Is the Midwest Losing That Unique Dark, Cold Distinctively Midwest Sound???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Seems like a lot of the quality Midwest albums lately have been really biting off of that Southern sound. I miss the stuff that was dark, cold, hard hitting, noticeably MIDWEST in sound. Stuff like anything Baby Drew made, Traxster, the old Dayton Family sound, that Northwest Indiana stuff like the MCG'z and the Grind Family.

I buy a Baby Drew album here in Milwaukee and get all excited for it, it sounds southern as do a lot of the other local acts around here. Seems like it's been going on all over the country but especially in the Midwest. The new Twista album also comes to mind.

I know the south is hot right now but it just doesn't sound good when other areas try to emulate it. The guys up in the Midwest don't have the accents to pull that off, and frankly I don't even want them to try.

Anybody feel me on this and anybody have any albums that dropped recently that have that good old hard midwest sound to them?

Apr 25, 2002
THE ONE'S THATS GOING TO ATL, LA, AND ALL OVER TO DO THEY THING IS, BUT THEY EXPANDING. THATS WHAT WE DID ON OUR ALBUM CAME WITH THAT MIDWEST SHIT AND I GOTTA SAY IT GONE BE HARD. I'D LIKE OT HEAR MORE ALBUMS ON SOME SHIT LIKE THAT. CRIME MOBB AND SUCH, THATS A MIDWEST SOUND. AINT NOONE JACK STYLES THEY BLEW UP WITH IT. PEOPLE SAY BONE AND TWISTA BOUT JACKIN SHIT, BULLSHIT. YALL CRAZY.
ONE

Sep 16, 2002
www.2coldgraphiks.com
Yeah it is. There are a few new rappers that's keepin the sound (C-Mob, Walkin Sins, Street Life Cartel, Dude Dem and a small few others), but most rappers from the MW is either tryin to sound like NY or tha South. I seen this comin a few years ago. You can kind of understand it cuz they're tryin to make money with this rap shit and the Midwest sound isn't sellin. So in order to get on the radio and try to land a deal they got've come out soundin like south. Look what happened to Lejo, he stayed true to the sound and quit rap cuz he wasn't makin money from it. A lot of these dudes got families to feed. All we can do is just be glad for the few who keep the Midwest sound alive and support them, but the sound is definitly decayin.

Apr 25, 2002
YOU GOTTA UNDERSTAND SOMETHING. A LOT OF OVERSEAS CATS THINK THAT WE GOT IT MADE CUZ WE GOT AN ALBUM OUT AND THEY SEE THE COVER. LIKE SOME CASH MONEY SHIT. THAT AINT THE CASE. THERE ARE BARELY ANY JOBS HERE LET ALONE PEOPLE THAT ARE GONNA BUY YOUR RECORDS. THESE BIG G.I. RAPPERS YALL LOVE DON'T SELL HERE. YOU HAVE TO GO WHERE THE MONEY IS. A LOT OF CATS FROM HERE ARE IN ATL, NY, LA, TRYIN TO GET THEY HUSTLE TO A BIGGER MARKET. I RESPECT THAT, BUT I STILL FEEL YOU CAN MAKE THAT REAL SHIT AND SELL ON AN UNDERGROUND AND INDEPENDENT LEVEL. LOOK AT C-BO. YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MANY CATS BOUGHT CD'S OFF ME WHEN I HAD MY STORE AND I WOULD SAY RARE "PRESSED ON CD-R WITH CASE" AND THEY BE BITCHING HOW ITS BOOTLEGGED! PEOPLE HERE GET THEY SHIT DONE PUT IT OUT, QUICKER YOU DO QUICKER A LIL CHANGE GONE COME. TWISTA'S ALBUM SUCKED, I AINT FEELING NO MIDWEST CATS CEPT FOR OVADOSE, C-GHETTO, NOT TAMIN, SLC GOT THAT SHIT, I KNOW WE GOT THAT SHIT.

CRIME MOB'S DARK ASS BEATS, THATS MIDWEST SHIT. THEY JUST GOT NOTICED FIRST. IT AINT ABOUT COPYING STYLES, CATS JUST TRYING TO GET ON, WHICH YOU HAVE TO RESPECT.

ALSO SAY A PRAYER FOR MY GUY C-GHETTO. I'M NOT GONNA GET INTO HIS BUSINESS, BUT HE WAS SHOT OVER 5 TIMES AND IS NOW IN A WHEELCHAIR, SHOULD BE ABLE TO WALK AGAIN, BUT NO INSURANCE FOR THE REHAB.
one

May 7, 2006
i think its interesting that almost all of the underground white rappers are from the midwest..those guys are pretty good..

i dunno u just gotta look harder and you'll find some good rappers

Jun 9, 2007
shady_warrior said:
i think its interesting that almost all of the underground white rappers are from the midwest..those guys are pretty good..

i dunno u just gotta look harder and you'll find some good rappers
lol.. I was just listenin to some shit from Izzy Dunfore outta Iowa... he's got a few decent tracks, but he's corny as hell..

But in general, your statement is true... the problem is there's too many whiteboys puttin out shit that they think is hot but in reality it's terrible... just in Minneapolis alone even, theres wayy to many...

Nov 21, 2005
www.revver.com
I liked the old Bone Thugs East 1999 Eternal...
That's when a lot of darkness was coming out the Mid West..

Twista used to be dark and hardcore.. now his songs don't have that sound...

These rappers need to take it back to the original dark thug shit

fuck the happy.. lovly dubby bullshit. there's already enough rappers doing that sound.

Aug 26, 2003
Mi$ta-Murda187 said:
I liked the old Bone Thugs East 1999 Eternal...
That's when a lot of darkness was coming out the Mid West..

Twista used to be dark and hardcore.. now his songs don't have that sound...

These rappers need to take it back to the original dark thug shit

fuck the happy.. lovly dubby bullshit. there's already enough rappers doing that sound.

I agree

D-Con

Sicc OG
Feb 25, 2007
TheVille31 said:
honestly that shit dont sell and people just dont wanna be all depressed with dark music. Plus it seems like rappers that rap fast are fallin outta style quicker than FUBU.
That, shit don't sell ? :ermm: Based on Twista's soundscan, that shit don't sell. As far as I'm concerned, music doesn't manipulate the mind so..... where's this 'depressed' shit coming about ?

I'd rather spend my money on a CD having that "dark" mobster feel, with a few cuts having a more, positive vibe.... than it being vise versa.