Is it easier to for R&B Singers to make it big...Then it is for Rappers?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 13, 2003
www.myspace.com
Due to lack of competition as an R&B Singer in the Bay Area, I think it would probably be easier to gain exposure and blow up then it would to be a Rap Artist...

I know off the dome, you can mention about 30 aspiring Rappers that you like or know of from the Bay Area...

But I doubt you can name over 10 aspiring R&B Singers from the Bay Area...

Not sayin' R&B Singers have it handed to them on a silver platter, but I think they have it much easier compared to Rap Artists make it big...

whats your 2 pennies on that?...

Dec 11, 2005
In my opinion, its definately easier for a talented R n B artist to come up and make noise than a talented rapper. Like you said, there are just so many rappers these days, everybody and they mamas a rapper now.
But it doesnt really matter as long as you got that special characteristic in you that allows you to draw in fans, and as long as your hustle is strong, stay humble, hungry, and patient, God will shine on you

Jan 25, 2006
JP The 13th said:
the simple fact that good R&B = good R&B.. whether its from the Bay... New York.. down south etc... people can respect a good singin voice anywhere

yup that's true right there.

Jan 30, 2006
seems like its easier for singers. There so many more rappers and rap songs. There's forums and blogs dedicated to rap but its harder to find ones for R&B. Plus I think it'd be a lot easier to write a slow jam than a rap song.

Jan 5, 2006
www.turfquake.com
DJ Mark 7 said:
My opinion? HELL no....so much more work and planning goes into an R&B album from the production to promotion...Successful R&B singers are more rare than rappers

i can see what u sayin but i know personally a couple people who sing.. and have sold 30,000 CDs or more with each album they've come out with (3 albums deep).. and im sure nobody on this messge board would know who they are

i cant say the same for rappers

and since there are more rappers then singers (or people trying to be each one) theres a lil less "fuck that listen to my shit" between singers or whateva... walk up to a female singin and she'll prolly buy yo cd right there on the spot

i guess it all depends on what is "successful"

Dec 11, 2005
^ thats what I was trying to say

Like you said, a talented regional singer will be respected all around, but as for rappers, thats a totally different issue... as was the case for the bay area

May 16, 2002
Reeks said:
Due to But I doubt you can name over 10 aspiring R&B Singers from the Bay Area...

I can't even name 5 aspiring R&B singers from anywhere (not just in the Bay).

I do think it is a bit easier for an R&B singer oppose to a rapper, but REAL GOOD singers come a dime a dozen.

I've met more people calimin' they can sing and come to find out they couldn't hold a note if their life depended on it.

Oct 13, 2003
www.myspace.com
DJ Mark 7 said:
Successful R&B singers are more rare than rappers
Good point...

I'm basicly sayin' it is easier for a Singer to get recognition then rappers since there is a kajillion Rappers...

also JP made a good point, if you went up and serenaded a girl...she would probably buy your shit on the spot!...

people do appreciate a good Singer more so then 'just another Rapper'.