Life After College

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 6, 2002
Okay, so I graduated back in summer 2004 and now I'm stuck working these not-so-high paying jobs and I feel like I wasted my time when I thinkabout it sometimes. Who all is in college now, and what do you plan on doing after you graduate? What re you doing now to procure your future job?

:mad:

:x

:rolleyes:

Apr 25, 2002
i've been feeling like this is a waste of time since about my second semester in. no idea what i'll do for a job after i graduate ( i figure i can always fall back on teaching high school history or something ). Since i don't know what i'm doing in the future can't say if what i'm doing will get me a job or not. I'm working as a tutor for some elementary kids at a local school(maybe i'll teach). I'm DJ'n weekly and have do all kinds of booking and promoting work(maybe i'll be in music). Applying for an internship with one of our Senators(maybe i'll do some government shit).

Over all it seems like a waste of time though. Odds of me enjoying my job or getting paid as much as i would like in the future = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 1

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
i'm in my junior year, print journalism major/advertising minor...i'm not really sure exactly what i want to do yet, but i've thought it was a waste of time at points...but i'm tryin to get an intership either in the state or out of the country :)

Jun 27, 2003
Yeaa im in my second semester now at a junior college; it's the number 1 community college in the United States and all but to me it's just like higschool all fuckin over again. Shieet does feel like a waste of time cuz I dunno what Ima do with it. Right now I'm workin at UPS it's a union job and the pay and benefits are alright... but I aint trynna be blue collar for the rest of my life puttin in 10+hours a day just to live comfortably and still hate my job nah mean. But oh wellz, I'm still 18 years young so there's still sum room to fuck around before I hafta REALLY get serious ya know

Apr 25, 2002
Graduated with a BA in Journalism, Dec. 03

Right now Im unemployed, broke, living off a credit card and still searching for that Journalism job that my degree was supposed to help me get. Im bout ready to settle for retail or some shit.

Dec 18, 2002
SOPHMORE DROPOUT...

bout to take 2 years off and pursue creative writing, spoken word, poetry, and rap on my own. schools startin to seem robotic and pointless, plus i stopped showing up.

Apr 25, 2002
my senior year at college, gettin my degree in human resources, im about to take my PHR test in a few months, which is basically equivalent to the CPA for accounting students...im working at wells fargo right now, and they already said they plug me into their HR department when i graduate in december...HR is kind of a hard department to break into, but once you do, $$$$$$$$

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
I JUST DECIDED TO GO BACK...
BECAUSE....

I APPLIED FOR A ENGINEERING TECH POSITION FOR THE CITY HERE 2WICE...
BOTH TIMES I GOT THE INTERVIEW AND GOT HELLA PRAISES
"WOW, YOU ARE A GREAT INTERVIEW"
"WE REALLY NEED SOMEONE LIKE YOU HERE"
ALL THAT SHIT..

....BUT NIETHER TIME I GOT A PHONE CALL FOR THE POSITION..
...I KNOW ITS BECAUSE I DONT HAVE THAT PIECE OF PAPER..
...I ACTUALLY FEEL LIKE MY 6 YRS EXPERIENCE MAKES ME OVER QUALIFIED...BUT YOU KNOW THAT PAPER...MEANS ALOT..IN THIS BURICRATIC WORLD..
SO IM GOING BACK TO FINISH MY CIVIL ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY AA

Mar 18, 2003
Man.. ya'll need to learn how to use your credentials. And more importantly, you need to develope your verbal skills. I've never done an interview without getting a job. Mainly because I do 85% of the talking.

I don't know where you all live, it might be harder to secure a job, but if you are a college graduate and still can't get a job, you might want to investigate other lacking areas aside from your education.

Thats why I'm going to major in BA because if you're going to get specific with your future then you are really limiting yourself. A BA degree will land you a job anywhere from Micky D's to Real Estate to an executive position. Broaden your horizon.

MeloTrauma: Do you think you're applying yourself the way you should be? In other words, do you still smoke weed? For real though, you should have double majored.

Apr 25, 2002
^^^ I aint smoked weed in damn near 3 years. But even if I did, it may not matter. I know folks with PhD's still smokin weed since the 60s making big cheese (my uncle) I mean, Im doing all I can to get a job, but the reality is a good journalism job is hard to fucking land, especially if you fresh out of college. Not only that, but journalism jobs are scarce in the first place, and they dont pay shit. I knew that going into it, but hey, I like to write. I figured if I could make a living writing, then Id be happy. Well fuck, wanting to be happy is making me broke. I seriously want to go and get a Master's degree though, sooner or later. Not in journalism, thats for damn sure.

Mar 18, 2003
The upside to all this is you can get another job, or go back to college, whatever you want, and you can invest your spare time into writing. Thats something that is 1. Fun 2. You can do at home. You are very articulate with words, you just have to keep at it. But don't EVER sell yourself short. Go back to school or get a job unrelated to your education and keep looking. Take your skills and do sketch comedy. Expand what you already have. People on this board have taken a liking to your writing. Hook up with Deep Thought, I'm sure the both of you could write a script for a movie. Seriously.

The weed comment came from personal expierence. Sometimes I get high too early in the morning and fuck off the entire day when I had a bunch of shit planned. People get lazy and do shit half assed. Like this buddy of mine who is unemployed, gets high and rounds up like 10 applications, but doesnt turn any of them in. I don't even know if he got to the part where it says Name _________

Jul 7, 2002
Nitro the Guru said:
Man.. ya'll need to learn how to use your credentials. And more importantly, you need to develope your verbal skills. I've never done an interview without getting a job. Mainly because I do 85% of the talking.

I don't know where you all live, it might be harder to secure a job, but if you are a college graduate and still can't get a job, you might want to investigate other lacking areas aside from your education.

Thats why I'm going to major in BA because if you're going to get specific with your future then you are really limiting yourself. A BA degree will land you a job anywhere from Micky D's to Real Estate to an executive position. Broaden your horizon.

MeloTrauma: Do you think you're applying yourself the way you should be? In other words, do you still smoke weed? For real though, you should have double majored.
for real, thats some good advice...if you're going to school, i would suggest talking to your instructors about the job opportunnies after school, or maybe even a higher education (graduate, phd).

i gradutated from college in 2003, and now as i reflect back, i could have gotten more from my college experinace, if i would have talked to my instructors about my major and related jobs. I've could of learn so much. If you think you know it all, you dont. Listen to what people in your field of study have to say, talk to them, get a feel for what your going to get into.

I dont dwell in the past, currently i have a good job, and learning so much, that my college education got me prepared for.

Jan 9, 2004
Nitro the Guru said:

I agree. Just because you graduate college doesnt mean you'll be handed a high paying job, you have to start all over from the bottom. But, with the paper degree, the doors to high pay are opened to you quicker than to the person without it. A lot has to do with applying yourself at what you do. Being a lazy ass doesn't help, procrastinating doesn't help, just grab life by the balls and make it do what you want it to do for you.

Mar 18, 2003
TOKZTLI said:
Being a lazy ass doesn't help, procrastinating doesn't help, just grab life by the balls and make it do what you want it to do for you.
Exactly. Some people have this thinking that businesses are going to be notified that they just graduated. One thing is for sure, with a degree you are (in most cases) going to leap ahead of everyone without one. This is especially so when you are fresh out of college because companies know they can mold you to their specifications, whereas someone with just expierence has already learned different ways of handeling things. WORD OF MOUTH is a big key as well. For example, my current job is not listed in the classified, has absolutely no advertising, and is tucked away in a building that can be seen only by chance. You have to know someone there to hear about it. It just so happens that I took the opportunity to approach someone that I saw working at some store. I inquired about her job. She gave me directions to the corporate office. I checked it out, applied, did 3 interviews, and I have been working there for 4-5 months now. Grab life by the balls... indeed my friend.

Another bit of advice to those who are looking for a good job: Don't ever hesitate. People think that if they apply somewhere and get called for an interview they have to take the job. That couldn't be more false. Do the interview, raise the bar - ask for more then they offer to every half ass that walks in there. If they say no, then tell them to jump in a lake and bounce. The job I have starts out part time, $10.00, no benefits. I asked for $12.00, full time, and benefits. I got it all. I am currently working with someone who has been there 3 years and still has no benefits and is still part time.

Reach for the stars.

Apr 25, 2002
*** Update. I just now recieved a call from an employer who wants to interview me on Wed for a position in their Danville law office. Full time, 9 to 5, weekends off, benefits including dental and vision, 14 dollars an hour starting, 3 months I would get a raise, plus I would have to drive from office to office around the Bay. I love jobs where I could drive and get paid. Wish me luck yall.

Mar 18, 2003
MeloTrauma said:
*** Update. I just now recieved a call from an employer who wants to interview me on Wed for a position in their Danville law office. Full time, 9 to 5, weekends off, benefits including dental and vision, 14 dollars an hour starting, 3 months I would get a raise, plus I would have to drive from office to office around the Bay. I love jobs where I could drive and get paid. Wish me luck yall.
I'm sure you already know this, but dress CLEAN as fuck. Polo button ups do it every time. Khaki's, dress shoes, nice belt, gives off a great first/second impression.