attn:Sick Wid It

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
What wid it boss! About the MPC, it's really just a matter of 'will buying this gear better suit my needs or the needs of my clients'? In most cases the realistic answer is no. But...a lot of these cats don't know shit. The first question people ask is 'do you use an MPC?' (which is usually followed by 'do you use a Triton'?). These dumb-dumbs think that because their favorite super-producer uses an MPC, if they buy one too, their music will magically become like theirs. Gear is only a tool, it's a creative mind and real talent that count the most. None-the-less, if your studio is open to the public, I'ld put an MPC in there atleast just for show.

If you arn't really going to benefit, spend the money on gear you will get more use out of. MPC 2000 series are common, you'll always be able to find good deals on them. Theres countless amounts of people who bought them thinking they'ld be transformed into their favorite super-producer the moment they turned it on but then found out real quick that making hot beats isn't as simple as buying an MPC.

People forget, an MPC is only a midi sequencer with a built-in downscaled sampling option. It's really only useful when you have a lot of midi gear you need to use at the same time (in which case you'ld want a 60, 60ii or 3000 since the 2000 series only has 2 midi-outs while all the others have 4).

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
'do you use an MPC?' (which is usually followed by 'do you use a Triton'?). These dumb-dumbs think that because their favorite super-producer uses an MPC, if they buy one too, their music will magically become like theirs. Gear is only a tool, it's a creative mind and real talent that count the most.
LOL!!!!!

I SWEAR THAT IF YOU HAVE A DUMB ENGINEER THAT DOESNT LISTEN ALL THE GEAR IN THE WORLD WONT HELP YOU. THATS SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE. *RECENT* EXPEREIENCE.

@SIC DO YOU HAVE PRO TOOLS? REGARDLESS OF THAT WHAT ARE YOUR RATES? PM ME MAN IF THATS POSSIBLE.

:h:

S

SHOHEI BABA

i never knew why suge and them used to beat down engineers until i started recording in an older reel/adat studio in 1998...3

"Yo, I dare you to rewind that type to the beginning of the fucking song again"

Jun 3, 2002
www.aod-org.com
MPC 2000 = Shitie sampler, akai's 2000 series is a joke.
MPC 3000 = Real sampler.
MPC 4000 = AKAI once again releasing a new product with a unfinished OS and letting it's buyers be there beta testers. Haven't read much into the sampler part of it even though it is based on the akai Z8 series which had pretty good reviews.

May 13, 2002
view, the 2000 is alot more complete than a 3000,the sampler has better filters, and poly, mono and note on/off ,also it can import alot of formats. the 3000 has more midi outs but thats it,its outdated ,the 4000 is a monster it has full blown synth,with a keyboard controller you dont need anything else

Apr 25, 2002
The S3000 sample engine was built on the S2000 engine base. The S3000 engine is more complete & robust. Basically, the MPC 2000 series is a chopped down 3000 with some cheap add-ons to still make it appealing.

The MPC 2000 series exists only to make the MPC product available to a wider range of consumers. Meaning, 'lets cut some corners to make it cheaper so people without any money can afford one'.

MPC's might use the same sample engines from the S-Series samplers but the MPC (with the exception of the 4000) is by no means intended to be used as anything more than a midi sequencer with drum sampling capability. It makes no sense to me why people would buy a product called a Midi Production Center and expect it to be a full-blown sample workstation complete with filtering, effects and what-not. If you are getting all that and only paying around $1000-$1200 new...obviously you arn't getting top-of-the-line.

Plenty of people want an entire production studio contained in one piece of equipment but even with all the advances in technology, you still won't (and don't) get that without making sacrafices.

May 13, 2002
sick, the 2000 is way more up to date ,for downloading wav files also the 3000 only has cycle mode for the drums which sucks to me ,

also the engine in the 4000 is based on the z series, you can load and play multi layer samples,ie pianos,strings, etc ,it really dont matter that much to the average person but the way i work i need the features of the 2000 not the 3000 , also i think its a good move for any producer to have a mpc handy,shit i run four mods of of mine with no problems

Apr 25, 2002
The S-3000 series (used in MPC 3000's, hence the name) is a more advanced sample engine than the S-2000 series (used in MPC 2000's, hence the name again). That's speaking strickly about the sample engines.

The MPC 2000 does come with more 'features' than an MPC 60/60ii/3000.

If you are talking about trying to cram as much crap as possible into a box, then yes the MPC 2000 series is more up-to-date. For me, the MPC 3000 is better because of its better sample engine than what comes with the MPC 2000. I don't need effects or anything like that built into a midi sequencer.

Maybe I didn't explain my point clear in the first post.

Also, the Z-series sample engine is definately more advanced than the 1000/2000/3000 engines. No doubt!

It's true that you should get what best suits your needs. I just think a lot of the rookies buy stuff like MPC's without really having any understanding of what the differences are, that's all.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
i honestly dont understand why people sequence with an mpc. in my opinion you can do a lot more with a pc or mac based sequencer. yeah you dont have to worry about crashes and what not but when your oding stuff at 1 2 or 4 am who wants to look at a lcd screen? i need a 17 inch monitor or larger.

i need to actually see what im doing.

thats just my opinion playas.

@sick im gonna reply to that pm now by the time you read this it should be in your box.

@kev ski whats up man? whats up with your film project?

:H:

Aug 12, 2002
HERESY said:
i honestly dont understand why people sequence with an mpc. in my opinion you can do a lot more with a pc or mac based sequencer. yeah you dont have to worry about crashes and what not but when your oding stuff at 1 2 or 4 am who wants to look at a lcd screen? i need a 17 inch monitor or larger.
That's why I keep it all computer based. I like to sequence while
getting a visual look at the song, plus it's so much easier for note editing and tweaking. Another added bonus of a pc is the ease that you can set up a default template for your songs so that you can get working quickly without a lot of hassle and setup.

-=bumpus=-

May 13, 2002
hersey, i use a mpc to sequence with cuzz of the way i work, if the shit aint right i replay it till it is , i dont tweak shit thats cheating to me ,if my ears tell me its not right then i dont need my eyes to fix it bottom line, the mpc 2000 is one of the best buys ive made in the 14 years ive been in music and would be one of the last pieces of equipment to leave my studio

Apr 25, 2002
Kev Ski just gave up kind of a big secret!

Anyways... I've used (and sometimes still do) computer sequencers before but honestly I'm not as fast with them. The very first piece of equipment I got was an MPC and I'm at a point where I hardly even have to look at the screen. I'm so used to it, I just feel at home on an MPC.

Same with the sequencer in the Korg Triton. I've gotten real fast with that too. It's very easy to completely song mode. I ain't mad at the Triton Studio screen being 6x faster than the Triton Classic either!

And I'll give the ASR10's sequencer some honorable mention. It can't do much but it's very simple and only takes a few hours to master.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
@kev you and i had this convo when i was at your lab. pc vs MPC. yeah you are supposed to go by your ears. in fact thats the ONLY thing you can rely on in this game. i just like to see the song layed out in front of me. it also allows me to make at least 4 different versions of the song. maybe i could start it off with pianos, bass, hi hats and some other sounds. version 2 might start with strings, kick drum, piano and guitar. version 3 might start with guitar, bass hi hats and strings. i just like hearing different versions of the track. that allows me to be very creative.

can you do that on the mpc? im sure you can. how long does it take? im sorry man i cant look at that screen. its a cool machine and it has a purpose in a lot of studios but i have no need for an mpc or its sequencer. now if i ran the mods and synths that you do i would see a reason to own one.

when i tweek notes its not because i have screw ups. its because i "may" want a note to be longer than i actually played it. i can see how long i want the note to sustain. i can move individual notes around at ease. rearange the bass or piano chords at will.

by the way pimp if it aint broke dont fix it. that machine works for you and you have created masterpieces. i heard your work so i know first hand bro. i just cant get into the MPC/TRITON combo. too many people using them. too many people think that if you own one of those.......never mind sick wid it already explained.

@sick when i first stepped foot in a studio and payed for studio time the guy didnt have an mpc. he sequenced on a pc. i dont know what program he had. all he told me was that "its an old program its crap". he told me that but i was able to grasp the concept behind it. thats how you lay your intro,verse,chorus etc etc etc etc. i ALWAYS knew that you needed different sounds and what not in each section and so i thought the pc was the way to go. i didnt know what an mpc was until 6 months after i purchased my xp60 (which i have tried to sequence on once).

i feel $1500 on a pc is a better investment than $1500 for an mpc.

if i tried to sequence on an mpc (its one around the corner from me that im welcome to use at least 8 hours a day for free) i would feel like im taking a step backwards.

:H: