Can you just use electrical tape to fix torn wiring?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 28, 2004
My room mate had to have this godamn bunny rabbit, and it chewed the wires behind our TV to fucking shreads. I can't watch movies now, because the wire connecting the DVD/VCR to the television ( I don't know how it works exactly, but there's one wire that's cut, and the DVD/VCR won't show the movie. It'll play the audio, but no picture.) is chewed and cut. Can I just unplug everything from the wall, and use electrical tape to fuse this shit back together?? I just noticed this today when I went to watch a movie. I can't reach my room mate to tell her about this either. This rabbit shits everywhere, chews everything and isn't even friendly. The only thing about it is that he's cute. He has no other redeeming qualities.

Though he may be immortal, because I thought you'd get electricuted if you chewed through wires. It's all plugged in, and I got a shock when I found the damage. I accidently touched a bare spot.

Should I try to electrical tape everything back together? Would that work..? Do I need to weld this? Or should I just buy new cords? I don't know about this stuff and I am not sure how to look it up. I should leave it to an expert maybe. I'm trying not to spend more money than I have to here.. especially when I want to ask my roomie to chip towards getting this fixed. I've never had this situation either.

Aug 8, 2003
make lucky rabbits feet if hes immortal lol..

but nah, i wouldnt use it.. even tho its coverd, if u still move or pick up the wire it will still arc..

Sep 28, 2004
Can you get cables like that at a Staples or computer store? I will have to go out and buy this stuff tomorrow.. Then I'll have to make something to keep the rabbit from getting behind the TV.

Apr 25, 2002
CannibalCrow said:
Can you get cables like that at a Staples or computer store? I will have to go out and buy this stuff tomorrow.. Then I'll have to make something to keep the rabbit from getting behind the TV.
wal mart should have them

Sep 19, 2003
You could carefully take off some of the wire shielding (the black or clear plastic around the wire) and twist some of the wire together, then tape it up with electric tape. But the wire that got chewed up sounds like audio/video wire, and the wires are very skinny and really hard to work with. I've done it before, but if I had to do it again I would just buy a new one.

Sep 28, 2004
We got new wires ( as per suggestion ) and now we're going to install them. And we got barriers to keep the rabbit away from the wires. And electrical tape to patch up the wires he chewed on a little. Hopefully this works.

Thanks for all the help about wires.