Can Asians Get Props In the Rap Industry?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Can Asians Get Props In This Rap Industry?

• Hell Yeah, Asian are Marketable as hell!!

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • KINDA...white, black, hispanic, or asian it's all the same

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • No Chance....never heard a asian rapper with "Real" Game

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters
May 5, 2003
www.soundclick.com
Do You Think That Asians Can Get Props In This Rap Game?? I'm an Asian Rapper from the City of Portland - and I've been putting alot of work into this Grind - but is it mission impossible? I don't think so, what do yall think? In the meantime check out my tracks My Site

mo-x

Sicc OG
May 4, 2002
www.unknownterritoryrecords.com
I think it doesn't matter... If you got your heart and mind set on doing something, you're going to succeed. I voted for that second option. Keep on keepin on and it wouldn't matter if you were from mars as long as you can fill a void or have a commercial sound.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Why not? How does being asian make it any different from being any other race? You have no dis-advantages, it wouldn't be any different if you were black or white, if you want it bad enough, it can happen. Look at Jin, he is chinese, nothing is holding him back. Just don't think your missing something because of color, music isn't about color, do what you do.

Peace

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
Man...

Jin is the ishy poo. He's got sick spits and he's about to blow up this summer. So that should answer your question in itself. If you fell you're not doing as well as other Emcees, don't blame it on race... it's bound to be your style/delivery/flows. Not everyone is tight... but it seems like everyone is doing there thing.

May 5, 2003
www.soundclick.com
When it comes down to it , it really doesnt matter it's all about the Skill..but honestly if you look at it closely..check this out...How many black or white people would really go to the store and purchase an Album from an asian kat talking about his lifestyle and culture? I mean look closely and be honest..Like how many asians or blacks are going to cop the new SPM joint? Do you think that when a rapper comes out it's better for him to have his music tailored for his peoplez? I know I bump everything regardless, but if you really look at the overall marketability for that particular race..the most purchases are from the people from that nationality. I'm not trying to be steretypical i'm just trying to raise a point , and make yall think for a second. Peace

Yeah-my opinion is still Asians can get there Props-

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
Ummm...

It's obvious that Asians will buy up Jin or Whites will buy up Eminem. People are more likely to buy things they can relate to. Cash Money Artists choose Bling... which many people want to relate to. Nappy Roots chose that Po' Life... which many people want to relate to too. That gangsta life is why the Westcoast popped off so hard, people wanted to relate. Jin is Asiaon, he's rapping about (among other things) Asian life. Asians will buy it 'cause they can relate. White kids relate to Eminem, 'cause he's rappin' about hard white kid life. It's all about audiences... there's no real point to be made in this argument, it's just a general fact that people buy into what they know, 'cause familiars are less likely to let you down.

I can' twait for Jin's ish... I relate 'cause he's a shit talker... that's good stuff. I could care less what he eats or where he sleeps, but others who eat and sleep the same are gonnabuy into that.

Hip-Hop is all a market, know your customers.

Apr 25, 2002
There's a whole lot of stereotypes an asian would have to overcome but if a 7'5" chinese cat named Yao Ming can play in the NBA, nothing would suprise me at this point. Regardless of that though, I'm skeptical of how willing the black & white audiences are to embrace an asian rapper.

They definately have a better chance at success with the hip-hop backpackers than they do the gangstas and hustlas.

Mar 13, 2003
www.billythefridge.com
Hehehe...

I've heard Jin's stuff. There was about a two week period last month where I went and DL'ed all his stuff. It's all cool, but some of his battles where sicc-wit-it, above and beyond the rest. He's about to pop off, this summer. Being in Fast and the Furious 2 and all, plus the album... done deal marketing wise.

Yao Ming, in my eyes didn't do that much for Asians. He's 7'5", expect him ot be in the NBA regaurdless of race. If he was 5'11" and making waves in the NBA, then he'd be something to go shits over.

Apr 25, 2002
the way i see it being filipino.

i've seen or heard people of the same ethnicity say oh i'm lookin out for jin.

same people who like anything mainstream on the raido and tv.

so it's that easy to get a market for those cats i guess.

at the same time on a race issue.

i honestly feel asains are one of the most stereo typed.

but for people who don't even trip on that that makes it easier on any asian trying to come up in the rap game.

and for all the others they'll stereo type and try to clown.

i think it's our time now though.

remember when you could'nt even see a commercial with an asian in it?

now they are starting to recognize us even though we don't have our own sitcoms or whut not.

but we have our own market just like any other race has their own market.

it will take a star to cross the color lines and i definately see it comin.

May 5, 2003
www.soundclick.com
Damn, alot of these posts are true as fukk... but peep game..Me and my homeboy THAI are abouts to Drop bombs to a hood near you-! Keep your eyes out for the new LP "Together We Rize" its some shit mainly for the G'z and Hustla's but there's radio play shit, some shit for the breezy's , some life shit , and u know all that good shiznit. And after being in the game for a while and peeping alot of the material out there from other artists, I personally think this is some of the best shiznit in the NW -No Joke. My homie finally got the distributioin deal so it's gonna be a phat ass project, anyways. Holla at me peace

Apr 25, 2002
Sick Wid It said:
They definately have a better chance at success with the hip-hop backpackers than they do the gangstas and hustlas.
LMAO, I love how you put that. It's so true.

I go to a real liberal school, and everybody here likes hip-hop. Nobody really cares for gangster rap. I guess it just isn't intellectual enough for them, or some bullshit like that. We've had 1 rap show this year, and it was titled "Middle Eastern Queer Hip-Hop." It was a bunch of gay Iraqi guys up there on the mic. Talk about a crazy combination. I thought it was horseshit personally, but that's not the point. The point is, people at my school were like "Iraqi guy cool, gay guy cool, hip-hop cool" so they liked what they heard. From the beginning, they wanted to like it. It's like with us SLR fans, when something new comes out, we really really really really want to love it, so we probly don't end up holding it to the same standard as something out of NY or LA. Until there's enough people who "want to" embrace an Asian rapper, I don't think a major label will sign and promote one. If one will make it, it'll have to be from the underground, and he'll have to have unbelievable talent to do it.

May 5, 2003
www.soundclick.com
RealTalk...Jin is a chinese kat who got signed to Ruff Ryders and is going to be in the upcoming movie Fast and Furious 2 , so I think were going to see alot of changes in the game this summer - my opinion..anyways peace