@ anyone who really knows. A question about the bible.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 6, 2003
So i read on the intranet that Jesus was never crucified on a cross it was a pole. Something about the greek word 'STAUROS' Which means a pole but when translated was translated as cross. i'm not sure. i'm kinda confused. is it tru?

Apr 4, 2003
webmedia.bcit.ca
I honestly think the bible is a fabricated piece of text that religious nuts take completely too seriously. The fact of the matter is that while god can create universes, man creates bibles which really brings out the question weather or not you could trust a book written by a human, and you know how people like to twist shit!

Sep 6, 2003
Well, either way. If the bible was all false it is still one of the longest lasting peices of literature, and I for one can respect that. Now, all i really want to know is if it is true that in the Greek new testiment that it says that jesus was crucified on a pole rather then a cross. I heard that a cross is never mentioned in the greek version of the bible. The word "cross" in the New Testament comes from the Greek word stauros. The study of word origins shows that stauros simply means "stake" or "pole."

So wether the bible is fabricated or not i would just like to know if this translation mishap is true. Think about it, if this translation 'fuck up' is true then how many other translation fuck up's can there be?

Feb 9, 2003
WHITE DEVIL said:
Mac Allah.

The answer is it was a cross, but it didnt have a headboard. Imagine a T. There was no top part above where the beam and pole intersected.
Not necesarily true. The fact is no one knows HOW Jesus was crucified because the bible doesn't give us much of a description. What we do know is that the Romans used three types of crosses/poles/stands to crucify people. One of them was shaped in an X. This we know wasnt the one that was used because of the way it is said that Jesus was crucified. Then we have the other two options. The traditional t or the T. Of these two any could have been used, what people don't know is that jesus never carried a cross, it was waaaayyy too heavy for any one man to carry, what he carried was a pole (the cross beam). The - that when added to the | make the t or the T. I believe that Jesus did not die on a beam, it had to have been a T or a t. We also do know he died on the cross because when Longinus (sp?) punctured his side water and blood came out, water and blood only flow to the bottom of the body like that when one is dead.
P.S this whole Stauros thing I believe used to be JW Dogman which has been refuted which proof.
P.P.S Cruxifixions were horrible, only few people were ever actually cruxified, mostly slaves. What they would do is place you on the cross, either tied down or nailed, and then would brake your legs. Your legs you would need to breathe because of the position in which your body was placed on the cross, ultimately one would sufficate to death. Most people lasted a few days but because Jesus (unlike most others) was beaten he didnt last as long. (most of this is coming from the top of my head, so if any one could refute this i would appreciate their help)

shep

Sicc OG
Oct 2, 2002
MEXICANCOMMANDO said:
P.P.S Cruxifixions were horrible, only few people were ever actually cruxified, mostly slaves. What they would do is place you on the cross, either tied down or nailed, and then would brake your legs. Your legs you would need to breathe because of the position in which your body was placed on the cross, ultimately one would sufficate to death. Most people lasted a few days but because Jesus (unlike most others) was beaten he didnt last as long. (most of this is coming from the top of my head, so if any one could refute this i would appreciate their help)
not true.... a lot of people were crucified

also, and slightly off topic, one of the reasons that the romans put the boulder in front of the cave that jesus was in was because they knew that SOME of the time, when people were taken off the cross, they weren't always dead. whether or not this is the case for jesus can be debated, just as the actual existance of jesus is very uncertain

Feb 9, 2003
That's my point, none of us where there. But we can logically and scientifically (there's that word) deduce which most likely was the case. As to who cares? Well Mac Allah for one, and any one else who cared enough to respond to the topic.

Dec 2, 2002
therealtechn9ne.com
shep said:

also, and slightly off topic, one of the reasons that the romans put the boulder in front of the cave that jesus was in was because they knew that SOME of the time, when people were taken off the cross, they weren't always dead. whether or not this is the case for jesus can be debated, just as the actual existance of jesus is very uncertain
i think it also had to do with the apostles(sp) n them wantin to steal his body n shit

Feb 9, 2003
shep said:
you are correct. I should have been a tad more clear, when I said people I was referring to the Jews. Jews, even the Hellenistic ones, were against Crucifixion, They prefered to stone people to death instead. As a practice of capital punishment they would stone them and hang them.
shep said:
Well Jesus WAS dead. As I said people would have their legs broken so they would sufficate. Two of the people with Jesus had their legs broken and when the Romans got to Jesus they saw that they didnt have to. Also when they pierced his side water and blood came out, this i believe only happens to those who have died as the water and blood sinks to the bottom of the body.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
I actually answered this question almost a year and a half ago when someone said it was a contradiction. In the KJV (or just about any *ENGLISH* translation) you will come across a verse or two that says Yeshua (jesus) was HUNG on a TREE (or pole/stake).

When you look at the GREEK words used in those passages you will see that the word HUNG translates to being suspended/propped up. The GREEK word for TREE (in those specific verses) is translated as WOODEN DEVICE or CRAFTED WOOD OBJECT.

If you take the bible and read it without proper knowledge or at LEAST some knowledge of the languages you will be lost. Get yourself a Torah, Vulgate (or Septuigant), a strongs concordence and greek lexicon.

:hgk:

BTW HITLER WAS IN SEARCH OF THAT VERY SPEAR.

Apr 14, 2004
shep said:

I don't believe that is true...they broke those people's legs because they wanted them dead for certain. They wouldn't have taken them down if they weren't dead. And where does it say that other people were held in a tomb covered by a boulder? They coverd the tomb like that to keep the body safe...many people would have stolen his body in an instant, for many different reasons. But most of all...Jesus' existence is not debated. If it was, why do we learn about him as a historical person in school(religious teachings aside) and as a philosopher? What is debated is his resurrection.

And for clarification....(Young wino) He wasn't killed by the spear...it was to only make sure he was dead.

Jul 24, 2002
www.soundclick.com
Ya'll need to look at the history of crucifixions.
People were crucified on trees and posts. The victims were forced to carry their own arm poles....

As for tree hanging, that was for blasphemers.
A practice that still happens today in parts of the middle east....

Sep 6, 2003
@HERESY

I'm directing this at you because you seem to be the most educated on the topic. I was just wondering as someone who has VERY VERY little bible knowledge. Where is a good place to start reading the bible, what version, why is there so many different versions. I am not trying to find god thru the bible. I would just like to read it and see what's up with this book that has been translated, and reproduced more then any other book in history. I don't know greek or hebrew but i'd like to read a version that keeps it as real to the original as Possible.

Thanks.