Advice on Printing Problem

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 11, 2002
First off i appologize if this post is too vague/in the wrong spot/stupid/etc.....

I have never really worked with Photoshop....but i have photoshop CS on my computer, and to save money, i decided to make my own flyers for a show. They turned out good enough for me...although obviously they arent anything close to what ya'll are making.......
but heres my issue.....
When it prints...its extremely pixelated.... and i know that its not a printer problem because its being printed on a top of the line xerox printer (can find out the exact model if needed) I assume i need to go in somewhere and change the DPI or resolution and that should work, but i thought i would ask on here since all of you know a whole hell of a lot more than me.......

I know that this is probably a small problem that ya'll dont want to deal with, but like i said.....i'm new to the game and can only hope to excell.......Thanks in advance

here is a link to the work if anyone wants to see it

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
It sounds like the image is too small and the settings when you print are blowing it up to a bigger size.

Design your flyer at 4" x 6" if your printing them out yourself. If your going to get the flyers pressed add a .25" bleed on to the size, and keep all the important objects/text inside the safety at about 3.75" x 5.75". Always design at 300 DPI CMYK.

If you do that (4" x 6" @ 300-DPI CMYK) the prints should turn out as good as they can get on whatever your working with.

Nov 11, 2002
Fist off, thanks for the quick replies...i'm tryin to get this situation handled by the end of the night so i appreciate the responses.....

DubbA said:
when you were making the flyer was the resolution 72ppi,you can change it to 300ppi and that might help . If you need info dont understand just write back PEACE
I have no idea...... A buddy of mine STARTED the flyer.... and i just took his idea and ran with it......so i didnt set up the file or anything......where do i find the ppi settings?.....

@ Mr. Samos
the file size is 4.25 x 5.5 inches......quarter page...and i did leave space on the outsides.......and the printer is printing 4 per page so its definately NOT blowing it up......
300 DPI CMYK? - is it too late to change to that? where do i find the setting?

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
In photoshop you can change the image settings by going to Image>Image Size

What you want to do is change the Resolution: 72 DPI to 300 DPI

The problem is now it's blown up, so you lose quality. In order to have a proper image it must be done right from the start.

You can change it to CMYK by going to Image>Mode and selecting CMYK but if it's in RGB right now then it probably won't help.