Kanyon arrested

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Cheaptimes

C'mon now...
Jan 3, 2005
www.twitter.com
from his website
credit: Van Grand

MY ARREST
10/25/05

“Crime doesn’t pay. Fighting crime pays even less.’- Current WWE superstar and close personal friend, The Hurricane, Gregory Shane Helms after hearing the details of my arrest.

As much as I love and respect Shane, I am not sure I agree with him on this quote. I will tell you all the details and facts of my arrest and you can be the judge.

I went out with a bunch of friends to the Ybor city area of Tampa on the evening of October 15. And, although we stayed out until the bars closed (3am), I did not drink. As a matter of fact, I have not drank since July 4, 2004. I stopped drinking when I was put on anti-depressant and mood stabilizing drugs after being diagnosed with bipolar depression (manic depression) in mid-2004. I also don’t do any drugs, smoke pot or cigarettes. As the bars closed, we said our goodbyes and I headed for my car. I was still walking on the main strip when a fight broke out. The street was packed with spectators and they were all watching the fight and I started watching as well. As I watched, I realized it was 5 guys on 1. I was shocked to see no one try and stop the fight, even as the one guy started getting beat worse and worse.
I couldn’t take it anymore. I approached the fight to break it up. As I did, the one guy who was getting beat up was on his hands and knees, and he was kicked in the face. The five guys kinda backed off and spread out at this point. I helped the kid up and told the 5 guys that he had enough and to leave him alone. They would occasionally approach but than back off. The kid that got beat up was still trying to get at them and I had to hold him back. I told him that there was too many and that they would kill him. As I was holding him, his girlfriend approached one of the kids and was screaming at him. She than hit him in the face with her pocketbook. He responded by punching her in the face and knocking her down.
I snapped. I chased him. I chased him for a few blocks. After a while, I heard footsteps behind me. I thought it was his friends and they were gonna jump me. I slowed down and looked behind me to defend myself. As I did, three other dudes ran past me as they were apparently upset at the guy for hitting a girl as well. As they got close to him, he made a u-turn thru a crowd that was in front of a club that was letting out. That put him face to face with me. He dove into the club. I ran past the bouncers to find the kid on the floor. He was on his back kicking up at me. I grabbed his leg. The bouncers screamed, “what is going on?” “This son of a bitch punched a girl,” I replied. They told me to take it outside. I tried to drag him outside, but he kicked his shoe off. The bouncers than threw me out (with the shoe) and closed the doors.
By now, a good bit of the hundreds of people who watched the fight had made their way to the club along with a few cops. The cops asked me what was going on. I told him that a guy had punched a girl and he was in the club. “What guy?” they asked. I held up the shoe and said “the guy in the club who is wearing one of these and is missing one of these.” At this point, the bouncers closed the gates in front of the club. I begged the cops to go around to the back of the club so the kid wouldn’t get away. They wouldn’t. They questioned the victim of the 5 on 1 beating and the girl who got punched, and a bunch of other people who witnessed the fight (all of whom defended me and backed my story), but they would not go to the back of the club, although I kept asking them to go.
I had enough. I ran to the back of the club. I did not see the kid. The next thing I DID see was 4 cops surrounding me with tasers and telling me to get down, which I did, along with putting my arms behind my back. They jumped on me and put handcuffs on me. They put a taser in my face and threatened me and than one cop dropped his full weight on the side of my face with his knee (if you pull up the mugshot, you can see the entire right side of my face is swollen and the very right side is cut). As they brought me to the front of the club, the crowd got very mad. “No, not him. Don’t arrest him. He did nothing wrong. Leave him alone.” They began pushing at the cops and they tried to drag me away from the cops. It was pretty scary.
As per the “Criminal Report Affidavit” given to me, they ended up arresting me for Disorderly Conduct and Resisting Arrest Without Violence (if you check the report online the word after “Without” was deleted. That word was supposed to be “Violence.” If I resisted without violence, it makes you wonder why the one officer had to drive his knee into the side of my face. They ended up arresting the kid who punched the girl and one of his friends who claimed to be the son of the strength and conditioning coach of the Miami Dolphins (they were in town to lose to, I mean, play, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers).
As we got to the police station/jail, I noticed the kid who punched the girl talking to a Sergeant M. Farrier. The Sergeant asked him, “If I let you go, where are you gonna go? Back to Ybor?” The kid said no, that he would go back to Miami. Than, for some reason, Sgt. Farrier let the kid go without processing or fingerprinting or bail. I am not sure if he was charged or not and if he has a court date, but either way it seemed wrong. I asked the Sergeant if he let him go. He aggressively told me “Yes. It is my prerogative. He was in on a simple assault charge and it is at my discretion if I want to let him go. And that is all I have to tell you.” “You let a guy go who helped 4 other guys beat up 1 and than punched a girl in the face? You think that is fair?” I asked. “Yes,” he said. It seemed wrong to me and the whole situation and Sgt. M. Farrier seemed corrupt to me.
The way this was setup was that the processing (intake, fingerprints, pictures, info, processing, etc) was all in a big room. At the far side of this room were a bunch of chairs. After you were processed and bail was set, you could call someone to get you out and wait in the chairs. Almost everyone waited in this area. If you were not going to be bailed out or if you were there too long or if you were going to prison, they put you in an orange outfit and than went to general population. There were a couple of holding cells (actually just small rooms with a toilet and plexiglass window) for those who were drunk or on drugs or unruly. Only a few people were in these. One lady was strapped to a chair and had a bag over her head. That seemed a little cruel and unusual, although I did not see what she did to deserve that punishment.
Anyway, once my bail was set, instead of calling Altar Boy Luke to bail me out, I asked the lady at fingerprinting if I could see Sgt. M. Farrier’s supervisor. I was concerned and wondered about the release of the kid who punched the girl. The female cop I asked got very upset. She told me to sit and that they would get to me “sooner or later.” I asked if that could be a long time. Would it be minutes, hours or days? She said “this isn’t customer service. You will wait until we are ready.” I asked for her name. She showed it to me so briefly, that I couldn’t even really see it, although I though it was officer Hallister or Hastings, although I am not sure. She, along with a few others grabbed me and threw me into a holding cell with a few drunk prisoners for 4 hours without telling me why. I asked another officer to give me her name and he wouldn’t. I never got her name nor did I get to see The Sergeant’s supervisor. I was arrested at 3:10 am and Altar Boy Luke, my friends Chris and Skip came and bailed me out at 11:59. I want to take a moment to thank them for being there for me.
I also want to take a moment to ask a few favors. I am curious as to how the news of my arrest got out. If you are the person who “broke the news” please let us know here at www.ChrisKanyon.net. I am not mad, just curious as to how it got out. Also, for those who were able to find the police report online, I would be interested in finding out if the reports of the other 2 kids who got arrested with me are available and how to find them. The kid who punched the girl was tall..probably between 6’1 and 6’4’’ and about 180-200 lbs. The other kid was the son of the Dolphins strength and conditioning coach. His first name started with a “D”. It was Dominique or Dimitri or some “D” name I really didn’t recognize. They were both probably 23 or 24 years old.
I have told this story many times to many people. And as you read at the beginning of this commentary, one of them was Hurricane Gregory Shane Helms. His response, “Crime doesn’t pay. Crime fighting pays even less,’ echoed in sentiment what almost everyone else felt. That what I did doesn’t seem like it was worth it. That I did the right thing, but the bad guy got off and I got screwed. But, that is not how I see it. I tend to look at things differently than most people, especially after all my therapy and self studying over the past 2 years. I am not all that concerned that the kid may have gotten off, or that a few cops may have acted corrupt, or that I got roughed up by the cops. All I know is that I have to look at myself in the mirror every morning. I know that what I did was right. I cant worry about what everyone else did in this situation. I know if I stood by and watched that kid get beat up by 5 guys and he got badly hurt, I would not be happy with myself. As it is, tomorrow, I’ll wake up, look in the mirror and smile, feeling good about myself and what I did. Does crime fighting pay? The feeling I get when I look in the mirror makes me think, “yeah…maybe it does.”

Kanyon