Gainesville church sparks outrage

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 13, 2002
Why is the Black Panthers worried about what a pastor does in his own church?

More grandstanding by so called "Black leaders"

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Members of the New Black Panther Party showed up in Gainesville Monday to let The Dove World Outreach Center know it is outraged by its plan to burn the Koran.

"I believe in peace but if you aggress me, I am going to fight back," said State Chairman of the New Black Panther Party Mikhail Muhammad.

The church plans to burn the holy book Saturday on the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

The pastor's plan has reached all the way to Afghanistan where Monday hundeds of demonstrators burned a cardboard effigy of the Gainesville pastor, Terry Jones.

"We are not surprised at all that they are responding in that way because that's the nature of Sharia law, that's the nature of violent Islam," said Jones.

The Black Panthers say they want President Barack Obama and Governor Charlie Crist to stand up and condemn the church's plan.

They're also hoping Jones changes his mind.

"We basically want to warn Pastor Terry Jones that if he burns this Koran, he's going to incite a wrath and chastisement on himself that he will not be able to bare and all he's going to do is add more division between Muslims and Christians when we should be sitting down at the table to resolve our differences," said Muhammad.

The New Black Panther Party say it will be back in Gainesville Saturday to show the church and the world they won't stand for religious hatred.

Jones says he won't let anything stand in his way.

"We think the message is that important," said Jones. "We think we also cannot back down because of fear, because if we back down it will not make Islam any more moderate."

Gainesville Police showed up in front of the church while the New Black Panthers were in town and told them to move from the street. They told them they could not be in the street or on the church's property.

:ab:

blunt_hogg559
Jul 6, 2005
they can burn the book. just be ready to deal with a world full of angry muslims as a consequence.

Aug 19, 2004
It's funny how there's all these Muslim scholars now saying what Islam is and isn't, and speaking on Sharia Law.

Also ironic is that this is coming from a Christian pastor, who's religion is banned in other countries.

Even so, that doesn't mean people should resort to violence just because someone else burns a book.

Jan 31, 2008
If you are trying to force me to extend the cretin label to everyone who believes in any "higher power", I can definitely do that
obviously i am.
hopefully your "definitive" capability is the same all around tho, or else you arent reading anything im saying which i dont assume you are.

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Cool. So posting it yesterday implies that its importance is paramount, though the date of origin isn't specified anywhere in the original post and continuity doesn't mean much of anything. Simple.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Qur'an-burning_controversy

This has been going on for a long time but they really burned it on the 20th last month. Then it took a few days for the information to trickle down outside of what we tend to call civilization and into the mountains of Afghanistan and then the attacks happened.

At this point, it is hard to even feel outraged about this. But once you understand the connection between it and this:

http://science.edgeboss.net/wmedia/science/sst2011/033111.wvx

You gradually come to realize how much soap can be made out of all the Christians and Muslims in the world and how much better place the world would be as a result...

Aug 19, 2004
Maybe he's one of those pastors that wants to bring the apocalypse faster so he can see Jesus come back in his lifetime.

I mean, what else would he hope to accomplish? Will his mock trial for the Koran that he held in his backyard really push the United States to outlaw Islam?

I would be curious to know what media outlets made it a point to broadcast this news? They share a responsibility in this as well.

Jun 10, 2002
I mean some of you dont really think too much of religion, I belief in god for the most part but I dont go to church because alot of them take what the bible says and twists the words around to fit there own beliefs and ideas. but the muslims are willing to die for what they belief in and kill for it too. and this jackass burning their holy quran really wasnt a good idea because they already dont like us anyways and him doing what he did gave them even more of a reason to hate us and they are down there killing people because of his actions. so hell yes I say he has blood on his hands.