J. Russell.. raider Fans, What's The Deal?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
cut and pasted:

The real problem, according to both sources, is Oakland has been unwilling to give a full "skill" guarantee to the $29 million. To this point, the Raiders only have guaranteed all the money in case Russell gets injured.

A skill guarantee covers a player in case he is cut because a team simply doesn't consider him good enough. Such questions of talent seem odd for the No. 1 overall pick.

"The Raiders were told that structure wasn't going to work then and it's not going to work now," a source said. "It's completely unacceptable. No No. 1 pick has ever agreed to that kind of deal in the salary cap era, and it's not going to start now."

There have been 15 players drafted No. 1 overall since 1993. According to an NFL Players Association source, none of them has received a contract that did not include the skill and injury guarantees.

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
cut and pasted:

The real problem, according to both sources, is Oakland has been unwilling to give a full "skill" guarantee to the $29 million. To this point, the Raiders only have guaranteed all the money in case Russell gets injured.

A skill guarantee covers a player in case he is cut because a team simply doesn't consider him good enough. Such questions of talent seem odd for the No. 1 overall pick.

"The Raiders were told that structure wasn't going to work then and it's not going to work now," a source said. "It's completely unacceptable. No No. 1 pick has ever agreed to that kind of deal in the salary cap era, and it's not going to start now."

There have been 15 players drafted No. 1 overall since 1993. According to an NFL Players Association source, none of them has received a contract that did not include the skill and injury guarantees.

you mean they might be questioning his skills???

wow..I mean I querstioned them but who would have thought an NFL team questioning them??

See even the Raiders seen this was a weak QB draft and are now trying to cover thier ass in case he turns out to be a bust......Smart move by the Raiders NOW....but it should never have gotten to this point...shoulda traded down in the draft like I said before the draft.

I told you guys russell wasn't worthy of a #1 pick...the Raiders see it as well but didn't want to risk losing out on a qb I guess?????

May 9, 2002
ven if JR and trhe Raiders DO get a deal JUST before the season starts, JR STILL will have missed EVERY practice and EVERY pre-season game. What would be the point of him even starting with no snaps and who knows what little amount of playbook he may have?

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
thascary1 said:
you mean they might be questioning his skills???

wow..I mean I querstioned them but who would have thought an NFL team questioning them??

See even the Raiders seen this was a weak QB draft and are now trying to cover thier ass in case he turns out to be a bust......Smart move by the Raiders NOW....but it should never have gotten to this point...shoulda traded down in the draft like I said before the draft.

I told you guys russell wasn't worthy of a #1 pick...the Raiders see it as well but didn't want to risk losing out on a qb I guess?????
If he wasn't worthy of a number one pick he wouldn't have been picked number one. You said they should trade down to address their offensive line. We'll see how good Russell really is once he gets his contract situation out of the way. Don't forget... Philip Rivers held out too. Al needs to budge and get this dude into camp.

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
If he wasn't worthy of a number one pick he wouldn't have been picked number one. You said they should trade down to address their offensive line. We'll see how good Russell really is once he gets his contract situation out of the way. Don't forget... Philip Rivers held out too. Al needs to budge and get this dude into camp.
If he was worth of #1 they would have him signed and not be questioning his skills.

I told you all before draft that this was a very weak qb class and none deserved #1...noone wanted to hear it.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
thascary1 said:
If he was worth of #1 they would have him signed and not be questioning his skills.

I told you all before draft that this was a very weak qb class and none deserved #1...noone wanted to hear it.
They're not questioning his skill. They just want some kind of protection just "incase" things don't work out with Russell. Remember the Ashly Lelie situation in Denver?

Mar 16, 2005
this is nothing like ASSLIE. WE signed him and he never turned out oh well. We never "questioned" his skills by throwing that in a contract.

you don't put that kind of wording in the contract unless you have some doubts.....especially since it has already drug out this long...if the Raiders were 100% confidenet in his skills this would NOT be in issue and he would be signed.

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
Ryan Lief, anyone? Carlos Rogers? Rex Grossman? Kijana Carter? ROBERT GALLERY???

There are very few SURE THINGS in the NFL these days...

They are just trying to protect themselves...there's always ''what ifs''...

I doubt the Broncos handed over the city to their number 1 pick...the difference was that thier player wasn't expecting more than he deserves, at this (THAT) point.

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
thascary1 said:
this is nothing like ASSLIE. WE signed him and he never turned out oh well. We never "questioned" his skills by throwing that in a contract.

you don't put that kind of wording in the contract unless you have some doubts.....especially since it has already drug out this long...if the Raiders were 100% confidenet in his skills this would NOT be in issue and he would be signed.
Do you seriously think the contracts are that simple?

Play for us. We pay you $10,000,000. Sign here. x______________
I don't.

Mar 16, 2005
REdRUM said:
Do you seriously think the contracts are that simple?

Play for us. We pay you $10,000,000. Sign here. x______________
I don't.

You are really showing you know not much about the issue at hand.

it has already been stated...the only reason there is no contract yet is because they are off a couple mil and the gaurenteed money in "skills" that the raiders do not want to gaurentee.

Now why would they want to do that when it has never been done before???????? there is question marks about his skills...

now keep in mind...they have already seen him perform at mini camp....if they already seen him perform a little bit there should be no questions right?????

wellllll there ARE questions because they HAVE seen him perform.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
Just look at the Vick situation. Atlanta is going to go after some of the money that has been paid to Vick. Al wants protection from things like this.

Mar 16, 2005
Tony said:
Just look at the Vick situation. Atlanta is going to go after some of the money that has been paid to Vick. Al wants protection from things like this.

put it's not a personal conduct claus....it specifically stated Skills claus.

They already seen him at camp right????

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
thascary1 said:
You are really showing you know not much about the issue at hand.

it has already been stated...the only reason there is no contract yet is because they are off a couple mil and the gaurenteed money in "skills" that the raiders do not want to gaurentee.

Now why would they want to do that when it has never been done before???????? there is question marks about his skills...

now keep in mind...they have already seen him perform at mini camp....if they already seen him perform a little bit there should be no questions right?????

wellllll there ARE questions because they HAVE seen him perform.
Of course there are questions...I am a Russell fan, and I QUESTION his skills. No one has ever said he was the second coming of Elway, or Marino, or Montana, or Manning (NOT ELI or ARCHIE)...hell, not even of McNabb.

BUT, the Raiders put themselves in the position that they HAD TO TAKE HIM...because they had NO OTHER QB. Calvin Johnson would have been a great pick...or Adrian Peterson (imo), but they couldn't pass up the best (imo) QB in the draft.

This is a number one pick...this is the franchise (they think), so they're protecting themselves IN CASE of the worst case scenario (bust).

YOU should read MY comments on this matter before you post. I have read yours...that's why I spoke out. I am NOT a fan of what the Raiders are doing...I am merely STATING WHY THEY ARE DOING IT.

I bet other teams with number one busts wish they had done this...although I'm sure Russell doesn't appreciate it.

Tony

Sicc OG
May 15, 2002
It's a huge gamble. Some pay off and some don't. Only time will tell. If they had doubts they should have traded the pick. Now that they've drafted him they should do what they have to do to get him signed.