Building new PC- What kind of soundcard??

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
What are your needs? Are you going to be tracking beats into your computer? Vocals? Sequencing/MIDI on the computer? Etc... Gotta know what you're going to be doing before a good recommendation can be made.

Jun 12, 2005
Sick Wid It said:
What are your needs? Are you going to be tracking beats into your computer? Vocals? Sequencing/MIDI on the computer? Etc... Gotta know what you're going to be doing before a good recommendation can be made.
I'll be doing everything in the computer. The only other piece of equipment I have is a midi controller.

MR. CLEEN

CEO/Producer of E&K Music Group
Apr 25, 2002
Get a MOTU... They got all differernt kinds... I run Nuendo and use the MOTU 24i. I can simultaneously track 24 sounds at once if needed. Check around for the type of MOTU you may need. Great sound quality.

Jun 12, 2005
MR. CLEEN said:
Get a MOTU... They got all differernt kinds... I run Nuendo and use the MOTU 24i. I can simultaneously track 24 sounds at once if needed. Check around for the type of MOTU you may need. Great sound quality.
Damn, the ones I just looked at were $1000. How is that any better than a $200 soundcard?

From what I read they don't run well with AMD processors (what I was planning on using). Would it be worth it to pay more for intel so that I could use a MOTU?

And how do they install? The MOTUs I just looked at look more like some type of desk mounted exterior hardware than the normal little soundcards that mount inside the PC case. Are we talking about the same piece of equipment here?

MR. CLEEN

CEO/Producer of E&K Music Group
Apr 25, 2002
MOTU would be exterior, but you would install the card so that it works internally with the computer. I have a Creation Station Pro with a Pentium 4, and I also used the same MOTU with my G4 and absolutely no problems using it with either PC or MAC. I can't answer the AMD processor question, but I do know that MOTU makes top of the line products.

Aug 12, 2002
YolaN'MyNose707 said:
I'll be doing everything in the computer. The only other piece of equipment I have is a midi controller.
With everything in the computer, you won't have a need for a lot of I/O. I would recommend that you get a sound card with at least 4 inputs and multiple outputs just incase you want to do something else in the future. Since I keep everything "in computer" as well, I've been quite happy with my M-Audio Omni Studio (which I think has been discontinued). I'm sure you can find a similar product though.

-=bumpus=-