Cubase SX

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 4, 2005
Any CUBASE SX users here at Siccness? What's your experience using this recording software?

I've been a user of Cubase SX for 2 years now and I like how easy it is to operate and the many plug-ins are TIGHT :). There are so many I still have yet to use all of them.

MR. CLEEN

CEO/Producer of E&K Music Group
Apr 25, 2002
Been using Cubase since 1992 and been using Cubase SX for 2 years doing Sequencing and Audio. I'm moving to Nuendo 3.1 now cause I've Mastered Cubase. I've nevered used Protools, and as long as Steinberg has a Audio recording format, it's what I'll be using.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Pro Tools is sooooo limited, I don't know why its the industry standard for digital audio. It is real easy to run though, i'll give them that but you are forced into buying their hardware and spending an extra couple hundred of dollars for plugins compatable with PT especially with the real deal TDM systems that start at around 13 thousand bucks without a control surface its ridiculous!

Apr 25, 2002
ProTools is the industry standard because when it came out there wasn't any competition and consumer computer hardware was garbage. It was perfecting timing. A lot of studios have been reluctant to switch because they're already heavily invested in ProTools equipment and it is still the standard. It's losing ground though and that's why theres an M-Audio version now for use with M-Audio interfaces. There's finally some real competition and they arn't bullshittin'.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
I have nuendo but,Im having a small problem.
I record lets just say a vocal on track1 the wave comes up and everything is cool
now on track 2 I record and even If I dont say anything in the mic I hear the previous track on my speakers and the wave from track 1 is bein recorded again on track2
also when I record I have to unclick the monitor symle or else there is a bad echo

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
ejukated_ent said:
man i feel way outta place...im running acid 5.0. been running acid for 5 years since i was 14 never got around to learning anything else. any suggestions on where to go from here?
Isnt acis just loop base type sequences,Its a nice program dont get me wrong,and if its workin for you cool.I would demo somethin else if yoe feel you need to move on,Pretty much anytrhing,cubase,logic(hard to learn I heard) digital performer,sonar

Jun 12, 2004
deepsleeprecords.com
Cubase supports 32 bit recording but this is mainly dealing the way that the programs stores the file and uses the internal headroom. There are no audio devices that support more than 24 bit recording. My advice to most people is to not get caught up in bitrates. As long as you record in 24 bits over 16 bits and make sure that your plugins do not operate at any less than a 24 bit bitrate then you're fine. Your program, plugins, etc... will likely work at different bitrates internally.

On topic, I am a Cubase SX user. I'm looking at a Pro tools system only to use it as a way to port pro tools sessions to Cubase sessions when needed or to not deal with the conversion in the first place. My main workstation is still going to be Cubase.

Sonar has a nice vocal manupulation plugin coming out with Sonar 5, that looks interesting also. I don't like the Sonar workflow but their plugin looks interesting. It's close to what Melodyne is except that it's integrated, which is the plus.

Cubase's audio engine is also more accurate than that of the Pro Tools engine. This has been proven with testing the way that both programs add up numbers.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Been using Cubase since 1999. I'm now using SX3 and absolutely love it. I have ProTools M-Powered...but it's only so I can be "industry standard." I only use it to transfer sessions.

It's nice to see people finally coming around and realizing that there are much better alternatives to ProTools. Digidesign is slowly losing it's foothold in the industry....that's why they're making their software compatible with other soundcards. But it's too little too late in my opinion. The program is a joke and is in need of a serious overhaul. The only thing I like about it that I wish Cubase had is the non-linear grouping. Other than that.....it's a pain in the ass to work with.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
In Protools....you don't have to run groups in a sequential order according to the group letter or number (it's letters in PT and numbers in Cubase). In Cubase they have to go in sequential order and can only be routed forward. It's kinda hard to explain unless you're familiar with both of the programs. It basically gives you alot of versatility on your routing options.

Let's say that you have 4 groups....1, 2, 3 & 4. In Cubase you would only be able to run group 2 into group 3 or 4 and not into group 1. In ProTools you can run any group into any other group and don't have to route in a linear (straight line) fashion.

Get it?

Jun 12, 2004
deepsleeprecords.com
Somewhat, is it anything like group channels in Cubase? You can add group channels which essential work as insert channels with different slots for insert effects. The group channels can have send effects routed to them and the regulars tracks can have inserts, sends, and group channels inserted into them in its send slots.

Each of these can be sent to physical outputs or other channels/groups, etc...

But I'm probably not really seeing the advantage of the PT concept.

Hans

Oct 5, 2005
Cubase is the shit, it comes with tight plugins and is as good if not better than pro-tools, especailly if you can't afford to buy all of the separate pro-tools plugins...SX is no doubt the best, although I run SE with my setup, it still sounds tight, and I continue to drop albums and mixtapes of the best quality...also it depend on how good your engineer is