Can anyone see that "star" near the moon right now?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 21, 2002
Sacramento, CA
I'm in Elk Grove, CA - just south of Sacramento. The OL just got home and told me about this "orange star thing" near the moon. I've been alive over 32 years and I've seen some rare things with the moon, but never this before. It looks somehow closer than it should. Not moving as far as I can tell. A satalite explosion? Checked CNN Science & Tech but nothing refering to any kind of visable anonomly tonite.

Anyone else see it?

May 21, 2002
Sacramento, CA
I checked again and it's still there in the same spot. Although it looks like a true star again, it appears closer than the moon, or not quite as far off as an actual star. Anyway, not that the moon doesn't share the sky with countless stars, but I can't say I've ever seen one so close yet be so visible. The next nearest star in the sky is really far away.

Any astronomy buffs out there?

Aug 8, 2003
yeah if its orange then its mars... mars is supposed too be the closest its been too earth like in 60 years or some shit like that.. its peak was at halloween.. if ur refering too the purplish start a N,NW of the moon then thats venus

Jun 18, 2004
DJ Mark 7 said:
Nah Coast 2 Coast is a show on am radio where they talk about the galaxy, ghosts, aliens and the unexplained in general
Right on...do you ever see that cat on KCSM, I think it's channel 17 in SF, where the dude comes on and tells you the meteor showers, or Venus, or Mars, or the arora borealis is going to be visible next week type shit? That fool is funny..."Keep looking to the stars!" That's what he says at the end of his shows.

May 11, 2002
Yeah its the time of year when the Earth and the Moon are lined up perfectly. I can't belive the skies in Seattle are clear.

At about 5 today I saw a full moon while the sun was out.

Apr 25, 2002
i saw that shit like 20minutes ago..i was on the porch smokin a stoger with my cuzzin and no fuckin lie he happened to be takin a couple flicks of the moon with his cell phone...and thats when i noticed it...didnt think too much of it tho honestly but i didnt notice one bright "star" by the moon