BAY AREA STAND UP - HYHPY CANNOT DIE!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 11, 2005
www.myspace.com
This article was written back on May 13, 2007 by someone at Mercury News regarding the Bay Area Hyphy movememt.

My response follows for all Bay Area Artists', managers', executives, promoters, mover's and shakers'.

Broyce Batchan, MBA
Manager for Tequila and various other Bay Area Artists'

THE DEATH OF “HYPHY”
or
(GOOD RIDDANCE!!!)

What happened to hyphy?
THE HIP-HOP SOUND BORN IN THE BAY AREA APPEARED READY TO TAKE OFF NATIONWIDE; IT NEVER DID, AND HERE ARE THE REASONS WHY
By Marian Liu
Mercury News
Article Launched: 05/13/2007 12:00:00 AM PDT

Just more than a year ago, the Bay Area seemed poised to become the center of the hip-hop universe.
The hyperactive party music known as "hyphy" was ubiquitous at clubs, on the streets and on local radio stations from San Jose to San Francisco, Fremont to Hayward and Oakland, all the way to Vallejo and Fairfield. It had been more than a decade since the Bay Area hip-hop scene had so much buzz - and it was palpable.

Mainstream publications, including Newsweek and the New York Times, featured stories about Northern California's rap scene being on the verge of exploding nationally. E-40, Mistah F.A.B., the Federation, Keak Da Sneak all were names synonymous with what was collectively being tagged the "Yay Area."

But something happened - or maybe didn't happen - between then and now, leaving the hyphy movement listless, with even local popularity beginning to dissipate. The music is not getting as much play on the radio. The few artists that signed with major labels have had their album release dates pushed back to summer and even later this year.

Numerous interviews with industry insiders and the artists themselves have revealed strong agreement as to why the scene may soon be left for dead: bad business decisions.

When dealing with major record labels, artists missed important meetings, asked for too much money and were too entangled in previous independent deals to consider new opportunities.

MTV and the record companies had a difficult time contacting certain artists, says Joseph Patel, Fremont native and MTV News producer of "My Block," a show that featured the hyphy scene early last year. "And that's unfortunate, because ... you only get one chance to get people's attention - and some of those artists were kind of blowing it."
The hyphy culture, which centers on a freewheeling attitude - drugs, partying and reckless behavior - sometimes led to violence at high-profile events, causing outsiders to focus more on that conduct
than the music itself. But while that combination of negatives can be seen as obstacles, none has halted popular hip-hop in the past.
"In the Bay Area, hyphy is kind of dead," says Mistah F.A.B., one of the genre's most popular artists, who was signed by Atlantic Records in September. "We've been doing it for too long," he says. "A lot of people are getting tired of it."

Some of his singles, like "Ghost Ride It" and "Sideshow" have been released as singles, but F.A.B.'s major label debut has been delayed from spring to this fall or maybe even winter.

"It's very, very hard for the Bay Area to be taken seriously by labels," says Wendy Day, founder of the non-profit Rap Coalition, which helps negotiate deals for hip-hop artists. Among her list of associations are heavyweights such as Eminem, Master P and Twista - all of whom have platinum albums (sold at least 1 million copies). The big record labels, she says, thought hyphy was a fad and was just regional. "Those two things are kind of the kiss of death," says Day, who also helped F.A.B. negotiate his deal with Atlantic Records.

"Hyphy hasn't really broken outside of the Bay," Day says. "It's still a very local movement."

One big problem, she explained, was that local artists were locked into messy independent deals that became a problem when the major labels came knocking.

There was one artist who signed up with three separate companies, Day says. "Majors were looking at him for different deals, but people kept surfacing and stopping the deal," she says. This happens in other parts of the country too, she says, but the difference is the ability to strike a deal so that both sides profit. "Here," she says, the smaller labels "are more interested in blocking than profiting."

Complacency set in While Will Bronson, co-founder of the independent label SMC Recordings in San Francisco, agrees in general with Day's analysis, he says that "blocking" happens everywhere, not just in the Bay Area. The problem, he says, had more to do with complacency than competition.

Everyone was satisfied "with the amount of publicity and the amount of attention we were getting. ... And we thought we were doing enough, but we didn't realize that we have to do even more," says Bronson, whose label has represented a number of rappers, including B-Legit, Mistah F.A.B. and Keak Da Sneak. "What was good enough for Atlanta, good enough for New York, good enough for L.A. was not good enough for us," he says. "We still have to build our foundation ... we're out here on our own, fending for ourselves, figuring it out for ourselves."

Even Keak Da Sneak, who coined the term "hyphy," admits that for a time, his business side was "haywire." The rapper, who's had a prolific but more locally focused independent career of 17 albums with four labels, moved from Oakland to Sacramento. He was making music and setting up his own shows while his cousin was answering phones for him. Now, though some say it may be too late, Keak has hired two investment bankers to help him.

Things are going well, says one of his managers, Johnny Montes, and they are continuing talks with labels and looking for the best ways to get Keak's music distributed.

Situations similar to Keak's, many confirm, are common in the Bay Area and help explain why its hyphy sound hasn't taken off like other regions that became national hip-hop hubs. Examples include the South for its "Dirty South" sound, Atlanta and Memphis for "Crunk," and more recently Houston, for its "Chopped and Screwed" style. Others point out that unlike those areas, the Bay Area lacks a seasoned music mogul - like Jermaine Dupri or a Lil Jon (both Atlanta-based producers) - who can guide and represent them to the major labels.

The vastness of California is also a factor, says MTV's Patel. While artists in the southern United States, for example, can play in one area and reach multiple states, Bay Area artists can perform all over Northern California and not even begin to break into the Southern California scene.

In March 2006, rapper E-40 - with Lil Jon as his executive producer - formally introduced the hyphy sound to the nation with his album "My Ghetto Report Card," which debuted at No.3 on the Billboard 200 and sold about 95,000 copies in its first week and eventually sold almost 500,000 albums.

E-40's album was a solid start for the genre and by all accounts should have kicked opened the gates for others to follow. But "there was no one ready to follow," says DJ E Rock, who works closely with E-40 and hosts a Bay Area rap show on Sirius Satellite Radio. "E-40 was hyphy. He was the movement. And it took its course when his record took its course."

Back in the day This was not always the case for the Bay Area. During the late 1980s and early '90s, the region's most notable rap stars sold millions of albums and were tied to established record labels: the X-rated Too Short (Jive), the funky Digital Underground (Tommy Boy), which also launched the career of the legendary Tupac Shakur (Interscope). And who can forget the flamboyant MC Hammer (Capitol).

"Back then, there was more identity, it was more creative to me," says Rick Rock, a producer who worked with the late Tupac and now with current hyphy stars. "Everybody had their own lane, and it was creative how it was coming - but now ... when I hear songs, it's all saying the same thing."

Still, the excitement about the scene last year was strong. And major label representatives began swarming in, checking out up-and-coming artists.

Here, too, missteps occurred.

Artists who had little experience negotiating at that level were overestimating their worth.

"These are people who have more friends on MySpace than sold records," says KMEL-FM music director Big Von Johnson, who helped popularize the hyphy movement by being the first to play many of its songs on the radio in late 2005. The contract requests were inflated, he says, with some asking for $2 million when they had sold only 2,000 records.

"It was bad business," Big Von says. "There was no sense and no guidance - just children running around doing whatever they wanted to do - burning bridges because they don't care, and when they don't show up" for appointments, "`Hey, it's OK.'"

They were basing their worth more on hype than actual potential to sell, says Sway Calloway, MTV News correspondent from Oakland. Multimillion dollar "deals are very rare unless you have seven figures worth of momentum going into it."

Momentum was something that seemed to elude the hyphy movement. And by the end of 2006 there were rumblings about where it was headed.

In December, the Bay Area Rap Scene (BARS) awards, a high-profile event that focused on honoring the best of the region's "urban" music scene - and by default the biggest names in hyphy - drew about 3,500 people to the San Mateo County Event Center. It was supposed to be a showcase event for the scene, but it started late and was shut down early by police because of overcrowding and fights among the audience members.

$100,000 in the red It left the event's founder, known only as Booyowski, in the red about $100,000 and quite sure that hosting another awards show would not make financial sense.

Despite the letdown at that event, Ozone, a hip-hop magazine based in Orlando, Fla., started a West Coast section in March this year. But that section's editor, N. Ali Early, already is convinced hyphy's time is up. "The Bay Area moves so fast. ... There'll probably be something new in the summertime."

Paul "Big Paul" Tu'ivai, an executive at major label Universal/Motown, who started his career interning in the Bay Area at KMEL, agrees. "I hate to use the word fad, but maybe it is a point in Bay Area history for the next thing to come."

Hyphy is "not the hottest thing right now," concedes Young L, 19, the producer and one of the rappers of the Pack, a group out of Berkeley. The group released an independent seven-song album in mid-December, but it sold slowly, and the Pack's April major label release on Jive Records has been postponed to July or August.

The hyphy sound won't disappear, says Bronson of SMC Recordings, but it has to evolve. "We can't keep using the same buzz words. We can't keep recycling the same tracks. ... People liked it because it was fresh and new." But "it has to go further. We have to be creative. We have to push it forward."

"MY RESPONSE"

"You know what, the industry has been defining and
blackballing this region for years and here we go
again. We can take it or we can stand up and deliver.
I believe the sins of some ill prepared artists'
should not be the death of THE most progressive and
unique region in the world. The Bay Area is a place
where collectively we should be shining more than ANY
place in the world because our artists' are simply put,
better then most region's artists'. The solution
should be to mobilize a real summit with the movers
and shakers.

Those that have the brain power to make this area come
alive. Start with the brains and push it down to the
talent. There is not a JD or a Diddy here now that has the
financial wealth to make it happen, but I believe
there are sharp people here that can compete and
should not take a back seat to those guys.

Are we again going to let outsiders define us and
blackball us? They steal our lingo, and our swag and
run with it as their own! BAY AREA STAND UP!"

Apr 11, 2005
www.myspace.com
THAT IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT. THE BAY AREA HAS ALWAYS BEEN AN ORIGINAL PLACE AND THE SOUND WAS FRESH AND UNIQUE (EVEN IF MOB OR GANGSTA) AND NOW IT NEEDS TO GROW AND EXPAND. NEW ARTISTS NEED TO EMERGE, EVEN IF THEY ARE PRESENTED BY THE OG'S!

Apr 11, 2005
www.myspace.com
Whatever it is, someone else is still dedicating to the Bay how we are going to get our shine. All the artists' in the Bay need better management! How about that as indicated by the article! Address the issues and stop accepting what the industry tells you to do!

This was an article on the state of the Bay and how ill prepared the Bay is to shine in mobb, hyphy or whatever! We could not even put on a organized event to celebrate the Bay with the world watching!!

May 4, 2005
the bay area music scene cant rely on a "trend" or "movement" to take off ... how can you be surprised that people are getting tired of it with the amount of bandwagon albums that came out trying to ride the hyphy wave?

hyphy wont die... but this hyphy movement NEEDS to die .. be your self.. make your own music

Apr 11, 2005
www.myspace.com
IT'S HAS NEVER BEEN ABOUT A MOVEMENT, BUT THE BAY AREA GETTING ITS RIGHTFUL PLACE IN THE LIGHT. IF YOU HAVE FOLLOWED THE BAY, WE WERE BLACKBALL AND IT APPEARED THE INDUSTRY WAS READY TO EMBRACE US AGAIN. THE ARTISTS' AGAIN MAY HAVE MISSED THE MOMENT, BUT NOT BECAUSE SOME OUTSIDERS SAY OUR MUSIC IS NOT ON PAR WITH THE MAINSTREAM. WE ARE TRENDSETTERS AND NOT FOLLOWERS, BUT WE HAVE TO BE READY. EVERYONE WANTS TO BE INDY WITHOUT ANY REAL SKILLS TO MANAGE THEMSELVES.

HYPHY IS NOT A MOVEMENT IT IS A SEGMENT OF OUR BAY AREA CULTURE AND IT CAN'T BE DEFINED BY OUTSIDERS. EMBRACE IT, GROW IT, AND MAKE BETTER MUSIC.

Apr 11, 2005
www.myspace.com
I GUESS THE WRITER WAS RIGHT, HYPHY AND THE BAY AREA MUSIC SCENE CAN GO BACK TO BEING IRRELEVENT. ARTISTS MOVING 5,000 UNITS THINKING THEY BALLIN! CITY HALL AS THE ONLY DISTRIBUTION OUTLET AND THE MUSIC WILL REMAIN REGIONAL. NO MAJOR FACTORS IN THE YAY!

Apr 4, 2005
arguing over hyphy or mobb music is like arguing which child of urs u love more......STUPID........i got lyricals.......i got slappin beats......i got dance moves....and a face that drives women crazy..........but i'll never be famous cause i never got shot before.......oh well.......

Apr 11, 2005
www.myspace.com
YOU KNOW WHAT, I AM BEHIND THE SCENES AND I AM NOT TRYING TO SHINE BUT I WANT TO SEE EVERY BAY ARTISTS SUCCEED WHATEVER THE MUSIC. DON'T GET SHUT OUT BECAUSE WENDY DAY OR AGAIN ILL PREPARED ARTISTS TRY TO GET AHEAD AND THEY ARE BLOCKED.

I AM AN EXECUTIVE, SO I DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN HYPHY OR MOBB. I AM ONE WHO HAS CHANGED WITH THE TIMES. I WAS A YOUNGSTA WHEN RAPPER'S DELIGHT WAS HOT, SO RAP IS MY GENRE AND I KNOW GOOD MUSIC FROM BOTH THE UNDERGROUND AND THE MAINSTREAM. I LIKE HYPHY AND I LIKE MOBB. COUGNUT WAS FAM THAT LIVE WITH ME AND MY FOLKS IN THE V, SO I GOT A DAILY CONCERT OF FRISCO MOBB EVERYDAY FROM THE NUT!

I AM A BAY OG THAT WISHES WE COULD JUST GET IT TOGETHER AND TAKE OUR PROPER PLACE IN THIS INDUSTRY. THE ARTICLE REFLECTS OUR BULLSHIT ATTITUDES TOWARDS SUCCESS.

Jul 27, 2007
THE BAY IS ON FIRE AN IF THESES KIDS ACT LIKE MEN AN HANDLE RESPONSIBILTY WE CAN GET FAR IM GOING 2 DA BANK AND I WILL BE PICKED UP BY A LABEL BECAUSE NOT ONLY AM I A RAPPER/CEO IM A BUSINESS
MAN FEEL ME SO U BOYS BECOME MEN BAY AREA STAND UP

Aug 8, 2003
hyphy is going down the road MChammer pants and pogs have already been down..

how can you have a movement on something with such a narrow description? you ask many hyphy heads what is hyphy all about and you will hear "having fun, enjoying yourself" etc. it has no real purpose, no defined goal.. yeah, it put the bay in the spot light for a second, but that doesnt mean its gonna be worth while and remain in the spot light, why?? a trend is ALWAYS a temporary form of endearment.. and as with almost all trends, people move on to the next. Hyphy was an exscuse to push something, anything bay related except without considering its content. Acting stupid and pretending to be a retard was what first got noticed so muffuccas took that and ran a mile with it and turned it into a "movement"..just like I can yell "fire!" in a crowded room and get everybodys attention at first but afterwards everyone moved on and u still sitting where you were only lookin more like a dumbass..

start coming original and dont sell yourself short for a bandwagon. I cant take anybody serious who raps about "goin dumb" one day then when the trend dies off will start rappin bout real life street shit again..

May 4, 2005
broycelts said:
IT'S HAS NEVER BEEN ABOUT A MOVEMENT, BUT THE BAY AREA GETTING ITS RIGHTFUL PLACE IN THE LIGHT. IF YOU HAVE FOLLOWED THE BAY, WE WERE BLACKBALL AND IT APPEARED THE INDUSTRY WAS READY TO EMBRACE US AGAIN. THE ARTISTS' AGAIN MAY HAVE MISSED THE MOMENT, BUT NOT BECAUSE SOME OUTSIDERS SAY OUR MUSIC IS NOT ON PAR WITH THE MAINSTREAM. WE ARE TRENDSETTERS AND NOT FOLLOWERS, BUT WE HAVE TO BE READY. EVERYONE WANTS TO BE INDY WITHOUT ANY REAL SKILLS TO MANAGE THEMSELVES.

HYPHY IS NOT A MOVEMENT IT IS A SEGMENT OF OUR BAY AREA CULTURE AND IT CAN'T BE DEFINED BY OUTSIDERS. EMBRACE IT, GROW IT, AND MAKE BETTER MUSIC.
i know what your saying... its been a part of the culture before the movement, but you cant deny that the music changed suddenly