Bay Rappers - Making A Living?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 14, 2003
I'm not in the music industry, just a consumer of bay shit. I wanted from the board some info about inde artists from the bay. My question is: Are most bay area artists/Ceo's really breaded that they dont have to make a living at a 9-5 or hustle and make illegal flow?

Do making records, collabos, performing, & producing mostly in an inde-regional market foot the bill in making a comfortable living given the bay is in a very high cost of living area and most artists are not signed to a major?

I'm planning on doing a bi-coastal book, or documentry DVD in the future on the economics of being inde-regional instead of a major label signee. I picked the bay because it has a longer more vibrant history, plus, California as a whole is one of the largest economies in the World.

Jul 20, 2002
if you got the sales you do make more money being independent but there's not alot of us that are making it solely on the music. I know that Black C got breaded out by Atlantic a while back for about a mill ticket but I don't know if he's still living from that.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
the bigger bay artists got alot of bread cuz they mastered that independant hustle, they probably got more loot then a guy on a major whos like a b lister cuz they see more money for albums sold than a mainstream cat. I bet for example Messy Marv saw more paper for selling his album which was in the 10s of thousands than some major who like went gold cuz of all the recouping and whatnot. Just an educated guess though

Mar 22, 2004
I know a lot of artists in Sac, Like Hollow Tip , and T-Nutty and a handful of others get cashed out up front by Indy labels and don't see anything from the sales, That's why they want to keep puttin out so many albums so they can get breaded.

Jun 30, 2002
if you are on a major, you are not necessarily making money from each cd you sell (since most likely you were fronted money for the project). Most artists make their skrill from concerts, merchandise, endorsements etc...