Corrales Appeals Castillo Rematch Call

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 17, 2003
I wanna see a rematch,how bout ya'll

MEXICO CITY - Lightweight champion Diego Corrales has appealed a World Boxing Council order for an immediate rematch with the man he beat to take the title, Jose Luis Castillo of Mexico.

According to a statement released Thursday by the Mexico City-based WBC, the U.S.-born Corrales (41-2) said the governing body almost never requires immediate rematches and it should allow him an intermediate fight before he has to defend his title against Castillo.

Castillo (52-7-2) twice knocked down Corrales during a long and brutal title bout on May 7 in Las Vegas. But Corrales prevailed when referee Tony Weeks ended the fight at 2:06 of the 10th round, with Castillo on the ropes and taking tremendous punishment to the head.

Castillo appealed to the WBC for an immediate rematch, claiming Weeks unintentionally took too long to count out Castillo after the knockdowns. The council ruled the two should fight again as soon as possible, prompting Corrales' appeal.

The WBC said it would refer Corrales' objection to its appeals committee.

Jun 13, 2005
C-DUBB said:
chico is a hogg.... ive read that he wants to move up to 140 and face ricky hatton ... id rather see that one then the rematch with castillo.....
its a hard choice for chico cause he keeps fighting the best & although hes won alot
of em hes taken alot of punishment. he may be considering a step up against hatton
but more likely corrales will fight a lesser opponent then rematch castillo.
or have another longish layoff

Jun 27, 2003
Yea, I'd love to see a rematch with Castillo, but I agree Corrales and Hatton would probably be more interesting. Hatton's technique really isn't all that great, but he has hella endurance.