Component vs. HDMI

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 18, 2003
Since I had my cable installed (a month or so ago in my new place) I've been using component video because thats what the guy gave me. I finally got around to mounting my TV on the wall and now the bulky component wires are showing. While doing this I found an HDMI cable a friend of mine gave to me and swore by, saying it was "way better" than component. I can tell a small difference in the appearance but shit, I really can't call it. Maybe my eyes are just fucked up but I really don't know if what I'm looking at is better or not. The audio, while not "worse" seems to have been lowered with the HDMI. Will it fuck anything up if I hook up both the HDMI and component, then toggle the input to make comparisons?

The cable box says 1080 when the component cables are in and 720 when the HDMI is in. My TV is a 720, so obviously the 1080 does me no justice but is this in any way an indication as to the quality of the connection?

42" Samsung Plasma 720
Comcast HD-DVR Box
Component vs. HDMI

Thoughts?

Mar 18, 2003
I think I've pinpointed the difference. HDMI has a smoother, less defined image, while component has more sharpness. The component creates a more "HD" image but is more grainy.

Still trying to decide which is better.

I've never fucked with the VGA cable, but I already have the other two.

ReKz

Sicc OG
May 26, 2002
I think I've pinpointed the difference. HDMI has a smoother, less defined image, while component has more sharpness. The component creates a more "HD" image but is more grainy.
Don't know about those descriptions, the difference between HDMI and Component at 720p/1080i (what HD television shows are broadcast in) should be minimal. The main differences between the two at the those resolutions are that HDMI is basically "lossless" as it doesn't have to convert the digital signal (since it is itself digital) whereas Component is analog and must convert to digital. You shouldn't necessarily see ANY difference between the two though given the resolution of your TV.

Audio wise, HDMI is usually the best option as it supports more audio codecs and doesn't require more cables.

Overall, HDMI would be the best choice if you want to improve cable management (since it carries both video/audio) and want the "best" image/audio quality.

Mar 18, 2003
Right on, the description I gave could have just been in my head, or the channel I was watching. But that is the information I was looking for. Would it hurt anything if I hooked them both up just to get a better look? I'm probably going to stick with the HDMI, though. Thanks.

Jun 5, 2004
@ETHERAL HOW DOES IT LOOK WITH THE WALL MOUNT, CAN U TAKE A PIC OF UR SETUP?

IM TRYNA GET A WALL MOUNT BUT IM WORRIED THAT ALL THE CABLES RUNNING UP THE WALL R GONNA LOOK LIKE SHIT. I KNOW IT WOULD BE HELLA EXPENSIVE TO HAVE A CABLE AND POWER OUTLET PUT IN UP HIGHER ON MY WALL THO

Jun 5, 2004
"HDMI DELIVERS THE BEST IMAGE QUALITY OF ANY OF THE CABLE TYPES AVAILABLE AND ITS ALL DONE OVER ONE CABLE. YOU GET A GREAT PICTURE AND CUT DOWN ON YOUR CABLE CLUTTER. HDMI PROVIDES DIGITAL QUALITY AND AMAZING SOUND SO IF YOUR TV HAS HDMI, THIS IS THE CONNECTION TYPE YOU SHOULD BE USING"

"COMPONENT CONSISTS OF THREE CABLES FOR TRANSMITTING VIDEO AND TWO CABLES FOR TRANSMITTING AUDIO: ONE RED AND ONE WHITE. COMPONENT VIDEO PROVIDES A SHARPER IMAGE THAN COMPOSITE VIDEO AND SHOULD BE USED INSTEAD OF COMPOSITE WHEN POSIBLE. HOWEVER, BECAUSE IT IS STILL AN ANALOG CONNECTION, IT WONT PROVIDE THE HIGH QUALITY VIDEO AND AUDIO THAT HDMI CAN PRODUCE"

May 14, 2002
HDMI cable put your tv on mute and plug and audio optic cable to your surround system.

That is the set up I use.

Jul 9, 2007
@ETHERAL HOW DOES IT LOOK WITH THE WALL MOUNT, CAN U TAKE A PIC OF UR SETUP?

IM TRYNA GET A WALL MOUNT BUT IM WORRIED THAT ALL THE CABLES RUNNING UP THE WALL R GONNA LOOK LIKE SHIT. I KNOW IT WOULD BE HELLA EXPENSIVE TO HAVE A CABLE AND POWER OUTLET PUT IN UP HIGHER ON MY WALL THO
I got my shit wall mounted over my fireplace so it's just basically drywall over brick so I can't have a outlet ran up there (and I rent) so I just bought some wire covers from home depot they look pretty decent and they only cost like 20 or 30 bucks for 6 feet that you can cut to fit how you need. I couldn't find any pics from home depot and don't really know how to upload any from my camera but it's basically what you see in this google pic.

It is that piece between the tv an entertainment center thing and I got a shitload of wires going through mine suround sound, 2 360s, a wii, an external hard drive, power cables, speaker cables, everything. You just screw the back part on and the front snaps on and off so you can redo or add new shit if needed really easy. Shit ain't the greatest looking but for a renter like me who changes shit up alot it works great and keeps my bitch from complaining that there's wires all over.

Jun 5, 2004
^ WHAT SIZE TV DO YOU HAVE? IS THE MOUNT STURDY WITH IT DRILLED INTO DRYWALL ONLY?

HOW HIGH DO YALL THINK I SHOULD MOUNT MY TV? I WAS THINKING ABOUT MOUNTING IT PRETTY HIGH

Jun 5, 2004
HDMI cable put your tv on mute and plug and audio optic cable to your surround system.

That is the set up I use.
I GOT MINE LIKE THAT BUT CONNECTED REG AUDIO CABLES TO MY GHETTO SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM. LOL FOR $15 ITS COOL, NOT TRUE 5.1 I DONT THINKBUT IT STILL GOT GOOD CRISPY SOUND COMING FROM THE RIGHT DIRECTIONS.

Jul 9, 2007
^ WHAT SIZE TV DO YOU HAVE? IS THE MOUNT STURDY WITH IT DRILLED INTO DRYWALL ONLY?

HOW HIGH DO YALL THINK I SHOULD MOUNT MY TV? I WAS THINKING ABOUT MOUNTING IT PRETTY HIGH
I got a 50inch but when mounting it I drilled through the drywall and then drilled into the brick and used the set of anchors that came with the mount for use in brick. The mount came with like 8 different sets of screws and anchors for different type of mounting drywall, drywall with wood studs, Brick ect. I got the mount for like 25 buck on ebay and it had no instructions but I know what anchors are for what and I have hung these tvs up before for friends. The same mount at best buy was like 100 bucks. It took a week to get here from ebay but fuck it was like 75 buck less for no instructions.