Just a drawing I scanned and colored. Need opinions..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 28, 2004

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for making things I scan in look tighter? When I color them, they always look thrown together and sketchy. Even when I ink them. I'm starting to suspect that sketchy is just part of my art style. This is the first time I am posting art work in this forum here. ( I've done other stuff but it was part of a joke.)

I also can't seem to shade things properly. I don't want to just use dodge and burn so I throw other colors in, and it doesn't really look like it's coming together. All of my work looks half done. Any ideas of what I could do? ( I'm considering having someone else ink and color my drawings.)

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
As far as the coloring and shading, it takes a lot of practice. I used to know this one guy who was really good at it, he would do the exact same thing you do and color them in and shade them. Practice and you will get better and better at the coloring.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
You can also scan in your sketches, then use the tablet to trace them on another layer and make them look real clean then remove the sketch and color and shade from there.

Definitely get a tablet though.

May 17, 2005
Do you scan with 300 DPI? If not, make sure you put your setting that way ... also if you dont mind to post up that uncolored joint ... I would like to see if I can color it ... I dont have a scanner and never really did anything like that so I wanna try haha.

BTW: I see what you talking about when you say your work looks "unfinished" ... but it has a real good feeling to it, its more dynamic that way. One thing for looking that unifished might also be that there are too many lines ... try to make them color and just the outline in black ... maybe that works.

Sep 28, 2004
Here she is.

My room mate scanned her for me at 300 DPI. I don't have my own scanner sadly.

I suck at inking things in and I am always afraid to get rid of the lines inside of my drawings. I feel like they add dimension. If I were better at coloring/shading I'd be less afraid to get rid of the lines I put there to indicate shape and form. A skill I am working on.

Now I am looking into getting a drawing tablet, thanks to Mr. Samos. I'll need to get a few more paychecks under my belt first though. I wish I had more time to draw. Work occupies a lot of my time and on my down time I sketch a lot. I have a lot of unscanned artwork but I hate bugging my roomie to scan it for me.

Mar 25, 2004
www.statusrec.com
i do what edj said. put your colors and other shitz on diff layerz. then decide how much detail you want. your kinda in between shading or just coloring flat like a coloring book. stylizing your art is good but you gotta kinda know what you want your end result to be, then see how far away from the result you really are. change whatever needs to be changed to get it closer to how you want it. or some shit.