Kenny Florian vs Takanori Gomi Possible for UFC Fight Night 22

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
Takanori Gomi could make his UFC debut against unsuccessful lightweight challenger Kenny Florian at UFC Fight Night 22, Fighters Only was told this week. The event takes place in North Carolina on March 31st.

With Florian an established presence, one would think he is more suited to PPV cards, especially as he is coming off a win. But while Gomi is a UFC newcomer, he commands quite a high salary and so debuting him in a high-profile fight on network television is a good way to get him over with fans and start getting him to earn his keep by selling pay-per-view.

Also, Fight Night 22 is serving as a lead in to The Ultimate Fighter season 11, which debuts that night on Spike - could Florian-Gomi be a big-name fight to entice viewers in and make sure they catch the opening episode?

It’s a possibility, and at least one source we have spoken to believes it is likely. There is nothing concrete as yet - the fight is not even signed - but it’s a match that is sure to please Spike viewers if it tops Fight Night 22.

Feb 7, 2006
Kenny Florian says no deal yet for Takanori Gomi fight, predicts PPV slot if booked

Although it's a fight he's coveted for a long time, top UFC lightweight contender Kenny Florian (12-4 MMA, 10-3 UFC) said he has not been offered a fight with Takanori Gomi (31-5 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

Florian, who recently began training again in his home state of Massachusetts, said it was news to him if he was facing the Japanese star.

"It's funny; I haven't heard anything about that at all," Florian told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Wednesday after multiple reports surfaced of an impending meeting with Gomi at UFC Fight Night 21, which takes place March 31. "I don't know how people would know that before the fighters, but I definitely haven't heard anything about that."

Gomi signed his ticket to the octagon just prior to UFC 108, and following the event, UFC president Dana White named Florian as a possible opponent from the pool of lightweight candidates.

In an interview with MMAjunkie.com last week, Florian made it clear that he welcomed a fight with Gomi as a chance to face a legend of the sport.

But even if he is offered the fight, he said on Wednesday, a Spike TV card would not be the right place to showcase the matchup.

"I don't make the business decisions, obviously, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense to not have us on pay-per-view," Florian said. "I think a lot of people would want to see that fight if it was going to happen, and I don't see – if it was going to happen – how it could be on Spike TV."

Florian most recently appeared at UFC 107, where he defeated perennial tough-guy Clay Guida in a rebound from a second failed bid at the lightweight title. After dropping a 2006 unanimous decision to Sean Sherk for the vacant title, Florian strung together six consecutive victories (five via stoppage). But he then suffered a fourth-round submission loss to champ B.J. Penn at UFC 101 in August.

"The Ultimate Fighter 1" runner-up said he continues to train and wait for official word from the UFC.

"I haven't received anything from the UFC," Florian said. "Nothing's been formalized. Nothing's ever been offered with me. I don't know what's going on (with) the UFC as of right now, as far as what they want to do with me for fights.

"I guess I just have to sit back, keep training hard, and be ready for the call."

Dec 30, 2003
damn thats effed they call him UNSUCCESSFUL haha... But i dont think gomi needs to Earn anything really... Real MMA fans kno gomi and will buy a ppv to see that guy fight... But Florian vs Gomi... I gotta go with Gomi!

May 17, 2004
damn thats effed they call him UNSUCCESSFUL haha... But i dont think gomi needs to Earn anything really... Real MMA fans kno gomi and will buy a ppv to see that guy fight... But Florian vs Gomi... I gotta go with Gomi!
key word "real" mma fans know gomi. as you should know that makes up only a small segment of people. having it on a ufc fight night is a great idea so that casual fans can see him and get to know him.

Dec 9, 2005
key word "real" mma fans know gomi. as you should know that makes up only a small segment of people. having it on a ufc fight night is a great idea so that casual fans can see him and get to know him.

Great point.

A lot of people overlook the fact that hardcore fans make up a very small fraction of big business. This is why Affliction failed, IMO...they tried to market towards this group of hardcore fans, and in the end realized that its the casual fans that are going to bring the real money in.

KenFlo-Gomi would be a great main event on UFN.