Fact or Fiction? Who Keeps Stealing From The Bay Area

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 21, 2002
Fact or Fiction?
Who Keeps Stealing From
The Bay Area
by - T-Kash
7/19/02 9:53:54 AM
It's no question that the hip hop community is one of emmulation and recycling,both musically and verbally.And for the most part, the game is good for paying respect and homage to the originators of the concepts and cultures from which it picks and pulls from,for whatever reason each induvidual artist/producer may have.For example,the now defunct group The Lench Mob with the 1993 track "Guerillas ain't Gangstas",quoting Bay Area MOBB music legend Spice 1's trademark ,"and if you ever disrespect me I'ma bank ya!" they also said peace to Spice,which gave the Bay Area proper recognition for our culture and it's contribution to the rest of the hip hop world.

TIMES HAVE DEFINITLEY CHANGED SINCE THEN

Today, the Bay Area sets an abundance of trends and gets little if not any recognition for the contributions we have given to the game.Equally important is the blaitant "jacking" of our slang and production by both underground and mainstream artists.Last and most important,the lack of truthfulness behind the origin of these contributions when explained by the artists that pick and pull at the Bay Area's MOBB music culture. With that being said,I figured that we play a little game of "FACT OR FICTION", just to make my point more clearer.

FACT OR FICTION?:

SNOOP DOGG IS THE ORIGINATOR OF THE TERMS
"FA SHIZZLE" "PLEASE BELEIVE IT" AND "NEPHEW"!

FICTION:The term "FA SHIZZLE" is actually just another way to say "FA SHEEZY",which was invented by Oakland's 3x KRAZY,and quoted by E-40 on his 1996 release,"THE HALL OF GAME".The song was called "RECORD HATERS" where E-"FEEZY" stated," My patna's 3x krazy laced me, taught me how to say FA SHEEZY".

SNOOP DOGG was first noticed saying "FA SHIZZLE MY NIZZLE" on the beginning of his video for "SNOOP DOGG",off "THE LAST MEAL" which was released in late 2000/early 2001. "PLEASE BELEIVE IT" and "NEPHEW" originated on the releases by Vallejo's MAC SHAWN "MUSIC FO THE MOBB" and "MIND OF A PIMP,HEART OF A GANGSTA" by MAC DRE in 1999.The term "NEPHEW" was a penitentary term that bled over into the Bay Area streets and from the streets to the rap game in 1994 with the release "STRAIGHT GAME" by Vallejo's YOUNG D BOYZ,and various projects from former DEF JAM artist,Oakland's RICHIE RICH.

FACT OR FICTION?:

JAY-Z STARTED FOUNDED THE TERM
"PARKING LOT PIMPING",AND HIS LABELMATE CAMRON STARTED THE TERM "OH-BOY"!

FICTION: The term "Parking Lot Pimpin'" was a Bay Area way of saying you couldn't get up in the club for what ever reason and you were going to hang in the parking lot outside the club.This was first put on the map by Hayward Cali's DEN GEE, known then as the 187 FAC.Their 1997 release "FAC NOT FICTION" contained the same titled track as JIG'S, but the hook was not as commercial.As for Cam and "OH-BOY",that was also a Bay Area term that was being said on the streets and bled over into the MOBB music by 1998 being heard on various projects,but the history was documented on the 1999 release by San Francisco's DON CISCO,who's album was titled "OH-BOY".JIG's release hit in 2000 and CAM'S can be heard on almost every top 40 station as you read this now.

FACT OR FICTION?:

ARTIST LIKE USHER, P-DIDDY, NORE, SNOOP DOGG AND NUMEROUS OTHERS
WERE THE FIRST TO SHOW US HOW TO POP COLLARS..

FICTION:All one has to do is go back to the 1994-95 release of San Francisco's Tha Network which featured Messy Marv and San Quinn. There you will hear the hit song 'Pop Yo' Collars' which sampled the song 'Single Life' by Cameo. Since then there have been way too many Bay Area songs hawking the 'Pop Yo Collar' theme to keep count. Everyone from MC Hammer to E-40 have put out 'Popping Collar songs. In fact Hammer released a video a couple of years ago that highlighted all the ways one can 'pop collars'. The song was featured at the end of his recent VHI Special.

and that's REALTALK.

T-K.A.S.H

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
Today, the Bay Area sets an abundance of trends
NO THEY DONT. OH BOY, FA SHIZZLE AND NEPHEW DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN ABUNDANCE OF TRENDS. ITS NOT LIKE ANYONE WENT PLATINUM OFF THOSE LINES.

ESPECIALLY OH BOY. YALL ACT LIKE THAT IS SOME BIG THING. IT MAY BE NOW BUT NOT CUZ OF THE BAY. AND BESIDES THEY AINT EVEN USING IT IN THE SAME CONTEXT. FUCKIN LAMES.

AND WHO'S JACKING THE BAY'S PRODUCTION. LMAO!!! LAST TIME I CHECKED THE BAY HAS THE WEAKEST PRODUCTION IN THE GAME. IF NOT, THEN WHO ARE THEY BITIN?

Apr 25, 2002
''Parking Lot Pimpin''

DEN GEE or Jay Tee of N2Deep? Who said it first?

I hope the bay gets recognition some day for that shit...

To ease ya mind, KC got the bay's back. WE know where the slang is comin from...

Jun 21, 2002
Last time I checked Rick Rock produced a couple hits for Jayz...
and context or not Oh Boy is still the terminology used...
Weak producers?? Who's dope??

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
THATS WHAT IM SAYING ? WHOS DOPE? YOU SAID THAT THE BAYS PRODUCTION IS BEING JACKED. WHERE? I DONT SEE IT!!

YOUR ARGUMENT HAS NO SUBSTANCE

Jun 13, 2002
Oakland,Ca
fuck that shit all thats bay shit oh boy is bay shit what he said is real the others just peeped game and hopped on the ban wagon
but they have more exsposure so they made it bigger BUT IT ALL STARTED FROM THE BAY and that song by camron IS FUCKIN GARBAGE ITS A PEICE OF RUBBISH your right they are using it in a diffrent context in a retarded contex they ruined it you are a fuckin faggot FUCK U. WHAT?WHOS LAME?PM ME IF YOU GOT SOMTHING TO SAY!!other wise shut the fuck up.

Apr 25, 2002
Like I said....

There is a difference between who started a word/saying, and who just happen to record it first (put on record). We may never know who started it, but we can say who put it on record first.

May 3, 2002
Now that someone mentioned it, you don't think Jay-Z heard Rick Rock say such things, then proceeded to use them himself? I don't know how Jay-Z (and Cam'ron) can "borrow" shit without giving recognition (it's the least they can do) to the place they "borrowed" it from and not feel guilty... shame on 'em.

(Isn't "yo" East Coast slang?)

Apr 25, 2002
snoop was on kmel and also on some bet show like a year or two ago and he gave credit to mac shawn for the term nephew, but he was tryin to act like he made all that fashizzle slanguage up.

N

Nostril King

Bay artists need to stop sampling Mo bounce to the ounce, and stop rapping 100 words per second - because it doesn't take skill, it just takes practice, and I, for one, am not going to break my neck in my car trying to listen to that bullshit especially when I realize that they ain't sayin shit after all that furious "spitting"

They need to make some goddamn hits that everyone can enjoy - not just 40 miles of outdated muthafuckers.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
Nostril King said:
Bay artists need to stop sampling Mo bounce to the ounce, and stop rapping 100 words per second - because it doesn't take skill, it just takes practice, and I, for one, am not going to break my neck in my car trying to listen to that bullshit especially when I realize that they ain't sayin shit after all that furious "spitting"

They need to make some goddamn hits that everyone can enjoy - not just 40 miles of outdated muthafuckers.
YOU KNOW? YOU JUST ABOUT SUMMED IT UP, THEY AINT SAYIN SHIT, AND THATS PROBABLY WHY THEIR FANS MUST RESORT TO PETTY GRIPES SUCH AS THE USAGE OF A COUPLE WORDS.

May 29, 2002
it aint about the eastcoast or whoever using the slang from the bay, they take it and claim it as their own. all those "east" words like yo and jam everyone uses now. no bay rapper claims it as theirs. as for oh boy and fo shizzle and shit, camron, jay-z, snoop all heard that shit from the bay and use it like they came up with it.

they get away with it because only the bay knows where it came from, a normal guy from the east aint heard of 40, 3xkrazy and n2deep. they are all bustas for that shit. they could at least say somethin so people know it was borrowed. snoop on there actin like he made that shit up