Big Hollis Interview

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 15, 2006
http://www.illuminati2g.com/bighollisinterview.htm

Big Hollis is in the house with I2G for a interview. The producer has been cranking out many albums the last couple years, from a who's who in hip hop and we discuss that along with the concept of doing duo albums with major artists. We also talk about his upcoming solo album, West/South coming soon and much more so check it out.

Illuminati 2G is here with Big Hollis, how's it going?

What's crackin?

Tell me a little bit about how you got your start in music and who are some of your musical influences out there.

I started in 98, 99 and my influences are UGK, DJ Quik, Dr. Dre, so on and so forth.

Tell me a little bit about your DJing days in the group Street Talk Crew that Brotha Lynch Hung was a part of.

I started DJing with Brotha Lynch Hung and Triple Sicx, some old school patnas of mine. We had a group called Street Talk Crew and I would make some cameo appearances as far as rapping but mainly behind the scenes DJing and producing and stuff like that.

Did you ever think back then that Brotha Lynch Hung would have the solo career that he has had even back when you worked on Season Of The Siccness?

Yeah definitely because we had a sound that was never heard of and we just needed to get our music into a position to be heard. But yeah I always knew that he would make it, and all of us would actually get into position. Triple Sicx was another member of the crew, he ran into some legal problems that put him away so he is gone from us right now. Hopefully with the appeal process he will be back in it, but our work ethic was right so we just stayed at it and we were always creating new songs and trying to create a new sound. I always knew that eventually we were going to get to the spot that we were trying to get to.

You have done production for a who's who in hip hop. Who are some other artists and MCs that you are currently working with right now or did work for?

I just recently finished a project called Hard As Hell with Hell Rell (in stores now). I did a album with Sheek Louch from D-Block, I did a album with AZ, alot of east coast artists I have been working with recently. I also did a record with Gudda Gudda from Squad Up, that is from Lil Wayne's Young Money camp. Him and Lil Flip did a group record together that I produced, mixed down and engineered the whole thing. I did the last Freeway album, Philadelphia Freeway 2. I have just been getting it in bruh.

One thing I dig about you is that you have been a part of alot of albums the last couple of years, that have collaborations with different artists. Spice 1/MC Eiht, Brotha Lynch Hung/MC Eiht, Young Noble/Layzie Bone. People on the west coast have been wanting collabos like those for years and you have been a part of these, what are your feelings on albums like this and what they mean to hip hop?

I think that it is dope because our main objective is trying to bridge the gap. Between cultures west coast, east coast, down south, up north, the whole thing. Music is just one big community so our thing is to bridge the gap and get the best of both worlds and put them together on a record so that fans of each artist can enjoy a record from their favorites together and the artists grow as well.

Being that you are from the west coast, what are your thoughts on the music coming out of the west coast right now?

We need to step it up. We have not been able to adjust to the industry. Alot of west coast artists are still keeping that same traditional sound and we need to break away from that. It is keeping us pigeonholed and suffering as far as record sales go.

Do you have anymore plans to work with in the near future Bad Azz or anyone from the DPGC anytime soon?

I am good with Snoop, Daz, Soopafly and all them cats, but nah I probably will not be doing anything with Bad Azz. As far as that situation goes, we all still good.

Alright let's get into your new album. You are going to be putting a solo rap album out. What made you decided to put out a solo album after all this time?

Because I am DOPE! (laughs) I feel like I am the only one as far as Northern California goes that can really put this thing in perspective. I feel like my album will reintroduce the west to me as a solo artist and help bring that new sound I spoke about earlier to the forefront again.

Give me some details about the album. Guests, release date, single. What's going on with the album right now?

The first single is a street warmer called King Of The City. It is produced by my boy Vince V, and that is serviced right now to radio and we working on the video for that. That should be out soon. The album is called West/South and I have Lil Flip on the album, Bun-B, Donnie Frost from Mississippi on it, Layzie Bone, Keak Da Sneak, my crew is all over it, Goldie from the Federation, it is a real good, solid record.

Do you have a release date set for the album?

Not yet.

What advice would you give to a up and coming producer or rapper trying to get into the game?

From the artists perspective, I think artists need to pay attention to what is happening musically. Don't copy but find out a way how you as a artist can find into that musical world and make it your own. As far as producers, the same thing. Pay attention to what's happening, listen to the sounds that other producers out there are using, look at Billboard to see what the top records are and see what is the best equipment to use and try to get on that same level. Always try to create that next sound, focus on being the next pioneer. That is what I do, I focus on being a pioneer and trying to create my own sound and I am always changing my sound.

What is your myspace or website information for people looking to check out your music and see what you got going on?

www.myspace.com/bighollis1. They can go on there and check for updates. Just keep your eyes open for Big Hollis, because I am making it happen.

Well that is all the questions I have for you, appreciate you getting down for the interview. Is there any last words or shoutouts you want to get out there to the people?

Nah I just thank God for my position and everything that I have been blessed with. Without him I know none of this would be possible. I have produced 170 records that I am on. Out Of Bounds, which is the company that I own and operate, with my partner Pudgie and we have released 36 albums from our own catalog and we have had alot of great opportunities to work with alot of great people. Mac Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eightball & MJG and I am loving life and now I am about to embark on this solo thing and get out there and make that mark. Everything is good and I just want to shout out God for having my back.

Appreciate the interview.

Alright man.