How many albums do you sell?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
for independent artist with no air-play, and limited promotions... 5000 is a success

3000 you recouped and made some...

I think any " Ideal " goal... not a dream... for a indy artist is like shoot for 30,000 to 50,000 ... I mean everyone wanna go platinum, but that won't happen... Try and make 30,000 people like ya shit and buy it, thats a successful project to me.

Nov 14, 2002
IF IM ON A INDIE....IM SHOOTIN FOR ATLEAST 100,000!!!!!!!!!!! IM NOT BULLSHITTIN.GOOD MUSIC SELLS ITSELF AND WITH THE RIGHT PROMOTION,STATE TO STATE,ITS A DONE DEAL.

BUT I WILL BE HAPPY WIT 5000 COPYS SOLD.......LOL.

Jul 20, 2002
BIGCHILL said:
IF IM ON A INDIE....IM SHOOTIN FOR ATLEAST 100,000!!!!!!!!!!! IM NOT BULLSHITTIN.GOOD MUSIC SELLS ITSELF AND WITH THE RIGHT PROMOTION,STATE TO STATE,ITS A DONE DEAL.

Yeah if we all didn't have 9 to 5's we would have sold more. We did a tour with Hot Import Nights though in 2003.

Aug 5, 2002
SicFlow said:

Also, what do yall consider an album a success?
5,000 albums sold?

Any wise businessman knows you can't measure success on an unrelative number, such as units sold. If you sell 5,000, you have to compare what it cost you to sell those units versus how much you netted off those units.

As an independent, I think a realistic guage of "success" is:

1) Did the work reflect the highest quality of material that was capable of being created at the time

2) Did the project make a profit

May 2, 2002
HAVING PEOPLE OUT THERE REALLY FEEL THE MUSIC YOU PUT YOUR HEART INTO IS A SUCCESS....IF IT'S ONE PERSON OR 30,000...IF YOU TOUCHED SOMEBODY WITH YOUR MUSIC YOU ARE A SUCCESS...BUT IF YOU JUST LOOKIN TO MAKE MONEY THEN PEEP THE POSTS ABOVE.

Apr 25, 2002
www.KillaValley.com
BIGCHILL said:

100,000 sounds good but you aint no where near being real with your self......if you aint sold music in the past 2 yrs then you in for a lil surprise .....but good hopes is always good, just dont pay the bills.....also good music use to sell it self nowa days good music makes ya ghetto fame and gives thoundsand on units down loaded....but yes 5000 is a nice number ta hit these days.....our last big one was Lethal Weaponz hit 8500 units with bayside pushing it along side us and Jackin for beatz hit 2500 but thats all we pressed well we still have bout 200 and wut ever T one is bootlegging over there in the bay.......but its hard for realz.....

good point Kage.....

for instants we sold about 2,500 BG Evil but the cost was around $3000 so it was a good album in our eyes, but then we sold bout 16,000 of MOI but the cost was about $28,000 the profit margins were just about identical to each other except it took so much more ta obtain that margin with MOI album.....so like kage says depends on your numbers in whole not just one set of numbers....remember sum one big time like say jay z he gota hit 1 million just ta break even......

Jun 29, 2002
www.sicflow.com
BIG OSO LOC said:
HAVING PEOPLE OUT THERE REALLY FEEL THE MUSIC YOU PUT YOUR HEART INTO IS A SUCCESS....IF IT'S ONE PERSON OR 30,000...IF YOU TOUCHED SOMEBODY WITH YOUR MUSIC YOU ARE A SUCCESS...BUT IF YOU JUST LOOKIN TO MAKE MONEY THEN PEEP THE POSTS ABOVE.
I feel that!Sellin 5000 copies is good for a Indie artist. Selling 30,000-50,000 deffinetly would be nice but very few have done it.

@Young k-9
Thankx for the feedback on the track.

Nov 14, 2002
100,000 sounds good but you aint no where near being real with your self--big robb

any things possible.i always keep my dreams high!!!!!even if its nothin but a dream.

but like i said, 5,000 copys,im happy as hell.i always think on that -skys the limit- mentality.

the reason why music dont sell like it use to is because wack ass mutha fuckaz in the game wit some wack ass trash!!!! hell yea ill be quick to download some shit i neva heard before cause these days 99.5 of the shit out now is hella trash!!!!!!! you cant even take thats shit back nomore and get another cd!!! if i heard a tight ass cd somebody was knockin, ill ask -who is that- then i will go -buy it. dont blame downloaders,blame wack ass music thats out these days.what you get when you take a chance on -murda joe-cd?about 2 cool songs and 15 fillers!!!! west coast mafia just sold 100,000 units. that goes to show it is possible.and im reachin for those type of numbers.---big chill.

Aug 18, 2002
That track is top notch.....I always like the beats you're comin with. When is that Southwest Outlaws hittin the shelf?

Jun 29, 2002
www.sicflow.com
@L-wood
It won't be instores until March at the earliest. It is available online tho at my websight. I'm glad you like that track, but theres some other real tight ones on the album too that you gotta check out. One

Apr 25, 2002
www.KillaValley.com
west coast mafia has put in much work to get 100,000 they didnt come out the closet and sell 100,000 .......the put years of work and lost plenty to make wut they did........but i am juss talking from a CEO's sight, a CEO with cds out and selling.....wack yes.....but are you saying "wanna be a balla" was a hit?.....it sold alot ......so wut does that say to good music sells music?....how bout bad music sells music?.....not ture theres more than juss having good music........theres more politics than you know, the distro side of things is juss the start of political views......

Personally i don't give a fuck if someone goes 10X platinum or only sells a 1,000 copies, if their music is tight they got my respect and my money.

I believe we need more new talent in the game, there are many underground rappers out there, many none of us here have even heard of, which need the exposure that some rappers that have gone mainstream just get handed to them. Im still waiting for a rap artist to come out and excite me with their flow the way pac did when i first heard his shit.

I have much respect for all these independant rappers doing their thing, many mainstream artists could learn a thing or 2 from them.

peace,