American Psycho (what really happened)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
I don't think this is a re-post, I looked it up first but sorry if it is.

What do y'all think really happened or what do you make of the movie? Did Bateman really kill all those people or did he make it up in his mind? If any of y'all read the book, you probably know better than someone that just watched the movie. I've heard varying opinions on this but there really is only one answer. I'm curious to hear what some of y'all think?

fillyacup

Rest In Free SoCo
Sep 27, 2004
i havent seen it for awhile but i think it was all in his head.

like when you are hearing someone but not listening to them but thinking of ways to shut them the fuck up..like that

Roz

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2009
www.facebook.com
Of course he didn't kill anyone... Patrick Bateman lived in his own reality that he was creating. It's what some people do sometimes when they have the ability to isolate, and think too much. The things he did in his head were manifestations of what he wanted to do, but could never accomplish. He just wasn't that guy. To me, the movie shows those with "power" can exhibit the same fantasy's as anyone else, and breaks down those mental bearers between us.

Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
The way I understood it and it's more in line with the book, but he did it. He lived in a culture that a serial killer could literally walk around and no one would notice. People didn't even know his name. None of his colleagues except the gay lookin clown dude for the most part knew his name, they all thought he was someone else. Even his own lawyer thought his name was something different.

When the police did the investigation, he was off the hook cause other people that thought they knew who Bateman was said he was with them the night of the murder because they confused his name with someone else's name. That's part of the reason Bateman got pissed to begin with at Paul Allen and killed him with the axe because he kept calling him Hamberstram then started talking crap about Bateman to his face when they went out to dinner together the night of his murder because he didn't even know that Bale was Bateman.

The real estate agent selling Paul Allen's apartment knew what had happened there and asked him to leave to not draw attention to the place she was trying to sell since murders had been committed there. It would've been harder to sell a place known for that.

In the end, Bateman realizes that his lust for blood would never likely end and no one around him even cared because it was like he didn't even exist. He even says the line when he's peeling off that facial mask. "I'm simply not there."

Roz

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2009
www.facebook.com
The movie walks the line better than the book and the book is more gruesome too but like I said, I really wanted to hear y'alls opinions. It wasn't til like the 5th time I watched it that he actually did the murders.

Did you see the scene, where he's looking at the planner, with pictures of the murders he committed? To me, that shows that he was just drawing it out from his day-dreams and the director was showing the audience, at the point, it had all been in his head.

May 9, 2002
Its a complete open interpretation and there is no right or wrong answer to what happened.

Personally, I think it DID happen. The movie (and more so the book) is more about the way the 1980's affected people in general, most notably their self-absorption, greed, and narcissism. Look less at the ending, and more about the overall product.

Jul 21, 2002
Oklahoma
www.youtube.com
Its a complete open interpretation and there is no right or wrong answer to what happened.

Personally, I think it DID happen. The move (and more so the book) is more about the way the 1980's effected people in general, most notably their self-absorption, greed, and narcissism. Look less at the ending, and more about the overall product.
that's really it. Everyone was so self absorbed that they didn't even know their friends names. Bateman, while being insane was the most sane amongst his group of friends to an extent. Either way, great storytelling and proves a point of sorts

Aug 24, 2003
just enjoy it for how you want to enjoy it, its mainly a commentary on 1980s materialism and greed and the destructiveness of the yuppie narcissist lifestyle. whether he killed or not is open to interpretation. you could say he killed and 'got away with it', or you could say he made it all up in his head after going psycho. the evidence supports both

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
seemed like it was all in his head and he was basically obsessed with trying to fit in and trying to live up to others lifestyles. In reality i believe Batemans true self was something along the lines of the dumb ass dude who tried to make a pass on him in the bathroom who was trying to seek Batemans approval throughout the whole movie.

Apr 2, 2010
Did you guys watch the ending and the brief intermissions where he revealed his intentions and mindset...Clearly everything was in his mind and it showed that blatantly several times..

Great film though

Oct 30, 2002
www.soundclick.com
I LIKE TO THINK EVERYONE REAL WAS MURDERED BUT IF IT WAS ALL IN HIS MIND IT MAKES SENSE.. I PREFER IT TO BE TRUE"IN THE MOVIE" THE HE DID IT.. EVEN IF THE DIRECTOR CAME OUT AND SAID NO HE DID IN FACT MAKE IT UP TO COPE ..ID STILL THINK IT WAS A GOOD FLICK.. I PREFER THE MURDERING JASON BATMAN

Jan 9, 2009
im sittin over here mindfucked because i dont see why you all are saying it was all in his head..

thats like my favorite movie and ive never came to that conclusion that yall have..
but anyway heres my favorite scene of all movie scenes:

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
This is the most frequently asked question in relation to the film, and the answer remains ambiguous. As with the questions of why Allen's apartment is empty, how did Carnes see Allen in London, and why people ignore Bateman's outbursts, there are two basic theories:

1) the murders are very real and Bateman is simply being ignored when he tries to confess

2) everything happened in his imagination

Much of the discussion regarding the possibility of everything being in his mind focuses on the sequence which begins when the ATM asks him to feed it a stray cat. From this point up to the moment he rings Carnes and leaves his confession on the answering machine, there is a question regarding the reality of the film; is what we are seeing really happening, or is it purely the product of a disturbed mind? An important aspect of this question is Bateman's destruction of the police car, which explodes after he fires a single shot, causing even himself to look incredulously at his gun; many argue that this incident proves that what is happening is not real, and therefore, nothing that has gone before can be verified as being real either. Of this sequence, Mary Harron comments "You should not trust anything that you see. Trying to feed the cat into the ATM is sort of a giveaway. The ATM speaking to Bateman certainly indicates that things have taken a more hallucinatory turn." As such, if this scene is an hallucination, the question must be are all of his murders hallucinatory? Interestingly enough, in the corresponding scene in the novel, the narrative switches from 1st person present to 3rd person present mid-sentence (341) at the beginning of the sequence, and then back to 1st person present (again mid-sentence) at the end (352). This is a highly unusual narrative technique, suggestive of a sizable sift in consciousness and focalization, and an altogether different narrative perspective. This lends credence to the theory that the entire sequence is a hallucination, which in turn lends credence to the suggestion that much of what we see in the film is also an hallucination.

However, if this is the case, and if this sequence does represent pure fantasy, Harron ultimately felt that she had gone too far with the hallucinatory approach. In an interview with Charlie Rose, she stated that she felt she had failed with the end of the film because she led audiences to believe the murders were only in his imagination, which was not what she wanted. Instead, she wanted ambiguity; "One thing I think is a failure on my part is people keep coming out of the film thinking that its all a dream, and I never intended that. All I wanted was to be ambiguous in the way that the book was. I think it's a failure of mine in the final scene because I just got the emphasis wrong. I should have left it more open ended. It makes it look like it was all in his head, and as far as I'm concerned, it's not" (the complete interview can be found here).

Guinevere Turner agrees with Harron on this point; "It's ambiguous in the novel whether or not it's real, or how much of it is real, and we decided, right off the bat, first conversation about the book, that we hate movies, books, stories that ended and 'it was all a dream' or 'it was all in his head'. Like Boxing Helena, there's just a lot of stuff like that. [...] And so we really set out, and we failed, and we've acknowledged this to each other, we really set out to make it really clear that he was really killing these people, that this was really happening. What's funny is that I've had endless conversations with people who know that I wrote this script saying "So, me and my friends were arguing, cause I know it was all a dream", or "I know it really happened". And I always tell them, in our minds it really happened. What starts to happen as the movie progresses is that what you're seeing is what's going on in his head. So when he shoots a car and it explodes, even he for a second is like "Huh?" because even he is starting to believe that his perception of reality cannot be right. As he goes more crazy, what you actually see becomes more distorted and harder to figure out, but it's meant to be that he is really killing all these people, it's just that he's probably not as nicely dressed, it probably didn't go as smoothly as he is perceiving it to go, the hookers probably weren't as hot etc etc etc It's just Bateman's fantasy world. And I've turned to Mary many times and said "We've failed, we didn't write the script that we intended to write"."

In line with what both Harron and Turner feel about the question of whether or not the murders are real, Bret Easton Ellis has pointed out that if none of the murders actually happened, the entire point of the novel would be rendered moot. As with the practical theories regarding the Carnes conversation, the outbursts and the empty apartment, interpreting the murders as real is part of the film's social satire. Ellis has stated that the novel was intended to satirize the shallow, impersonal mindset of yuppie America in the late 1980s, and part of this critique is that even when a cold blooded serial killer confesses, no one cares, no one listens and no one believes. The fact that Bateman is never caught and that no one believes his confession just reinforces the shallowness, self-absorption, and lack of morality that they all have. None of them care that he has just confessed to being a serial killer because it just doesn't matter; they have more important things to worry about. In Bateman's superficial high-class society, the fact that even his open confession to multiple murders is ignored serves to reinforce the idea of a vacuous, self-obsessed, materialistic world where empathy has been replaced by apathy. By extension then, this could be read as a condemnation of corporations in general; they too tend get away with murder (in a figurative sense) and most people just choose to ignore it, just as do Bateman's associates. In this sense then, Bateman serves as a metaphor, as do the very real murders. If the murders were purely in his head, the strong social commentary would be rendered mute and the film would become a psychological study of a deranged mind rather than a social satire. And whilst that is a perfectly valid interpretation, as Harron indicates above, it is not entirely what the filmmakers were attempting to achieve.

Sep 16, 2008
it was all in his imagination lol. remember how he shot the cop car with a pistol and it exploded? None of that shit happened hahaha