Ethical dilemna with Universal

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 8, 2006
I'm not sure I can buy Everready if it's distributed by Universal. It's kind of a promise I made to myself.

I represented a client sued by Universal for allegedly torrent-ing meet the fockers. The guy obviously didn't file share any move - hell he had proof he'd bought it on pay-per-view within one month of the alleged download.

I went round and round with Universal and they were incorrigible. They treated their MPAA lawsuits like a volume business and could care less about the facts of a particular case. After dealing with those jackasses, I promised myself I'd avoid Universal at all costs. Turns out that's going to be harder than I thought...

How principled am I?

What if I bought tech's album and then just stole another Universal album to help balance it out?

Jul 1, 2004
nonlinear said:
I'm not sure I can buy Everready if it's distributed by Universal. It's kind of a promise I made to myself.

I represented a client sued by Universal for allegedly torrent-ing meet the fockers. The guy obviously didn't file share any move - hell he had proof he'd bought it on pay-per-view within one month of the alleged download.

I went round and round with Universal and they were incorrigible. They treated their MPAA lawsuits like a volume business and could care less about the facts of a particular case. After dealing with those jackasses, I promised myself I'd avoid Universal at all costs. Turns out that's going to be harder than I thought...

How principled am I?

What if I bought tech's album and then just stole another Universal album to help balance it out?
...my god. Just get over it. Be an adult and move on.

thats just my 2 cents

Feb 9, 2006
I got threatened by Warner Bros. because I tried downloading Batman Begins. You don't see me crying. What are they gonna do? Sick the Animaniacs on my ass? Everready could be distributed by Nambla and I'd still buy it.

shep

Sicc OG
Oct 2, 2002
good luck avoiding anything universal. that's next to impossible as they own pretty much everything from movies (universal studios), tv (NBCUniversal), music (universal), and since NBC is owned by General Electric, yet NBC also is joined with Universal, one could argue if you buy anything from GE you are supporting keeping it's sister and daughter companies in business. So, while your principals might be right, it'd be impossible to carry out.

Jan 2, 2004
Do you know exactly how many labels universal owns? It'd be hard for you to get any music if you refused to buy anything that had to do with universal..

Fontana
Geffen Records
Interscope
Island Def Jam Music Group
Lost Highway Records
MCA Nashville
Mercury Nashville
Motown Records
UNI Records
Universal Music Classics Group
Universal Records
Universal Music Enterprises
Universal Music Latino
Universal South
Verve Music Group

Artists like... 2Pac, 3 Doors Down, 50 Cent, Akon, Black Eyed Peas, Blink 182, Bob Marley, Bon Jovi, Busta Rhymes, Cash Money, Chamillionaire, Cky, Common, D12, Damian Marley, David Banner, DMX, Dru Hill, Elton John, Elvis Costello, Eminem, Eve, Foxy Brown, G-Unit, Godsmack, Guns N' Roses, Gwen Stefani, Gza, Hank Williams, Hatebreed, Helmet, Hush, ICP, Ja Rule, Jadakiss, Jay-Z, Jayo Felony, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Cash, Jurassic 5, Kanye West, Kiss, Lil Wayne, Limp Bizkit, Lionel Richie, LL Cool J, Lloyd Banks, Ludacris, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Mariah Carey, Marilyn Manson, Mars Volta, Mary J Blige, Metallica, Method Man, Mobb Deep, Mos Def, Nelly, Nelly Furtado, Nine Inch Nails, No Doubt, NORE, Obie Trice, Onyx, Pastor Troy, Pharrell, Rahzel, Ruff Ryders, Shaggy, Shania Twain, Sheryl Crow, Sisqo, Slim Thug, Snoop Dogg, St. Lunatic, Stat Quo, Styles P, Talib Kweli, The Cure, The Game, The Killers, The Who, Toby Keith, U2, Weezer, Will Smith, Young Buck, and many, many, many more...

http://new.umusic.com/artists.aspx

.. If you haven't bought any of the CDs of the people already on Universal, then I'd say, don't buy Everready.. But chances are, you've been buying CDs from Universal and not knowing, since it seems like Universal owns at least 50% of the music out there.

Jan 2, 2004
disboiluvgrls said:
yes.thats true....it counts on soundscan too because they go by units SHIPPED not sold....
I think Soundscan goes by units sold and the RIAA goes by units shipped, which is why people always end up going platinum before they actually sell 1,000,000 copies.

Feb 8, 2006
hmmm...guess that was some bad sarcasm on my part cuz too many took it seriously. Of course I'm going to buy the album. And yes, I have no choice but to buy universal. But, shit like my experience makes me somewhat sad to see tech go to a big label. I'm happy for him, but it reminded me how much big labels suck. Protect your copyright. That's fine. But be reasonable and have some foresight.

Good luck to tech on Universal Tech.

pc