If cats would just change their way of thinking...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 1, 2002
ja rule is a good example of good promotion he is a horrible rapper but since he spent his money on videos got his videos on a video show (thebox)and peaple watch a lot of videos he was (discovered)by a big label he therefore blew himself up.

Sep 13, 2002
this a bay area room. if you feel jay z more then yukmouth please leave. haha jay z cool but he aint got shit on yuk. back up what your saying

anyway, look at it like this. what sells now? club music. you dont think yuk quinn 40 mall and all then can make club music?

club music = no lyrics a hook that could be done by a 5 year old and a weak beat that females can shake they ass to.

they can but they dont, why? because thats not who they are. there not in it just to make money there in it to speak about there life and what they know.

ludachris mabey the worst rapper ive ever heard. in yo MOUUUTTTTHHHH he need to stop making his words go for so long learn how to become a lyracist and wake the fuck up. anything he on no matter what it sounds like sells why cause 1 hit song.

not effort no creativity not the beat lyrics or anything. just one hit.

bay does it the way theve done it. everybody dont feel it because there stuck in the club.

well for me at least its parkin lot pimpin fo life. fuck the club shit.

B-12

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.a-wax.com
Dion: Well, being that there are only two distributors really doing it right now and handle full of others attempting, I do take offense. You are right you have only had limited experience with distribution but on my hand, I have been doing it for four years. I have taken Bayside from $750,000 a year in billing (which is about 75,000 units) to $6,000,000 plus a year (about 600,000 units) and its always the same shit with the dudes who didn't sell one unit..."my shit wasn't where it was supposed to be", "my distributor didn't promote", or the most famous one "my distributor didn't pay me". But it seems like thats from the labels that didn't work hard and had no financing of their own.

I have financed over 70% of the shit that I have distributed and taken a major loss on 40% of it because of my dedication to this Bay Area rap shit. So to accuse a distributor of being lazy is plain ignorant because the very lifeblood of a distribution company is to secure orders and ship units. Why wouldn't a distributor make sure to ship it if it got ordered. See the catch 22 is on all these "so called" record labels in the Bay think their shit should be Los Angeles when they are still a regional artist in the Bay Area that barely sells out here. Why would another region fuck with you when you can't sell in the Bay?

Im tired of muthafuckas blaming their distributors or the radio stations or the magazines. It couldn't possibly just be nobody want's their shit huh? 90% of the shit released in the Bay doesn't deserve to be on the radio and the 10% that does (i.e. 40, Quinn, Richie Rich and others) don't have the proper backing to take it to the next page.

Just my point of view. And by the way, I'm not directing this at you or any particular artists on this board but to elaborate on what you said, "if you got the shoes and the matching shirt then you really should consider retiring".

Peace.

May 10, 2002
It's coo 12... I really could give a fuck about the goings on with an album after my part of the process is done with anyway. Of course I would love to see my work reach people, but after the mastering session is done, that's it for me. It's up to the rest of the "machine" to push the project, get it into stores and sell it. I like music, that's what "I" do. I don't like having to call buyers and talk to store managers and mail out one-sheets and blah blah blah. I like to create music. You already know this 12, I consider myself more of an artist than anything. That's why I don't whore myself like I could.

" It couldn't possibly just be nobody want's their shit huh?" LOL We see eye to eye on this one.

I was just using the "lazy distributor" as part of my point. Because according to a lot of artists that "I" run into, that's how "they" feel. I could care less personally. Nothing I can do about how ANOTHER mufucka feels.

My whole thing with this thread is that the mindset needs to change. Simple as that. Mufuckas need to create a new angle to attack this shit from if they wanna be successful. Realize EXACTLY what it is you're trying to do and get it together and follow thru 100% on it. Not saying you'll be successful all of the time but there are so many cats that's runnin around like chickens with their heads cut off cause they think they can just make an album and the rest just falls into place. NO. This aint 1995 anymore. The age of the street cat wit no prior music business experience puttin cats out is waaaaaaaaaaay past it's prime. That formula DON'T work in 2002. Mufuckas may say I'm being negative, but I'm not. I'm just being realistic. Some see the glass half empty. Some see it half full. I see a glass with some liquid in it.

"if you got the shoes and the matching shirt then you really should consider retiring" -- please explain this one to me. You went over my head, lol

og MS

Member since 1997
Apr 25, 2002
www.killavalley.com
but the independant shit out here is D E A D, D E C E A S E D, C O L D,
________

It aint dead.. itz just that folks need to WORK their albums, itz more than just puttin' flyers on the counter and a poster in the window. Folks need to do more telemarketing and much more footwork, build relationships with retailers and track product. A weekly call to retailers can help. Retailers are taking less product up front but if the label and artist is handlin their business for the most part, the retailers will move more product and replenish it accordingly. Hell we just took it upon ourselves to meet with 10 Wherehouse managers and ended up meetin with the district manager as well, and by the time our meeting was over they were more than ready to do a 12 store consignment from Fresno to Lodi.. with each store taking 20 units per project and some offering end cap positioning and listening stations. We decided that we would also sale price the product @ $11.99 in most of the locations... We even gave the managers t-shirts.... After the District mgr saw how we handled ourselves business and product wise he even asked if we'd be interested in in-stores in all the locations and offered to coordinate a record release party in Fresno. It's all about establishing relationships and maintaining them. Those that do this will gain that extra edge needed in the marketplace.

"my shit is supposed to be in these stores here, but they aint there." "My shit came out 2 months ago and people still can't find it in LA - and I'm from San Francisco" etc...

The label gotta create the demand .. the distributor's job is to supply the demand. Many times the product is readily available to many accounts... but they have no knowledge of it becuz the label isn;t doin what they need to do to raise retailer awareness. Fax campaigns, telemarketing, meet & greets etc...
separate yourself from the ordinary... be extra-ordinary.

hope that helps...

B-12

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.a-wax.com
Dion: We do see eye to eye on alot of shit including the artists who suck out here but the last comment was me being sarcastic because of your comment about the matching shirt. Im saying if any of these muthafuckas find this shit applying to them, they really should quit. Peace.

Keith: Always droppin' the real.

Mista CaNE

On the Rise
Apr 25, 2002
www.mistacane.com
IF YOUR GARBAGE... SELL YOUR CD TO YOUR BOYS DONT PRESS IT. SAVE THE INDUSTRY FROM YOUR BULLSHIT. AS FOR THE PEOPLE WHO SAID THEY WOULD RATHER SEE BAY ARTISTS IN THE BAY THAN ON MTV, LOL THATS HILARIOUS FANS THINK ITS ALL LUVLY CUZ THERE ARTIST IS "KEEPING IT REAL" AND STAYIN TRUE WHEN IN FACT HE'S JUST STRUGGLING AND BROKE AND TO SCARED TO UTILIZE OTHER SKILLZ HE MAY HAVE. I'M TIRED OF WEAK ASS RHYMES....AS A RAPPER AND CONSUMER TOOOOOOO MANY FOO'S NEEEEEED 2 RETIRE. DION!!!!!! luv your realism man, 12 i hear u as well. pz

Apr 26, 2002
www.streetcredmg.com
Ok its Like This: Labels artist do Have to work alot harder when you are independent, But thats mainly because Of Your Distributer I mean look at it like this You can tour, Go out Create a Buzz, have Street teams promote in other cities, Promote in other Cities But what good will that do if you record wont be in that City? All Major Distributers Have LARGE Sales Staff(Like Def Jam has 15 people appointed to solicting just Roc-a-fella) Thats 15 people to make sure like 8000 stores atleast know The Roc has an album dropping! I've talk to all these independent Distibuters noone has more than 1! One person to thats in charge of all these labels sales?? Then you got 100 labels with atleast 4 projects each coming out a Year The store buyers just dont care about independent until it is brought to their attention that something is Hot! Ive heard it out of their mouth all before. When i talk to Southwest, Selcto, & Countless times from 12 That we are # 1, we've made this and that in the Urban Dept, Well why hasnt anyone of these # 1 Distributers hired more Sales people is it just me? That wont make a difference? 12 You do Alot & this is no way a Bash Bayside Post Ive said it once and I iwll say it again BAYSIDE Has Done alot for Done Deal Entertainment I wouldnt have Half of the albums that i have out & i know alot others that wouldnt either! 12 did what no other distributer was willing to do, Advance money, Market your record, Manufacture your record & Promote your record so it aint fair to to call say something negative about one thing they dont do, responsibilty has to fall on somebody shoulders cuz aint nobody forced to do business with any of these independent distributers! Im working on fixing my label and Distribution situation & if not I Quit!! Cuz its not worth it nomore the way things are right now and No Distributer is responsible for that! people on this Board look at yourselves too! Dont cry about a label or artist not Blowing up when you burned their shit & didnt support them maybe if they scanned 20,000 units in the Bay then a major would pick them up & dumped money into them! Dr. Dre chronic 2 soundscanned 100,000 units in oakland-SF-San Jose And im by nomeans saying any of my Albums were as good as that but if 100,000 people can go buy that album in those 3 cities then i cant get 20% of them to support by label???????? Thats Bullshit others regions Dont get down like that only The LAZY BAY!!

B-12

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.a-wax.com
Real talk Chuck. I dont take it as bashing. I take it as a reality of the game we are in and cats need to wake up, because good labels like Done Deal, Hogglife, 40 Ounce, and others fall victim to the over saturation and can't get sorted out from the rest.

But period, more labels need to pay for their OWN shit and then they can compalin about what their distributors are doing, otherwise, its hypocrisy.

Peace.