An INTELLIGENT discussion about Quinn

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 12, 2002
dope.st
Y'all hating dude in the major label thread for saying Quinn is overrated like its blasphemy - you should be mad at him for not explaining his reasoning, he's entitled to the actual opinion. You can be dope and yet still be overrated.

I actually think it's an interesting view. I was listening to The Rock yesterday and started wondering exacting the same thing, like has dude been overrated because he should have been major by now and time is passing by.

I been a fan of Quinn for the longest since Young Baby Boy and Live & Direct, on mic skills alone I'd speak on him over anyone in talking about who should blow. If the question is who was the world sleeping on, the answer was Quinn.

On lyrics and depth on the mic, dude is and always has been like three or four steps up on any other comparable artist in the Bay, which is why it has been so easy to consider him the most convincing ticket to the majors.

To me, I Give You My Word was the solidest, highest quality, most convincing Bay rap CD of this decade. That was time to get signed. I really don't know that he moved on or maintained that potential and momentum on The Rock.

Ain't no one denying that it was a solild product, but I really didn't see where it was going in terms of progression and realising Quinn's potential. I thought he kept it real but the CD was patchy and unconvincing to a wider audience.

When y'all talk about going major I look at a CD and say does this shit stand out, how many tracks could hold it down as singles, does the flow and style still sound fresh. I couldn't say that hand of heart about The Rock.

I don't pretend to be an expert, or in the music game, but I am a businessman with experience of seeing people investing in potential, and I don't see why this should be any different. They look at Quinn and look for the trend.

To me that trend isn't still going up. It can't be. Dude was fire five years ago, shit ten years ago. You can't keep getting better forever. Like someone said, his flow has changed; Quinn isn't going to get any better than he already is.

The Rock was a mature album, but why would cats invest in someone at that stage. Mature comes after the buzz has passed. It's aimed at the people who appreciate him. To a label it don't sound like new talent that would win a new audience.

I guess I'm just a realistic fan. No, I don't think dude in the other thread is right to just call him overrated but on the real, if we're talking about whether Quinn is in the same position to blow now as he was before, then I agree he IS overrated.

And shit don't be mad at me, y'all think Quinn is the truth and so do I, but I'm being realistic that time goes on and some chances pass by. That's just a fact of live, it ain't nothing on Quinn. Some of you need to take two steps back and see the big picture.

You can't progress forever, and you need to get picked up when you're on the up. It don't matter about age, it ain't nothing like that but it's about the stage of your career when your flow is building that buzz. Quinn's flow getting old now.

Just remember what was said after The Mighty Quinn. Peace... and if y'all can't discuss shit like this intelligently, get the fuck outta here with the hate, how am I gonna hate dude I been playing his CD's since the gate and put so many people onto him.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
that was a bit of a novel and i didn't read the whole thing.

Quinn isn't overrated though, he is no doubt the tightest rapper coming out of San Francisco. Hes one of my favorite Rappers, his last 2 albums were great. Live and Direct and the hustle continues were also bay classics. Dude was making smart clevor albums when he was still a teenager. This was when albums about shooting guns and trying to be gangster as hell was the in thing, Quinn blew that shit away when he was still a Kid. Live and Direct is one of those old school Bay albums that never got dated to me

May 12, 2002
dope.st
jayda650 said:
Quinn isn't overrated though, he is no doubt the tightest rapper coming out of San Francisco. Hes one of my favorite Rappers, his last 2 albums were great. Live and Direct and the hustle continues were also bay classics. Dude was making smart clevor albums when he was still a teenager. This was when albums about shooting guns and trying to be gangster as hell was the in thing, Quinn blew that shit away when he was still a Kid. Live and Direct is one of those old school Bay albums that never got dated to me
Fam I agree with all that... it's a shame you didn't read what I wrote (I know it was long, but shit, some people just want to talk hype or talk shit without ever justifying anything, I got to back my shit up). From the get go his classic material shits on anyone elses debut material.

I'm saying Quinn is dope. And Quinn is not overrated on skills. But if you're talking about major labels and that he is still front of the queue, next to blow, that is overrated. A few years ago yes, but time has passed, Quinn a mature rapper now, he's not still bubblin.

I could NEVER use the word tired to describe Quinn, but you gotta just look and see all the albums and hear them in terms of progression like an investor would and realise he's been around for a minute and ain't gonna keep rising or developing as an artist.

Pz

Feb 22, 2006
I havent posted anything real for a minute, but something needs to be said besides tbib.

San Quinn's last album was an excellent piece of work. I did not feel it as much though as "I give you my word", but at the same time I feel he is still growing just like everyone in the Bay Area. I feel that with the right beats San Quinn could be one of the best MCs of all time. He came so hard on track with ti's beatsmith. What yall think?

Jul 6, 2005
Quinn still droppin hits!!! While you was writing the novel, Quinn was probably writing the next hit on his album. Yeah, your entitle to your opinion about age and progression, but I disagree, I feel you can always get better,your audience might be diffrent, but you can always improve. That just all falls into perception and how you view shit PLAY BOY, cause he's not on a major doesnt tell me anything but he's not on a Major homie! You made some minor points but overall I disagree. Cause a hustlah is going to keep hustlin' even though you think he ain't!

May 12, 2002
dope.st
ThaG said:
IMO The Rock sounds tired, and I kept saying it when it came out and got mad hate for that
No hate here, I feel the same way and I will rep Quinn to the fullest and always have done, but on BART people need to drop the act, acting like the next thing is always the best thing.

I know cats need to be current but it even does Quinn's history a disservice to say he's still where he was at a few years back. It used to be Quinn going major fo sho, then maybe a few others. Now the others are all going major.

It seems like people don't remember when I Give You My Word dropped and it was back to back classic, and KMEL had San Quinn day and the buzz was like the culmination of nearly a decade of heat and support.

The Rock was a mature album and shit came across like that. It didn't seem like it was carrying a buzz so much as consolidating where he'd got to. I don't see where he goes from here as far as major labels go, it's like that's passed.

510Rider said:
I havent posted anything real for a minute, but something needs to be said besides tbib.

San Quinn's last album was an excellent piece of work. I did not feel it as much though as "I give you my word", but at the same time I feel he is still growing just like everyone in the Bay Area. I feel that with the right beats San Quinn could be one of the best MCs of all time.
I feel ya, that's what I'm saying, everyone is like TBIB no one says exactly how each artist going to do it, because Quinn has had his buzz for time and it still hasn't happened, when not so long ago he was top of everyones list.

I agree that on skills Quinn could be one of the best MC's of all time, but at some point you need to ask questions why it ain't happening. When I said y'all remember the Mighty Quinn, I'm surprised no one thought about that.

WaltLIQUOR said:
Yeah, your entitle to your opinion about age and progression, but I disagree, I feel you can always get better,your audience might be diffrent, but you can always improve. That just all falls into perception and how you view shit PLAY BOY, cause he's not on a major doesnt tell me anything but he's not on a Major homie! You made some minor points but overall I disagree. Cause a hustlah is going to keep hustlin' even though you think he ain't!
Props on choppin it up like that. I can't be mad. My opinion was not about age but about major labels investing when the trend is on the up, whereas that moment seemed to have passed.

Don't get it twisted, this is not hate, I'm talking about this out of respect for Quinn and wondering what's up next because I really have been wondering if we're outta pocket to still talk about him in major label terms.

I know this is all only about not being on a major, and as JT proved that ain't nothing to your game, but from the other thread dude got bashed for calling him overrated by people who say he should be major. So who's right then...?

And true dat, as far as always improving. I can dig that.

Festus said:
errer since he was a yung buck he had spiutz
Doggie, you've posted 70 times in less than an hour and three times in this thread. <---- Sicctunes if over there, so go thattaway ---------------->

Sep 22, 2005
Independent all the way, till the day we make 10 millions...... SanQuinn, I don't know where but I heard him said it.. And yes, he's the truth and got wonderfull skills... The Rock is album that shows his maturity, it must grow on you, and I believe if he wanted he could get signed every day, but under which terms?
He's the CEO, it means 5-10$ per unit.. HipHop king of San Francisco, hero in Fillmoe streets, what else he could want? Worldwide fame? Signing autgraphs for the white 13-15 years old kids... That's just more pressure for him...

Apr 25, 2002
"the rock" album was something that would of appealed to the mainstream more than "i give you my word". i listen to bay shit and the radio. so as a mainstream fan also, "the rock" album would appeal to the mainstream. if both albums was to be pushed commercially i bet the nation would be all for the rock album.

it is a good point that an artist cannot continue to keep gettin better and better, but an artist can have a classic every now and then. cmon E-40 blowing up more than ever? his recent album aint the best in his career but it seems as if he's succeeded now more than ever. san quinn pushes quality and that is what matters. if it aint his best ever, fuck it, as long as I can knock his shit till i get tired of it.

quinn deserves what is due, and he is not overrated. give him those producers evrybody likes and he WILL become the next "most hated." (if you know what i mean). QUINN KEEP DOIN WHAT U DO.

Feb 21, 2006
www.trunkmuzik.blogspot.com
bigbosstalk said:
quinn is probably just being patient and putting out another good album so he has even more to offer to major labels (not that he doesnt already) but people who rush off and sign usually get stuck with a shitty deal
yeah youre right, San Quinn even said it many times himself. "Save your best work for the majors". Quinn also said he has alot of quality songs that didnt even make it on the "I Give You My Word" album because he was saving it for when he gets signed to a major. San Quinn gots what it takes just keep the faith and support

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
Quinn is still getting his money whether he blows up nationwide or not, all his albums do well in the bay and i'm sure he gets his bread for all those appearances he does for albums.

Some people didn't like the Rock, I thought it is in the top 3 albums that the bay put out this year

S-J

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
westside2000.cjb.net
I think Quinns last two albums were two of the best from the bay in the last 5 years, they are quality albums, Quinn is one of the top 3 rappers in the bay, he is underated if anything.