korg triton

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

VdZ

Sicc OG
Aug 18, 2003
www.tapevault.com
i dont know jack about keyboards. but i been putting together a studio.. and was thinking about getting one in the future for producer to work with and was wondering if i should get a 61 keys , 76 keys or 88 keys.. and since i already have a mpc 2500 , would is it necessary at all to get the extreme 9 which has a sampler) or le version ( which doesnt)

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I wouldn't get a Triton. If it were me I would snatch a fantom X, a Kurzweil 2600 (or 2661) or a Motif ES. The # of keys has a draw back. If you get something with 88 keys they'll be weighted (and this is a GOOD thing for piano players), but the downside is they are more expensive. If you get something that has 61 or 76 keys (some 76 keyboards do have weighted keys) you won't be able to play the whole range without using the octave buttons (but an easy work around is to split teh board range.) But on the plus side you save a bit money because less keys equals less money.

Mar 22, 2004
HERESY said:
I wouldn't get a Triton. If it were me I would snatch a fantom X, a Kurzweil 2600 (or 2661) or a Motif ES. The # of keys has a draw back. If you get something with 88 keys they'll be weighted (and this is a GOOD thing for piano players), but the downside is they are more expensive. If you get something that has 61 or 76 keys (some 76 keyboards do have weighted keys) you won't be able to play the whole range without using the octave buttons (but an easy work around is to split teh board range.) But on the plus side you save a bit money because less keys equals less money.
Yeah I agree. I had a motif 8 back in the days, and didn't like the weighted keys. I play a little, but still prefer the regular. I ended up getting the Fantom X 61. To me it's the best thing out right now. The expansion boards are the shit too.

Apr 25, 2002
I'll second what's already been said. The triton isn't a bad choice though, it's just that more capable options are available.

Also, I can't stress enough how important it is to build up a library of custom sounds!

Apr 25, 2002
Weighted keys are used to help emulate the feel of a real piano, which is pretty important to piano players. I prefer playing piano sounds, rhodes, organs, and stringed instruments for example, on weighted keys. For say synth leads & basslines, synth keys or even a midi guitar sometimes.

For real players, the feel of the keys has a big influence on how you play.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
if i was gonna spend that kind of money I'd get my hands on a synth along the lines of a Virus or an andromedia (however you spell it) or one of those high end nord boards with a grip of knobs and faders. I love to be able to tweak my shit and use my hands. I don't have that kind of cash to spend though so if anything I like the Alesis Ion for my price range

Mar 22, 2004
jayda650 said:
if i was gonna spend that kind of money I'd get my hands on a synth along the lines of a Virus or an andromedia (however you spell it) or one of those high end nord boards with a grip of knobs and faders. I love to be able to tweak my shit and use my hands. I don't have that kind of cash to spend though so if anything I like the Alesis Ion for my price range
Yeah, i got the nord lead 3 board, still aint figured that bitch out all the way. I'ts a good peice tho.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I love making my own sounds. I can do alot with reason with a combinator a line mixer and a couple of malstroms but like every one into this shit, you always want more! In good time i guess

50cal

Sicc OG
Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
VdZ said:
some of theese boards have samplers ... if i have a mpc already is it nessesary to have a board with a sampling function. i wanted to hook the keyboard to mpc
depends on wich mpc you have...i have the mpc3000..and sure it samples,but its not a full fledged sampler.I wouldnt use the keyboard sampler if i was looking to sample drums,stabs,loops.
But If I was looking to get lets say a sample c.d. that has multipitched samples...like i heard they have a c.d with sounds of the mo phatt, a real sampler you would put this c.d in a cd rom and load the sounds via scssi.now your sampler is like the emu mo phatt sound module in respects to having the same sounds...now how great and close to the original...Im not sure.
I know the mpc4000 is a full sampler..i aint sure about the 2500,or the 1000,or even the 2000xl