How necessary is it to bring your shit into a studio to be mastered? I mix all my shit at home so I don't need homeboy to mix it. Only thing I can think of is if I need to adjust track levels so they're consistent and possibly to ad compression on some intestine-disentigrating frequencies I may have missed on my monitors. Would it be sufficient to just play my shit through various devices (car stereo/walkman, etc.) to check that shit by myself?

2. What's the deal with "redbook" cd's. Is this merely a 16 bit cd with all your finalized cuts on it?

Thanks for your help.
-Eats

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
1. What do you intend to do with this project? Start by asking yourself that question first. If you plan on doing a commercial release get it mastered. If you don't plan on a commercial release why bother.

MASTERING=more than running the tracks in sound forge or applying L2/L1 or using C4 on the tracks. Fades, song order, frequency range, dynamics etc etc etc etc. A bit of advice for ya. If you decide to get it mastered take it to a MASTERING ENGINEER or MASTERING HOUSE/PLANT. Basically you want a person or place that does mastering only but you may find good results with studios who offer mastering services (the ones I've been to actually have a REAL mastering plant/room on site)

2.You are correct.

Apr 25, 2002
well since most studios i know of around here don't have mastering tools, besides plug-ins and compressors...
i say, if you know how to mix, what the hell, get yourself a UAD-Studio Pack get yourseves a decent ad//da box like the new Rosetta 2000 which has a soft limiter on there...
and give it a try...