Any mechanics in the house?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 4, 2002
so i have a 2000 ford taures and i the temperature needle isnt working, and since it stopped working the heater and air cond dont work either....sometimes the needle works, like it will go up and then drop and sometimes it will take a looong as time for it to go up to normal, then the heater will kick in.....any ideas on what the problem may be?

i would like to fix it myself if possible, my dad and i recently replaced two pullies cus the t belt kept wearing out, that was a bitch to do and now this temperature shit is happening...i probably wanna sell it but who the hell would buy it in the middle of winter with no heater lol

my dad was sayin something about some temp sensor i dunno

Jul 4, 2002
wheres the knobs? like the knobs to the heater to turn it on? cus those work, the air blows fine it just dont get hot, but once the temp needle goes up, then the heater works..

Dec 9, 2005
Not a mechanic, but instead of trying to do this yourself, if you don't know what you're doing, I'd try Craigslist, and just go to the services part. Theres always a mechanic, who does sidejobs, and it will be pretty cheap, compared to bringing it to a shop, or trying to fix it yourself and messing something up.

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Your first problem, was buying a FORD!

It could be your water pump, my best friend is training to be a mechanic and works in a couple shops, so if I talk to him I'll ask him what he thinks...

But my guess is the water pump, or something inside your dash, that you won't be able to get to unless you take it to someone who knows that they're doing.

Don't go to a dealership, they WILL fuck you. If anything, go to a local shop that has a good reputation and won't charge you out the ass for labor.

And it has nothing to do with warming up your car, although, you should always warm up your car for at least 5 minutes in the morning (and if it's cold, 10 minutes is better).

Jul 4, 2002
anything newer than a 1990 dont need to be warmed up, thats just a myth babe

aamco charged me 700 bucks to put a speed sensor in...fuckers!

I AM

Some Random Asshole
Apr 25, 2002
Not if you're talking about gas usage (I dont' think, could be wrong). It doesn't hurt to warm up your engine if you're going to drive a short distance. It also causes your muffler to wear out if you start and stop all the time, I believe, because of certain fluids and build up that get caught in there.

By the way, if it's not necessary to warm up a car....why does every car I drive, drive differently when it's warmed up versus cold and just started?

I'm no expert....just relaying information that I've been told...

Nov 1, 2005
sounds like u might have an electrical problem.also,make sure the thermostat aint stuck open.might be letting coolent run through ur engine too soon and not letting it warm up.

MKB

Sicc OG
Dec 19, 2002
Could be your heater core is clogged but I think if it were that or the water pump the car should overheat since the coolant isn't circulating. If its the thermostat that is easy to fix and if you want to check it just pull it out and if it is closed boil it in a pot and make sure that it opens when the water is hot if it wont open you just need to replace it.