A-Wax word play probably goes over fools heads like planes!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 24, 2013
A-Wax's wordplay is decent but far from the best in the Bay.
Lil dee cosigned hus in terminal island in exchange for promo for a book. D-ray hooked it in the visiting room. Soon as hus left ti inmates figured it all out & was throwin pics they took wit hus out they cells on the block. All of this happened AFTER I declined on working wit town Thizz. Seem like I that took a lot of Oakland support from me but could just be oakland only likes oakland musically for the most part. I am interested in who all u think are so much better than me. Can u quote some bars from them? I want to check em out if they that dope. Gully dopest in the O to me I like Ronald Mack music too

mouth_my_nuts

🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻🖕🏻
Feb 16, 2006
I like the concept of the Maury dance and that's my favorite beat on the album. That song is clever and hella funny.

"That pussy been around tha block bro, you thought you had THA shit on lock tho, somebody else wit chips n cheese came, n reminded you it's Nachos"

" I know exactly what had happened tho, that bitch saw me wit 40 bands, she tried to blame her baby on me bro, I took that test and did the Maury dance."

Feb 11, 2006
"Me and my connect used to walk.laps in the yard."

Not exact as I cant remember what albums the track is on but..
"My lil potna always pullin up in brand new shit,Nobody Knows how he got it ,All they know is he got it."

you can go back to Sav timez or 65gz and see the nigga bout his word play from early mayne... always spittin bout some clever but real shit.

Free #RolexRuben

Jul 4, 2011
Lil dee cosigned hus in terminal island in exchange for promo for a book. D-ray hooked it in the visiting room. Soon as hus left ti inmates figured it all out & was throwin pics they took wit hus out they cells on the block. All of this happened AFTER I declined on working wit town Thizz. Seem like I that took a lot of Oakland support from me but could just be oakland only likes oakland musically for the most part. I am interested in who all u think are so much better than me. Can u quote some bars from them? I want to check em out if they that dope. Gully dopest in the O to me I like Ronald Mack music too

As far as newer artists go that are in a similar lane as you Blast Holiday is tighter lyrically. You arguably got better punchlines but Blast is better o/a. This one of his best verses imo:

"Seeing shadows smoke kryptonite
And when I wake, won't remember what I did this night...
Long as my kids is right
Forbid this life, with all the promises that's made to be broken
Scuba diving in a codeine ocean
Screw-driving, car feel like it's floating, through the backstreets
Rat Pack in the backseat
Sammy Davis and Frank Sinatra
Not the ones that'll whisper to coppers, big guns
That'll whistle and flock up 'fore the missiles come drop you
Share some words with Oscar Grant the third
Bet Johannes Mehserle get what he deserve
Pass my buddy the herb, to disappear through the
Clouds of smoke, this feeling that I'm feeling is dope
This rhyme chilling like my pen off coke
Cause this the illest shit I ever wrote
Secret society of criminals that never broke
Facing a double life sentence, all he got is hope, just to cope...
It seem like just yesterday we had no pots to piss in
No money to cop spliffs to put piff in
Cracked our first pyrex in your granny's kitchen
Closer to each other when the money was distant
Now he gone and I miss him, wishing I was with him..."

That's one of the dopest verses I've heard from any artist period. You got bars but imo there's a number of better lyricists in the Bay, some on the street hype and some on the conscious hype.

Dec 24, 2013
As far as newer artists go that are in a similar lane as you Blast Holiday is tighter lyrically. You arguably got better punchlines but Blast is better o/a. This one of his best verses imo:

"Seeing shadows smoke kryptonite
And when I wake, won't remember what I did this night...
Long as my kids is right
Forbid this life, with all the promises that's made to be broken
Scuba diving in a codeine ocean
Screw-driving, car feel like it's floating, through the backstreets
Rat Pack in the backseat
That'll whistle and flock up 'fore the missiles come drop you
Share some words with Oscar Grant the third
Bet Johannes Mehserle get what he deserve
Pass my buddy the herb, to disappear through the
Clouds of smoke, this feeling that I'm feeling is dope
This rhyme chilling like my pen off coke
Cause this the illest shit I ever wrote
Secret society of criminals that never broke
Facing a double life sentence, all he got is hope, just to cope...
It seem like just yesterday we had no pots to piss in
No money to cop spliffs to put piff in
Cracked our first pyrex in your granny's kitchen
Closer to each other when the money was distant
Now he gone and I miss him, wishing I was with him..."

That's one of the dopest verses I've heard from any artist period. You got bars but imo there's a number of better lyricists in the Bay, some on the street hype and some on the conscious hype.
I met blast wit fab and I forgot about him but I think he's cool people & dope. I don't know about comparing a 16 of his to my body of work. I know way more of my bars than his so I can't make the comparison honestly . I'm gonna check out more now. Who else thought and what's so dope about em? You make it sound like I'm not top 20 mc or someshit which mean I'm sleepin on alot

Jul 4, 2011
& u named a Oakland rapper lol
Bay hella bias to they own zone
The original post of mine you quoted was speaking on Bay rappers. It ain't about "Bay bias" when you're a Bay rapper yourself. Within the Bay imo the best lyricists doing it right now are Blast, GQ, Erk, A-1, BizYCasa, Lock, Gully and DaVinci. Truth be told I haven't listened to the majority of your catalog so possibly my opinion would be different if I were more familiar with your older material. I've heard quite a bit of your material from after 2010 and based on hearing that I think what I said before and what I'm saying now is fair considering all of the above I mentioned other than Lock and DaVinci weren't really musically active before 2010 anyway.

If you mean rappers around the country there's fasho more than 20 I consider nicer lyrically but lyrics ain't everything anyway. You had good beat selection on the new project (Pullin Strings) and your lyrics were consistently better than most of the other 2010s material of yours I've heard, I enjoyed it.

Since you asked though, other rappers I consider nicer lyrically:

Kevin Gates
Boldy James
Black Zheep DZ
Montana of 300
GOD
Isaiah Rashad
Kendrick Lamar
Chuuwee

Last edited:
May 22, 2006
Glad to see Awax bein celebrated. Well deserved. He was under rated n hated on for so long cuz the mob figz shit. Seems most people sided w hus, regardless of the massive evidence of his snitchn ways. Also seems the turnin point was the sxsw fight. And jack makin that stupid video tellin all kinda lies. Shout out Mally for the big shot.
Also releasing a bunch of high quality free albums made him tough to ignore. Really a smart and strategic business plan IMO. Seemed he was black balled for so long but he stood his ground and kept pushin n pushn and it's payn off for him.

Jul 4, 2011
Most bay area rappers fall off and get lazy over the years but I can say Wax has either stayed consistent or even gotten better. That verse posted above might be deep and heartfelt but nothing impressive as far as lyrics and wordplay.

You probably ain't catch what he was saying...

"Screw-driving, car feel like it's floating, through the backstreets
Rat Pack in the backseat
That'll whistle and flock up 'fore the missiles come drop you"

The "rat pack" he's talking about in this case is the literal Rat Pack (famous group from the 60's), the gun in the backseat and "the ones that'll whisper to coppers". He's talking about Sammy The Bull and Frank Lucas, two of the most famous snitches in America. The idea is simple (he's riding around looking for a snitch) but the wordplay is not.

The main reason I picked that verse though is because it's poetic in a way that most rappers can't write. You ain't gotta agree with me though

Jun 5, 2004
No offense to anybody and its good to see wax gettin the recognition he deserves... But wax has been one of the dopest around. I been bumpin awax for probably like over ten years. Go check his catalog so you can know a lil bit better of what ppl are talkin about. Once u hear more youll see hes a hella versitile artist, hes got trap influenced west coast music, hes got some hip-hop style shit... Hes got some laid-back flow weed type songs... Savage times has some harder type uptempo mobbish shit... But he does all that while being completely original and never trying to copy anybody, no matter what hes doing theres still nobody that sounds like him and he dosent try to sound like anyone.

And blast holiday is up there with wax lyric-wise, but at the same time i think wax is a far better artist because blast has lyrics and not much else... As much as i like blast's raps, i can only name a couple of actual songs that i thought were exceptional as a whole. Theres more to being a great artist than putting together dope raps on a beat, and its not necisarily just the hooks he needs to work on. I cant pinpoint whats exactly missing but its something... Idk if id catagorize him as a freestyle/battle rapper, but its something similar to how some of the greatest battle rappers in the world actually struggle to come up with songs because all they do is just spit flows. Blast dosent lack meaningness in his songs, like he dosent sound misdirected, his songs have a message and all...but its something else hes lacking. And im not meaning he should start selling out and do some hit single for the radio type shit, but maybe he needs to find himself a trademark or something to give him more replay value. And another thing thats holding him back is his beat selection.