History of Hunter's Point...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 4, 2004
My little brother was doing a school project on Environmental Racism and I read this of off one of his websites... I didn't even know it was like this - thats some fucked up shit:

"Hunter's Point was formerly the oldest drydock and shipyard repair facility on the Pacific Coast. The U. S. launched its nuclear attacks against Japan during WWII, from its bases in the San Francisco Bay area, including the Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard facility. When the nuclear aircraft carrier "Enterprise" had a nuclear disaster at sea, during the Vietnam War, it returned to Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard, where its nuclear fuel and contaminated waste contaminated a large region of the shipyard facility, including a strip of contaminated submerged mud. After WWII, the Hunter's Point Shipyard became the regional depository for all sorts of materials known to be hazardous to humans, including radium, heavy metals, dioxins and other types of hormone disrupters made from petroleum and petrochemicals.

Since that time, the residents of Hunter's Point and the Bayview Districts have suffered an increase in heart disease and cardiovascular disorders, cancer of all types, birth defects, neurological and psychological disorders, reproductive disorders, and respiratory disorders. In fact, the San Francisco Bay Area has the highest rate of breast cancer in the nation. Recent studies indicate that the residents living in the communities near Hunter's Point Shipyard suffer a much higher incident rate of birth defects.

The U. S. Navy, which closed the base in the seventies, is now refusing to clean-up the dump site, to community, or residential standards.

After the shipyard received the designation of "Superfund Clean-up Site" by the U. S. Government in the late 1990's, several government agencies, including the U. S. Navy seemed to be involved in a conspiracy to prevent, or slow-down, a clean-up. This is an excellent example of environmental racism.

Their methods included filing deceptive and misleading EIR/EIS Reports, which claimed that clean-up would be impossible, without further damaging the environment and further injuring the local residents, to creating a Restoration Advisory Board, or RAB, in which leaders of the community and concerned citizens were allowed membership, supposedly to give the people of San Francisco more of a voice in the clean-up process. However, the whole process seemed prejudicial and deceptive. Many of the old RAB Board members were sell-outs who would drag their feet, instead of taking immediate action. And, the U.S. Navy maintained a dominant, racist style of control over the RAB Board, especially the spending of money by the Superfund.

As a result, over $300 million dollars has been spent, to date, on clean-up activities. However, less than 18% went to members or businesses within the local community. In contrast, the Navy had specific contractors which they funneled the money to. Thus, the Navy channelled the money from the superfund clean-up to well-established, dominant, white businesses, like contractors. This is another example of environmental racism.

In another instance, outside workers hired by these contractors "flew" a hangman's noose from a prominent sign near the old shipyard - - a traditional sign of white hatred and racism toward people of color."

-- http://www.envweb.net/hunterspoint.html#aaaaa

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
can someone say class action suit? If they did that I'm sure alot of those people would not be living in hunters point anymore

Jan 2, 2003
that movie that KEVIN EPPS(what was it called?..straight outta hunterspoint?) did address this issue...u should watch it when u have the chance...its a good movie...it shows the crazy shit...and some also some very educational things as well

May 17, 2002
any time of institutional or structural racism that is accepted by society is a muthafucka. Every major city has a story to tell similar to this, unfortunately

Mar 29, 2004
Good essay...Yea tha point is pretty fucked up thats why my auntie has to walk around with an oxygen tank.
They aint gonna clean shit up till they finish buildin all them lofts, move all the black folks out and move in all the richers.
I say who ever owns property there keep it dont sell out and let them buy your house for a couple thousand stand strong and keep your property. With all the changes they are doin now, the pollution will be cleaned up believe me rich folks get all the goodies.
I am sad tho that I wont be able to take my children back to where I grew up and show them how I lived. I will miss the point but that pollution shit is wrong...sunnydale has the same problem only it was built over garbage and radio active chemicals... and they wonder why our people are light weight nuts lol

Peace P