Cognito Interview

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 15, 2006
http://www.illuminati2g.com/cognitointerview.htm

I2G kicked it with one of the newest members of Strange Music, Bay Area rep Cognito for a exclusive interview. We talk about his new album, Automatic, dropping on 4/20, the new single and video, Outcast, his thoughts on being on Strange Music and much more so check it out.

Illuminati 2G is here with Cognito how's it going?

What's happening man I am doing good.

You have a new album, Automatic, that is set to drop on 4/20. Tell me a little bit about the album.

It's my debut with Strange. It feels good to be will a label lets me do what I want to do and be free. That is something that I have not been able to do in the past, so this was a coming out party for me. Doing what I had to do on this album.

What was your mindstate when you were creating the album? You have alot of personal songs on there like Outcast, I'm Going Crazy and Depression.

Anytime I am working on music, it is compiled of life and that is my easiest way of writing. I never force myself to write, even if I am working on other projects, I really want to have time to do it and get into the songs. For this one I knew I needed to step it up with the roster that Strange has and I knew I had to hold nothing back when it comes to really expressing myself.

I knew when I first started talking with Strange, the songs that they had heard from Tech and Travis it was always the personal songs. It was always the Depression type songs that they were like wow this song is deep and this song is crazy. So I knew what they liked and I knew what direction I could see them wanting me to go. It was perfect because that was the direction I was always trying to go.

Everything on the album was stuff that could just flow easy and really comes out of me when I am put in the right situation and environment. Working with Strange is the perfect environment for me.

You just dropped the video for Outcast, tell me a little bit about how that video came together.

The video for Outcast, we knew basically after the album was done what track we were going to run with first. Because that song got the biggest response from the people that we showed it to and the people that had to evaluate the music ahead of time and see what my album was going to be about.

That song was a standout to everyone at the label, and it was a coming out song to show the fans what I am about and who I am. When you hear it, you automatically know that it is a real track and it is something that is me. That was the best way for the fans and people to see me that did not know me or know what I was about to really express myself with that.

We knew the video would be big once Liquid 9 heard it and really got a chance to scope it out. When had a couple of ideas and Liquid 9 said let's make it a little bit more personal and instead of directing it one way, we would rather it be all you. We want people to just basically focus on you, the song in general and we think this will be a good way to introduce you and your music to the Strange fans and to the world, and I think they nailed it on the button.

Basically a secluded type area, with me searching for what I am looking for. Do I know what I am looking for or not and kind of just putting the past behind me and that pretty much goes with the whole theme for Automatic. From the album cover to the other music that is on there, it is a new beginning for me.

Here is the stuff that happened in the past and this is what got me to the point that I am at right now.

That actually leads right into my next question. You have one of the illest album covers out there right now. What was the concept behind the cover?

Basically I can't get any credit for that. When I saw it, I was blown away. We did a big photo shoot with Austin Walsh out there in Kansas City and his photography is crazy. Of course we wanted to venture into a few different areas with for example having my face like this or this of me on the cover. But then when Liquid 9 got into it and really evaluated me 110% and seen that you know what, we like the Phoenix.

We like what it stands for and that it is a rebirth. We like that it is a statement which what Automatic is. I chose for this album not to have a theme song for it. I did not want it to be a regular album where I got to have a title song for the album. We all sat down and decided that the Phoenix best represents me as a artist. Nothing like we need a picture of you here or there, this is what best fits the theme and direction we are trying to present.

But I cannot take credit for that. Liquid 9 came up with the concept and it came out immaculate.

Absolutely. Do you have another single or video picked for the album?

Right now we do not have any videos planned but the next single is going to be Born To Be Fly. It features Krizz Kaliko and Tech N9NE and it was produced by Nate Beats. DJ Chill was playing some beats for me and that beat came on and I decided to flip it a little bit. Most of the songs on the album had a more slower pace to them and were darker.

This song was more upbeat and I spit with a more rapid flow then the other tracks. There is really no other track like it on the album but I needed it and I wanted it on there. Krizz was already on the album a couple of times but I wanted him to display his lyrics on this one. Krizz has to be one of the most talented artists that I have worked with.

So I already had a hook for it, we all did 3 16's. Krizz did his thing, Tech ripped his verse and I did the same. I am not sure what direction we are going as far as a video but definitely Born To Be Fly will be the next single.

In my opinion Strange Music is one of the elite indie labels out there.

Definitely.

What is it like working with Tech N9NE? Is he very hands on with your music or does he sit back and let you do our own thing.

That is a good question and the best way I can sum it up is it is a little bit of both. He does give you feedback but he also alllows you to make the kind of music that you want to make. Because his mentality is we the artists are going to decide what songs to make singles and videos for. Not going with what is hot on the radio or TV.

You have to remember 5 years ago I was one of the biggest Tech N9NE fans. To me he is a legend and to work with him is surreal to me. I am going to go the extra mile and put out the best music I can because I believe in Tech and the label. But yeah to answer your question he is hands on when I need it, because I need constructive criticism.

Whether I am a new artist or a platinum selling artist, I need that and he gives it to me. But also at the same time he allows me to find my own niche and create the music that is me. And that is what the fans will get with the new album.

Are you going to be a part of the Strange Days tour coming up?

Actually that tour starts May 12th. Currently the North By Northwest tour is going on and me and Lynch are not a part of it. We both had albums coming out around the time the tour started. But for Strange Days we will be on that tour. The whole Strange Music family will be on it, and we have some good VIP deals for people. This is the first real big tour for the label.

If you buy the VIP package you get the new Tech N9NE album, Lynch album and my album as well. There is also another tour that will start shortly after Strange Days ends and I wish I had more information on it but I don't. It is the start of alot of great tours to come for us.

What is your website information.

www.twitter.com/therealcognito, www.facebook.com/therealcognito, www.myspace.com/therealcognito, www.therealcognito.com. We are full fledged into the promotion of the album, the Outcast video is now up and has over 20,000 views so far. It is a real good look and we are really pushing the album here before its 4/20 release.

Alright well that is all the questions I have for you, appreciate you getting down for the interview. Is there any last words or shoutouts you want to get out there to the people?

I just want to shout out all the fans of Strange Music. Thanks for all the support, and I want to shout out the Strange Music family. They have all treated me as such and not even when I was signed to Master P have I felt this comfort level like I have with Strange. I know it will be the start of a long term relationship with the label and I am blessed and honored to be a part of it. Also I thank you for taking the time to do the interview, I really appreciate it.